2014 Tennis News: Juan Del Potro on the Road to Recovery but No Return Date Yet
By James Patrick Quizon | April 10, 2014 11:32 PM EST
Juan Martin Del Potro had some good news for his fans after initial reports that he’s going to miss the entire ATP season.
”Hello everybody! Here is a picture of my first visit after my operation at the Mayo clinic. Doctor Berger is happy with the progress I made, thus he decided to cut the cast shorter. Thanks to everybody for the kind messages,” posted the Argentine power-hitter in his Facebook account along with a picture that showed the left wrist in a cast.
The 2009 US Open champion went under the knife in late March and the operation is similar to the one he underwent in 2010 when his right wrist needed surgery that caused him to miss the next eight months.
The left wrist started acting up in August of 2012 in the U.S. Open. By January 2014 in the Australian Open, the pain got worse as Del Potro got the boot in the second round against unheralded Roberto Bautista-Agut.
The 25-year-old still played in a couple of tournaments after the Aussie Grand Slam. He made the quarterfinals in the ABN AMRO World Tennis Tournament in February and lost in the first round in the Dubai Duty Free Tennis Championships the same month.
Despite the inactivity the past few months, the Del Potro is still ranked No. 7 in the current ATP rankings.
While the update was positive, Del Potro did not mention a date of return.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao vs. Chris Algieri Betting Odds: American Knockout Of Filipino Pays $10,000 From A $100 Bet
- Dionesian ‘Hex’: Pacquiao’s Secret Weapon Behind His 8 Titles
- Arum Says Pacquiao's Victory vs Algieri May Cause Mayweather To Say ‘No’ To Dream Match
- Brooklyn Nets Agree to Grant Andrei Kirilenko Indefinite Leave of Absence
- Freddie Roach Asks Manny Pacquiao Not To Beat Up Algieri Too Badly So Mayweather Will Not Be Scared And Agree To Super Fight
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- More Nexus 6 Problems Arise with Android 5.0 Lollipop, Poor Benchmark Results and Other Issues
- HTC One M8 Android 5.0 Lollipop Release Delayed: Other Schedule and Installation Guide