‘Rio 2' to Soar High in the Box Office, Flockers Beats ‘Captain America?’
By Riza Ornos | April 11, 2014 9:07 AM EST
Back on its second installment, "Rio 2" is soaring high in the box office and is now a grave threat to Marvel's "Captain America: The Winter Soldier." Featuring the singing macaws of North America, the 3-D computer-animated comedy family film scored a whopping $40 million on its debut and could send the red-white-and-blue clad hero into retirement if the movie's success will continue over the weekend.
Its present number will match the original film which opened to $39 million and earned $144 million domestically, with an additional $341 million from overseas sales. With the cost $103 million, "Rio 2" will debut on Friday together with Kevin Costner's football movie "Draft Day" and micro-budget horror movie "Oculus."
The animated musical film has already taken in $55 million overseas with a $21 million earnings in Russia and another $15 million sales from its home country Brazil. Based on social media indicators, the film is trending up and advance sales are going strong since its international release on March 20. "Rio 2"will be released in American theatres on Friday, April 11.
"Rio" director Carlos Saldanha returns to the big screen as he brings the film's original voice-over actors for another tropical adventure. Produced by Blue Sky Studios, the sequel to the 2011 smash hit features Anne Hathaway as she reprise her role Jewel, Jesse Eisenberg as Blu, Leslie Mann as Linda Gunderson, Bruno Mars as Roberto, Jemaine Clement as Nigel, Jamie Foxx as Nico and will.i.am as Pedro.
The film also features the alarming fact about Spix's Macaw as the story line highlights their endangered status. Due to "destruction of the specific gallery woodland habitat on which the species apparently depended" and "the illegal live bird trade," Spix is now on grave danger for extinction according to Birdlife.org.
The plot of the movie reads: "Blu, Jewel and their three kids leave their domesticated life in the city of Rio de Janeiro for a journey to the Amazon rainforest, where their owners Linda and Tulio were doing an expedition that seemingly found a hidden tribe of Spix's Macaws. On their way there, they are witnessed in Manaus by Blu and Jewel's old nemesis Nigel the cockatoo, who then decides to seek revenge on the macaws, enlisting poison dart frog Gabi and tamandua Charlie as his minions. Upon arriving the Amazon, the family comes across Jewel's long-lost father, Eduardo, who is in hiding with his macaw tribe. As Blu has trouble fitting in, Nigel infiltrates the tribe, and illegal loggers kidnap Linda and Tulio on their way to reach the macaws' hideout."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Star Wars Episode VII: Jedi Master's Search, Luke's Lightsaber From the Sky
- Avengers 2: Ultron's First Attack On The Avengers, More Details on the Avengers Tower Party
- Avengers 2: Capt.America Dances With Peggy Carter, First Love Returns
- Kim Kardashian and Kanye West Break-Up Furor Ceased: West Gets Turned on by Kim, Puts Rest to Marriage Trouble Reports
- Selena Gomez & Andre Hamann Update: Andre Calls Selena Stunning, Admits Crush on Singer
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- Apple Logo on iPhone 6 Might Double as Notification LED; Roughly 80M iPhone 6 Units Ordered Targeting Release Date—Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air