2014 International Space Apps Challenge: NASA's Third Annual Event Scheduled to Take Place on April 12 and April 13 in New York City
By Jenalyn Villamarin | April 11, 2014 9:25 AM EST
The National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) will have their third annual International Space Apps Challenge on April 12-13, 2014 in New York City. The main event will be bringing together all of the tech-savvy citizens, scientists, entrepreneurs, educators and students to aid in solving the challenges related to space exploration as well as social needs.
There will be a total of 40 different challenges organized in over 100 locations during the 48-hour period of the 2014 International Space Apps Challenge materializing from the five different themes of Earth Watch, Human Space flight, Asteroids, Technology in Space and Robotics. "Future human and robotic missions to the solar system will require rich, networked communications capacity," Vint Cerf, the internet pioneer and visiting scientist at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, California stated regarding the "Bring the Internet to Deep Space Exploration" challenge.
Vint Cerf further stated in the ITBusinessnet.com report that the challenge serves as an opportunity in exploring the ways to sustain the projected planetary and interplanetary communication needs now and in the future. According to the Austrian Tribune report, the participants will be the ones selecting the mode they will use in expressing the theme that could be educational space apps or design for space travel equipment.
However, the participants are required to use only the openly available data that the NASA missions and technology provide. For the year 2014, the challenges will consist of developing a game that allows travel across the solar system moving from asteroid to asteroid, concept designing for "deployable greenhouse" to be used on a mission to Mars and space app designing to give a picture to the positions of the missions that are active in space.
The event has witnessed a steady growth with over 20 Space Apps locations in 2012 and approximately 80 locations in 2013. For 2014, there are approximately 100 sites participating in the event worldwide.
"This is a truly historic event: thousands of people all across the world, under the guidance of one of the most technologically elite organizations on the planet, working together to improve life," Mike Caprio, community organizer for StartupBus and co-organizer of Space Apps NYC, declared. Even though there will be prizes to be given at the event over the weekend, NASA will be focusing on the teamwork rather than the individual winnings.
More Articles to Read:
2014 Lyrids Meteor Shower: Sky Display Set to Peak on April 22 - [READ]
Magic Tricks for Cats Video: Cats Give Different Reaction to Tricks of Magician Rick Lax [WATCH] - [READ]
2014 Lunar Eclipse: 'Full Pink Moon' To Appear on April 15, What Time to Best View - [READ]
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
- Celebrities Who Got Pregnant Using IVF: Busting the Myths About IVF
Join the Conversation
- 15 Orgasms/Week, $27K/Yr Salary Not Bad for Professional Toy Tester Cara Houiellebecq (VIDEO)
- Thai’s Crackdown on Commercial Surrogacy Exposes Aussie Couple’s Appalling Deed
- 2014 Perseid Meteor Shower vs. Supermoon: Best to View Meteor Shower Display before August 12 to 13 Peak
- Australian Wanted Man Threatens Terror in Australia, Demands Release of Muslim Prisoners
- Viral Video Cyring Sadie: 5-Year-Old Little Girl Does Not Want Her Baby Brother to Grow Up [WATCH VIDEO]
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 6 Most Wanted Feature Upgrades for Next iPhone
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- HTC One M8 Windows Phone to Launch for Verizon; Release Date, Price, Five Fresh Features to Anticipate for New Smartphone
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff
- 2014 Ebola Outbreak: ‘Out of control… and Can Get Worse'; Asky Airline Stops Flying to Liberia, Sierra Leone; Liberia Closes Schools
- Galaxy Note 4 Release Date Ahead of iPhone 6 Sept 2014 Debut; Specced-Up but Remains Plastic-Wrapped – Reports