Boxing News 2014: Pre-fight Rants from Bob Arum Due to MGM Grand’s Giving Priority to Mayweather-Maidana Bout Posters Over Pacquiao-Bradley Rematch
By Vittorio Hernandez | April 11, 2014 9:58 AM EST
The MGM Grand in Las Vegas, Nevada, venue of two major boxing bouts in the next few days and weeks, got the ire of Top Rank promoter Bob Arum on Wednesday. The reason for Arum's pre-fight rant is the giving by the venue organisers of higher priority to the promotion of the fight between Floyd Mayweather Jr and Marcos Maidana on May 3 over the Manny Pacquia-Timothy Bradley rematch on Saturday, April 12.
On Wednesday, Arum had lunch at MGM Grand Hotel where the MGM Grand Arena is located and found a 20-storey mural of Money May on the building's side. There were also three-sided hanging signs spread all over the casino, with two sides promoting the May 3 event and one side the Saturday rematch.
Although a top MGM entertainment executive whom Arum met after lunch apologised for the number of Mayweather-Maidana fight posters when the bout is one month away and admitted it was not appropriate, the 82-year-old boxing promoter let steam off further during the press conference for the Pacquiao-Bradley rematch.
He introduced Richard Sturm, president of MGM for entertainment, as "the president of hanging the posters for the wrong fight."
Sturm did not shoot back at Arum but instead spoke about the greatness of the two boxers, although he wisely did not mention the name of Mayweather.
But Arum had the last word by comparing MGM Grand with the Venetian hotel which he said earns $500 million per quarter. Venetian's owner, Sheldon Adelson, is Arum's business partner. By promoting the Venetian's Macao Casino as boxing fight venues, Arum's Top Rank Promotions would also earn.
Arum believes the heavier promotion for the Mayweather-Maidana bout is because of the 12-1 odds in favour of Money May, while the Saturday rematch has only a 2-1 odds in favour of Pacquiao.
"I know that in the Venetian, they wouldn't make a mistake like this. They knew what fight they were scheduled, three or four days, and they wouldn't have a 12-to-1 fight all over the building, that's going to take place three weeks from next Saturday," Bad Left Hook quoted Arum.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap: New York Giants 45, Washington Redskins 14 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Will Probably Pick Between Amir Khan Or Manny Pacquiao For Next Fight According to Uncle Jeff
- Rafael Nadal Back In Action To Target Novak Djokovic At China Open
- Bruce Jenner Says Lamar Odom Should Follow His Heart If He Wants To Get Back Together With Khloe Kardashian
- Maria Sharapova On Relationship With Grigor Dimitrov: ‘Everything Is Great’; Dimitrov Was Present At Sharapova’s First Round Match In China
- Tony Stewart Reveals Retirement Not In Options, Reflects On His Life After the Fatal Crash
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate