ASB Surprises Aussies with 5.8% Unemployment Rate, Not 6.1% as Expected; Australian Dollar Reaches 4-Month High
By Vittorio Hernandez | April 11, 2014 8:29 AM EST
Instead of an 11-year record high unemployment rate of 6.1 per cent that economists forecast on Wednesday, the Australian Bureau of Statistics surprised Aussies with a different figure. The number of jobless Aussies actually went down, rather than up, as 18,100 new jobs were created in March.
A third of New Zealanders are unemployed afraid of losing their jobs or are have temporary work, according to a study conducted by the Council of Trade of Unions. The results of the study were released in a biennial conference in Wellington.
That translated instead into a 4-month high as the joblessness rate went down to 5.8 per cent, indicating a stronger economy under the Abbott-led government.
The data, said RBC Capital Markets senior economist Su-Lin Ong, is an indicator that the labour market will improve in 2014 compared with the fairly subdued market in 2013.
CommSec Chief Economist James Craig noted creation of jobs has been the strongest in 24 months, saying, "There is no question that the economy has lifted and it is showing signs of stabilizing with unemployment having peaked or pretty close to it."
He said the numbers would mean that there would no longer be any forthcoming overnight cash rate increase. Mr Craig instead hinted that the numbers point to higher chances of a key lending rate increase by the Reserve Bank of Australia.
The unexpected reversal of unemployment expectations led to the Australian dollar reaching a four-month high level of 94.43 U.S. cents, a 0.6 per cent increase.
Unemployment Rate of 61 Could Trigger Interest Rate Cuts by RBA.docx" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">Australia Braces for 11-Year High Unemployment Rate of 6.1%; Could Trigger Interest Rate Cuts by RBA
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Economic Growth In US And Sub-Saharan Africa Allay 2015 Recession Fears
- Travel Alert: Over 200 Canadians Infected with Mosquito-Borne Chikungunya Virus
- Canadian Ebola Drug: Tekmira Firm Starts Limited Manufacturing of Vaccine, Available By December; Shares Up
- US Dedicates 5 Airports for Travellers From Ebola-Stricken Nations, Lawmakers Want Travel Ban
- Australia's Low Birth Rate May Be Due to Low Confidence in Economy
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories