Boxing News 2014: Pre-fight Rants from Bob Arum Due to MGM Grand’s Giving Priority to Mayweather-Maidana Bout Posters Over Pacquiao-Bradley Rematch
By Vittorio Hernandez | April 11, 2014 9:58 AM EST
The MGM Grand in Las Vegas, Nevada, venue of two major boxing bouts in the next few days and weeks, got the ire of Top Rank promoter Bob Arum on Wednesday. The reason for Arum's pre-fight rant is the giving by the venue organisers of higher priority to the promotion of the fight between Floyd Mayweather Jr and Marcos Maidana on May 3 over the Manny Pacquia-Timothy Bradley rematch on Saturday, April 12.
On Wednesday, Arum had lunch at MGM Grand Hotel where the MGM Grand Arena is located and found a 20-storey mural of Money May on the building's side. There were also three-sided hanging signs spread all over the casino, with two sides promoting the May 3 event and one side the Saturday rematch.
Although a top MGM entertainment executive whom Arum met after lunch apologised for the number of Mayweather-Maidana fight posters when the bout is one month away and admitted it was not appropriate, the 82-year-old boxing promoter let steam off further during the press conference for the Pacquiao-Bradley rematch.
He introduced Richard Sturm, president of MGM for entertainment, as "the president of hanging the posters for the wrong fight."
Sturm did not shoot back at Arum but instead spoke about the greatness of the two boxers, although he wisely did not mention the name of Mayweather.
But Arum had the last word by comparing MGM Grand with the Venetian hotel which he said earns $500 million per quarter. Venetian's owner, Sheldon Adelson, is Arum's business partner. By promoting the Venetian's Macao Casino as boxing fight venues, Arum's Top Rank Promotions would also earn.
Arum believes the heavier promotion for the Mayweather-Maidana bout is because of the 12-1 odds in favour of Money May, while the Saturday rematch has only a 2-1 odds in favour of Pacquiao.
"I know that in the Venetian, they wouldn't make a mistake like this. They knew what fight they were scheduled, three or four days, and they wouldn't have a 12-to-1 fight all over the building, that's going to take place three weeks from next Saturday," Bad Left Hook quoted Arum.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin Should Be Ready to Start for Los Angeles Lakers as Steve Nash Confirms Retirement
- Manchester United Transfer News: Arturo Vidal Leaving Juventus for the Red Devils Gaining Momentum
- Roger Federer Forced to Take Down Children's Play Area on his Property in Valbella
- WWE SummerSlam: Orton Vs Reigns Match Unexciting, Reigns 'Awful Wrestler No Charisma'
- 5 Sports Stars Who are Also Into Other Sports
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date