‘Supernatural’ Replacing Jensen Ackles & Jared Padalecki With Other Actors? Not Really, Says Writer Adam Glass
By Anne Lu | April 11, 2014 11:15 AM EST
“Supernatural” exec producer/writer Adam Glass incurred the wrath of the show’s fans after saying they were planning to replace Jensen Ackles and Jared Padalecki with other actors, a la “Doctor Who” format. Glass was only joking, of course, but some fans didn’t get that.
In an interview with CBR, Glass spoke of an idea that he thought would keep the U.S. show going for a long time.
“Every year, they thought, ‘That was it.’ And by the way, we’re being told that by network – ‘You’re on the bubble’ – and now look, here we are, ten seasons later. I joked, ‘Why not become the Doctor Who of America?’ Let’s turn around, take the boys as long as they can and eventually find two other hunters.
“I don’t know if anybody likes that idea outside of me, but I think it’s the kind of show that speaks to people and can keep going for quite a long time.”
For those living outside the Tardis, “Doctor Who” is a cult British series that has been around since the early ‘60s. The title character remains the main character, but has been played by different actors throughout the years. It is currently on its 12th Doctor, and is being played by Peter Capaldi.
“Supernatural” fans who have supported the show’s stars from the start naturally didn’t like hearing that. The show that is about brothers Sam and Dean Winchester who gank demons and save the world should be played by Padalecki and Ackles until the end.
Glass then received angry messages from fans who found his interview offensive, with some even threatening to stop watching the series if they replaced Padalecki and Ackles.
@AdamGlass44 with respect, I watch Spn for Sam'n'Dean and J&J--not for "two other hunters" or any other leads.
— wendy (@windykl) April 9, 2014
@AdamGlass44 @jonahweiland Side char, directors, producers & writers have come & gone. SPN can continue without anyone EXCEPT Jared & Jensen — Donna (@dmfNY) April 9, 2014
— Andrea DeMill (@AndreaDeMill) April 10, 2014
@AdamGlass44 It must feel pretty bad to be the heart/soul of a show for 9 yrs and then have a producer say it doesnt need you. Poor @jarpad — Andrea (@AndieNic) April 9, 2014
But the thing is that Glass was only joking. He said uttered the word “joked” in the interview, but there are those who didn’t catch up on that. The video interview on CBR’s site clearly shows that Glass was not serious when he made the “Doctor Who” comparison.
People. Watch the interview. I say I keep JOKING that we should become like Dr.Who. Of course there is no show without bros. #Supernatural
— Adam Glass (@AdamGlass44) April 9, 2014
Nevertheless, it appears that Glass has had enough of the hate that he has received so he opted to stay away from Twitter in the meantime.
Guys. I'm done. Can't do this anymore. To much negativity. Everything is taken out of context. Don't need this #Supernatural — Adam Glass (@AdamGlass44) April 9, 2014
#SupernaturaI is the greatest thing to happen to me besides the birth of my kids and meeting my wife. I'm taking a twitter break 4 a while.
— Adam Glass (@AdamGlass44) April 10, 2014
So there you go, guys. “Supernatural” isn’t going to follow “Doctor Who” any time soon, or ever. Padalecki and Ackles will play the demon-fighting duo until CW ganks the show off the air. Their job is safe.
Unfortunately, though, it cannot be said the same thing for Misha Collins, who plays the fallen angel Castiel. Collins said that he isn’t sure yet if the show will approach him to return for the tenth season.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Manny Pacquiao Vs. Chris Algieri World Tour Kick Off Press Conference In Macau [PHOTOS]
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Hilarious Reactions For Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Secret Wedding: George Clooney, Jennifer Aniston, Billy Bob Thornton
- ‘General Hospital’ Spoilers for Sept. 1-5, 2014: Sabrina Seeks Revenge
- ‘Bachelor In Paradise’ Episode 6 Spoilers: Next Week Tests Relationships And Sees A Shocking Exit
- 5 Seconds of Summer Calum Hood's D--K Vine Video Goes Viral
- ‘American Horror Story’ Season 4 ‘Freak Show’ Update: Jessica Lange Says New Season ‘Most Extraordinary’
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Firms Up as iWatch Rollout Delayed to Jan 2015 – Reports
- Apple iWatch is iPhone 6 Accessory on Sept 19 Release Date: 6 Confirmed Specs & Features
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps
- James Foley Torture Involves CIA Waterboarding Technique
- North Korea Banker Who Manages Money of Kim Jong-un Defects to Russia With $5 Million
- Malaysia Airlines to Axe 4,000 Employees, Including CEO; Suspends Trading of Shares