Australian Stock Market Report – Midday 4/11/14
By Steven Daghlian, CommSec Market Analyst | April 11, 2014 12:58 PM EST
After two straight days of gains and almost reaching a six-year high earlier this week, local stocks are falling for the third time in five sessions. The All Ordinaries Index (XAO) is down 0.9 per cent, with almost all sectors in the red. The weakness can be partly blamed on significant weakness from U.S. stocks overnight, particularly in the technology space. Investors are perhaps questioning the value of some market darlings in recent times.
The main indicator of the Australian Securities Exchange (bottom R) is seen in red shortly after the local market opened in Central Sydney October 4, 2011. Australian stocks eased 0.6 percent on Tuesday, pressured by falls in global equities markets in a fresh flight from riskier assets, but losses were limited after steep declines on Monday. REUTERS/Daniel Munoz (AUSTRALIA - Tags: BUSINESS)
Facebook and Netflix both slumped by more than 5 per cent, Google lost 3.6 per cent and Amazon dropped 4.4 per cent. Keep in mind that all these stocks have significantly outperformed the broader market over the past 12 months. Facebook is up 116 per cent over the year, Netflix is up 104 per cent, while Google has surged by a still impressive 39 per cent.
Almost all sectors are in the red locally, with the small IT sector down 2.7 per cent. The whole IT sector in Australia is smaller than Rio Tinto (RIO). The world's largest share registry, Computershare (CPU) is down 2.4 per cent, accounting software firm Xero (XRO) is slumping by 5 per cent, online car classifieds site Carsales (CRZ) is down 4.2 per cent and newly listed Freelancer (FLN) is down by more than 6.5 per cent.
The Bank of Queensland (BOQ) is in a trading halt at the request of the company pending news on an acquisition of Investec Bank and a capital raising. BOQ reported a slightly better than expected half year profit of $134.7 million for the six months to February 28. A higher dividend of 32 cents per share was also declared. Chief Executive Stuart Grimshaw considers the bank well placed to benefit from any improvement in Queensland's economy.
Coca-Cola Amatil (CCL) is down by 14.2 per cent following a profit warning by the beverage firm. CCL announced its expectation of a 15 per cent fall in half year earnings.
Casino operator, Echo Entertainment (EGP) is one of the few outperformers at lunch, with its shares up 11.4 per cent after confirming that new Chief Executive Matt Bekier begins his new role today. EGP is still down 28 per cent since the start of this calendar year however.
On the economic front in Australia, total economy-wide lending has fallen by 0.7 per cent in February according to a report. In China, both consumer and business inflation reports have come in a touch weaker than expected. The Consumer Price Index (CPI) is up 2.4 per cent over the year, while the Producer Price Index (PPI) is down 2.3 per cent.
The Australian dollar has fallen away from Thursday's high of US94.63c and currently sits at US93.8c.
At lunch, 956m shares have changed hands, worth $1.9 billion. 232 stocks are higher, 553 are in the red and 291 are unchanged
More from IBT Markets:
Follow us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Subscribe to get this delivered to your inbox daily
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Australian Stock Market Report – Midday September 16, 2014
- Australian Stock Market Report – Afternoon September 16, 2014
- Australian Stock Market Report – Afternoon September 17, 2014
- Australian Stock Market Report – Morning September 17, 2014
- Financial Intelligence Agency Suspends Sydney Remittance Firm Over Suspicions It Is Used To Finance Terrorism In Middle East
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Canadian IS Jihadist Who Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers