‘Supernatural’ Replacing Jensen Ackles & Jared Padalecki With Other Actors? Not Really, Says Writer Adam Glass
By Anne Lu | April 11, 2014 11:15 AM EST
“Supernatural” exec producer/writer Adam Glass incurred the wrath of the show’s fans after saying they were planning to replace Jensen Ackles and Jared Padalecki with other actors, a la “Doctor Who” format. Glass was only joking, of course, but some fans didn’t get that.
In an interview with CBR, Glass spoke of an idea that he thought would keep the U.S. show going for a long time.
“Every year, they thought, ‘That was it.’ And by the way, we’re being told that by network – ‘You’re on the bubble’ – and now look, here we are, ten seasons later. I joked, ‘Why not become the Doctor Who of America?’ Let’s turn around, take the boys as long as they can and eventually find two other hunters.
“I don’t know if anybody likes that idea outside of me, but I think it’s the kind of show that speaks to people and can keep going for quite a long time.”
For those living outside the Tardis, “Doctor Who” is a cult British series that has been around since the early ‘60s. The title character remains the main character, but has been played by different actors throughout the years. It is currently on its 12th Doctor, and is being played by Peter Capaldi.
“Supernatural” fans who have supported the show’s stars from the start naturally didn’t like hearing that. The show that is about brothers Sam and Dean Winchester who gank demons and save the world should be played by Padalecki and Ackles until the end.
Glass then received angry messages from fans who found his interview offensive, with some even threatening to stop watching the series if they replaced Padalecki and Ackles.
@AdamGlass44 with respect, I watch Spn for Sam'n'Dean and J&J--not for "two other hunters" or any other leads.
— wendy (@windykl) April 9, 2014
@AdamGlass44 @jonahweiland Side char, directors, producers & writers have come & gone. SPN can continue without anyone EXCEPT Jared & Jensen — Donna (@dmfNY) April 9, 2014
— Andrea DeMill (@AndreaDeMill) April 10, 2014
@AdamGlass44 It must feel pretty bad to be the heart/soul of a show for 9 yrs and then have a producer say it doesnt need you. Poor @jarpad — Andrea (@AndieNic) April 9, 2014
But the thing is that Glass was only joking. He said uttered the word “joked” in the interview, but there are those who didn’t catch up on that. The video interview on CBR’s site clearly shows that Glass was not serious when he made the “Doctor Who” comparison.
People. Watch the interview. I say I keep JOKING that we should become like Dr.Who. Of course there is no show without bros. #Supernatural
— Adam Glass (@AdamGlass44) April 9, 2014
Nevertheless, it appears that Glass has had enough of the hate that he has received so he opted to stay away from Twitter in the meantime.
Guys. I'm done. Can't do this anymore. To much negativity. Everything is taken out of context. Don't need this #Supernatural — Adam Glass (@AdamGlass44) April 9, 2014
#SupernaturaI is the greatest thing to happen to me besides the birth of my kids and meeting my wife. I'm taking a twitter break 4 a while.
— Adam Glass (@AdamGlass44) April 10, 2014
So there you go, guys. “Supernatural” isn’t going to follow “Doctor Who” any time soon, or ever. Padalecki and Ackles will play the demon-fighting duo until CW ganks the show off the air. Their job is safe.
Unfortunately, though, it cannot be said the same thing for Misha Collins, who plays the fallen angel Castiel. Collins said that he isn’t sure yet if the show will approach him to return for the tenth season.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- ‘Mad Men’ Season 7 [Final Season] Update: Jon Hamm Talks About Surprises And Things Looking Up
- Nina Dobrev Moves On From Ian Somerhalder: ‘TVD’ Actress Trying To Reconcile With Ex, ‘DWTS’ Star Derek Hough—Report Suggests
- ‘Game of Thrones’ Season 5 Casting: Brothel Guard, Military Officer And More
- ‘American Horror Story’ Season 4 ‘Freak Show’ Update: Skyler Samuels Roped In To Play Pivotal Role, Extended Teaser Released [VIDEO]
- ‘Grey’s Anatomy’ Season 11 Premiere (Episode 1) Spoilers: Find Out What Happens In ‘I Must Have Lost It On The Wind'
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet