‘Supernatural’ Replacing Jensen Ackles & Jared Padalecki With Other Actors? Not Really, Says Writer Adam Glass
By Anne Lu | April 11, 2014 11:15 AM EST
“Supernatural” exec producer/writer Adam Glass incurred the wrath of the show’s fans after saying they were planning to replace Jensen Ackles and Jared Padalecki with other actors, a la “Doctor Who” format. Glass was only joking, of course, but some fans didn’t get that.
In an interview with CBR, Glass spoke of an idea that he thought would keep the U.S. show going for a long time.
“Every year, they thought, ‘That was it.’ And by the way, we’re being told that by network – ‘You’re on the bubble’ – and now look, here we are, ten seasons later. I joked, ‘Why not become the Doctor Who of America?’ Let’s turn around, take the boys as long as they can and eventually find two other hunters.
“I don’t know if anybody likes that idea outside of me, but I think it’s the kind of show that speaks to people and can keep going for quite a long time.”
For those living outside the Tardis, “Doctor Who” is a cult British series that has been around since the early ‘60s. The title character remains the main character, but has been played by different actors throughout the years. It is currently on its 12th Doctor, and is being played by Peter Capaldi.
“Supernatural” fans who have supported the show’s stars from the start naturally didn’t like hearing that. The show that is about brothers Sam and Dean Winchester who gank demons and save the world should be played by Padalecki and Ackles until the end.
Glass then received angry messages from fans who found his interview offensive, with some even threatening to stop watching the series if they replaced Padalecki and Ackles.
@AdamGlass44 with respect, I watch Spn for Sam'n'Dean and J&J--not for "two other hunters" or any other leads.
— wendy (@windykl) April 9, 2014
@AdamGlass44 @jonahweiland Side char, directors, producers & writers have come & gone. SPN can continue without anyone EXCEPT Jared & Jensen — Donna (@dmfNY) April 9, 2014
— Andrea DeMill (@AndreaDeMill) April 10, 2014
@AdamGlass44 It must feel pretty bad to be the heart/soul of a show for 9 yrs and then have a producer say it doesnt need you. Poor @jarpad — Andrea (@AndieNic) April 9, 2014
But the thing is that Glass was only joking. He said uttered the word “joked” in the interview, but there are those who didn’t catch up on that. The video interview on CBR’s site clearly shows that Glass was not serious when he made the “Doctor Who” comparison.
People. Watch the interview. I say I keep JOKING that we should become like Dr.Who. Of course there is no show without bros. #Supernatural
— Adam Glass (@AdamGlass44) April 9, 2014
Nevertheless, it appears that Glass has had enough of the hate that he has received so he opted to stay away from Twitter in the meantime.
Guys. I'm done. Can't do this anymore. To much negativity. Everything is taken out of context. Don't need this #Supernatural — Adam Glass (@AdamGlass44) April 9, 2014
#SupernaturaI is the greatest thing to happen to me besides the birth of my kids and meeting my wife. I'm taking a twitter break 4 a while.
— Adam Glass (@AdamGlass44) April 10, 2014
So there you go, guys. “Supernatural” isn’t going to follow “Doctor Who” any time soon, or ever. Padalecki and Ackles will play the demon-fighting duo until CW ganks the show off the air. Their job is safe.
Unfortunately, though, it cannot be said the same thing for Misha Collins, who plays the fallen angel Castiel. Collins said that he isn’t sure yet if the show will approach him to return for the tenth season.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Avengers 2: Capt.America Dances With Peggy Carter, First Love Returns
- Kim Kardashian and Kanye West Break-Up Furor Ceased: West Gets Turned on by Kim, Puts Rest to Marriage Trouble Reports
- Selena Gomez's Mystery Man Identified as Businessman Tommy Chiabra, Singer Flirts and Shares Same Towel with Him -- Reports
- NCIS Season 12 Spoilers: Fans Fear Cote de Pablo Not Coming Back, Tony DiNozzo Moving On from Ziva David
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Report: Duchess Expecting a Baby Girl, Prince William Wants 3 Kids [PHOTOS]
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- Sony Xperia M2 vs. Moto G – Specifications, Features and Price Showdown