Boxing News 2014: Pre-fight Rants from Bob Arum Due to MGM Grand’s Giving Priority to Mayweather-Maidana Bout Posters Over Pacquiao-Bradley Rematch
By Vittorio Hernandez | April 11, 2014 9:58 AM EST
The MGM Grand in Las Vegas, Nevada, venue of two major boxing bouts in the next few days and weeks, got the ire of Top Rank promoter Bob Arum on Wednesday. The reason for Arum's pre-fight rant is the giving by the venue organisers of higher priority to the promotion of the fight between Floyd Mayweather Jr and Marcos Maidana on May 3 over the Manny Pacquia-Timothy Bradley rematch on Saturday, April 12.
On Wednesday, Arum had lunch at MGM Grand Hotel where the MGM Grand Arena is located and found a 20-storey mural of Money May on the building's side. There were also three-sided hanging signs spread all over the casino, with two sides promoting the May 3 event and one side the Saturday rematch.
Although a top MGM entertainment executive whom Arum met after lunch apologised for the number of Mayweather-Maidana fight posters when the bout is one month away and admitted it was not appropriate, the 82-year-old boxing promoter let steam off further during the press conference for the Pacquiao-Bradley rematch.
He introduced Richard Sturm, president of MGM for entertainment, as "the president of hanging the posters for the wrong fight."
Sturm did not shoot back at Arum but instead spoke about the greatness of the two boxers, although he wisely did not mention the name of Mayweather.
But Arum had the last word by comparing MGM Grand with the Venetian hotel which he said earns $500 million per quarter. Venetian's owner, Sheldon Adelson, is Arum's business partner. By promoting the Venetian's Macao Casino as boxing fight venues, Arum's Top Rank Promotions would also earn.
Arum believes the heavier promotion for the Mayweather-Maidana bout is because of the 12-1 odds in favour of Money May, while the Saturday rematch has only a 2-1 odds in favour of Pacquiao.
"I know that in the Venetian, they wouldn't make a mistake like this. They knew what fight they were scheduled, three or four days, and they wouldn't have a 12-to-1 fight all over the building, that's going to take place three weeks from next Saturday," Bad Left Hook quoted Arum.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Amir Khan Says Algieri Doesn’t Have What It Takes To Beat Pacquiao; Khan Reportedly A Top Contender For Mayweather Jr.’s Next Fight Says Mayweather Sr
- WWE Night of Champions Live Streaming Info, Preview and Predictions
- Boxing News 2014: Nevada Commission Summons Mayweather Over Reports Of Marijuana Use In Mansion & No Rest Breaks In Gym
- NFL Week 3: Washington Redskins Vs. Philadelphia Eagles Live Streaming Information And Preview
- Khloe Kardashian Reportedly Having A Hard Time Deciding Whether Or Not To Patch Things Up With Lamar Odom
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?
- Microsoft Doubles OneDrive Space To 30GB Due To iOS 8 Update Issues
- New Zealand Could Be Next ISIS Target After Australia Beheading Plot, Says Expert