School Stabbing: Pennsylvania Teen Who Pulled Fire Alarm to Save Fellow Students Hailed as Hero; Hospital Selfie Goes Viral
By Gopi Chandra Kharel | April 10, 2014 9:44 PM EST
A Pennsylvania teenager is being hailed as a hero, after he pulled the fire alarm in school to alert other students about a knife-wielding 16-year-old going on a stabbing rampage. Nate Scimio, who was injured in the attack, is now rapidly rising to fame through a proud selfie he took at the hospital, showing his wounded hand
Nate Scimio's hospital selfie (Nate Scimio, Twitter)
Scimio was among the 20 people -19 students and a school security guard - who were injured in the attack that began around 7:13am Wednesday at the Murrsville school. Murrysville police chief Thomas Seefeld later said that Scimio's bold move to pull the fire alarm prevented more stabbings.
The brave teen was becoming popular online with several Twitter users hailing him as a hero, and his fame skyrocketed hours later, when he posted a picture of himself in a hospital gown, with a lopsided grin on his face and pointing at his bandaged right arm.
— Kimberly and Beck (@KimberlyandBeck) April 10, 2014
Scimio is understood to have not only alerted the other students about the situation but is also believed to have been injured when he stepped in front of other students, in order to save them from the attack. From the photo that he posted, it appears that he suffered cuts on his right arm, though he did not seem to be in a serious condition.
According to CNN, four people among the 20 injured are in critical condition, including one who was 'eviscerated' and may not survive. The attacker, who is now recognized as Alex Hribal, faces four counts of attempted homicide and 21 counts of aggravated assault.
Reports also suggest that an assistant principal of the school tackled the attacker to bring him under control. However, Scimio, who saved several lives by pulling the alarm, remains the focus of most of the news stories in the United States.
(Edited by Vishnuprasad S Pillai)
Here are some of the reactions from the fans of the new teen hero:
nate scimio is such a hero, he jump in front of a classmate, he got stabbed himself and still managed to pull the fire alarm he saved lives — Jessica Majoy (@JMajoy1) April 9, 2014
— Calú (@Fuferson) April 10, 2014
#FranklinRegional school stabbing victim Nate Scimio pulled a fire alarm to alert students. #selfie to say his "ok" pic.twitter.com/yzHWymn7v8 — Luz Peña (@Luzpenatv) April 10, 2014
Nate Scimio pulled a fire alarm to evacuate the school; he also placed himself between the knife and two girls. Selfie or not, that's a man
— Bill Scott (@bill_scott4) April 9, 2014
Thank God for Nate Scimio, what a hero. #PrayForFR — Anna Stephens (@Annappropriate3) April 9, 2014
I don't know Nate Scimio, but mad respect for him. That's a hero
— mare (@maryellicker) April 9, 2014
Tip your hat to Nate Scimio. Passed the manhood test today. — Julian Beckwith (@JBeckwith2) April 9, 2014
Nate Scimio is the definition of a modern day hero. #PrayersForFR
— Morgan LeVeille (@levmor5) April 9, 2014
nate scimio has all my respect — Julia Yurinko (@JuliaYurinko) April 9, 2014
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Video Showing Mentally Disabled African American Shot 46 Times By Eight Police Officers For Just Holding A Penknife
- Brisbane Woman Performs Sex With Dog, Gets Charged With Bestiality
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Update: Duchess Forced To Return To Royal Engagements, Feuding With The Queen Over Royal Duties---Report
- Google Loses Lawsuit Against Canadian Woman Over Breast Exposure
- Robbery Attempt in Sydney Bank, Armed Robbers on The Loose
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- 8 Important Things to Consider Before Buying or Upgrading to iPad Air 2