Leonardo DiCaprio Latest Victim of Death Hoax, Still Alive And Well
By Anne Lu | April 11, 2014 1:46 PM EST
The Internet has killed Leonardo DiCaprio again. The “Wolf of Wall Street” star, who is definitely not dead, is the latest victim of the vicious death hoax reports online.
According to a dubious report, the 39-year-old seasoned actor passed away after an accident in Switzerland. He was said to be on a vacation at a ski resort when he struck a tree while snowboarding.
He was apparently killed by the crash, and was airlifted to a hospital.
“Actor Leonardo DiCaprio is reported to have died shortly after a snowboard accident earlier today – April 11, 2014,” the bogus report reads.
“The actor & novice snowboarder was vacationing at the Zermatt ski resort in Zermatt, Switzerland with family and friends. Witnesses indicate that Leonardo DiCaprio lost control of his snowboard and struck a tree at a high rate of speed.
“Leonardo DiCaprio was air lifted by ski patrol teams to a local hospital, however, it is believed that the actor died instantly from the impact of the crash. The actor was wearing a helmet at the time of the accident and drugs and alcohol do not appear to have played any part in his death.”
When the Daily Star asked about the news of the actor’s so-called demise, his representative “just about giggled down the phone.”
It’s safe to say the rep’s reaction means the report is very much false.
This isn’t the first time that DiCaprio has “died” online. In April 2009, he was also reported to have passed away, prompting his spokesman to issue a statement to assure his fans that he was alive.
His rep said at that time, “He joins the long list of celebrities who have been victimised by this hoax. He’s alive and well, stop believing what you see on the Internet.”
The “news” came from the Web site Media Fletcher, which is the same site that generates fake celebrity deaths. Just a few days ago, it claimed that wrestler-turned-actor Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson died while filming a movie in New Zealand.
Of course, it wasn’t true. Johnson was alive and well, and was tweeting from the U.S. when his death was reported.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- 'Fast & Furious 7': New Brian O' Connor And Dominic Toretto Scene Surfaces
- ‘General Hospital’ Spoilers From Nov. 24-28, 2014 Plus Additional Spoilers For Dec. 1, 2014: Thanksgiving In Port Charles
- Mariah Carey-Nick Cannon Divorce: Mariah Claims Infidelity, Nick's Affair With Amber Rose To Blame -- Report
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 7 Major Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Thoughtful in ‘Crossed’
- Taylor Swift And Harry Styles Spotted Together Enjoying A Concert; Songstress ‘Still Not Over’ 1D Singer—Reports
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- BlackBerry Classic (aka Q20) Keyboard Shortcuts Explained In A Quick Video
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia
- Amazon Black Friday 2014 Deals Start On Nov. 21, 2014 Including Limited-Time Lightning Deals And Deals Of The Day On Clothes, Toys, Jewelry, Watches, Bags, Accessories And Electronics
- Samsung Galaxy Note Edge Battery Life Test Shows Its Curved Display And Build Has Impacted Its Battery Performance