Total Lunar Eclipse Could Doom NASA's Moon Orbiter
By Parismita Goswami | April 10, 2014 8:32 PM EST
Though the coming lunar eclipse will have millions of thrilled eyes gazing at the sky, it poses a challenge for the NASA's moon orbiter.
Total Lunar Eclipse Could Doom NASA Moon Orbiter (NASA)
The batteries that charge NASA's Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter (LRO) require sunlight to recharge. Due to the total lunar eclipse that will visibly occur over the Western Hemisphere on 14 and 15 April, the spacecraft will have to travel in darkness.
"The spacecraft will be going straight from the moon's shadow to the Earth's shadow while it orbits during the eclipse. We're taking precautions to make sure everything is fine. We're turning off the instruments and will monitor the spacecraft every few hours when it's visible from Earth." Noah Petro, LRO deputy project scientist at NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Md., said in a statement, according to space.com.
"For quite a while, people in LRO have been analyzing what's going to happen during this eclipse. We'll make sure the world knows LRO survived with no problems." he added.
The eclipse has forced the LRO team to carefully shrive at their mission. Eclipses however, sometimes allow scientific opportunity for the LRO mission, like, the orbiter can measure how the lunar cools down during such events, giving clues about the composition of the lunar surface, according to researchers.
The upcoming eclipse will begin at 12:53 a.m. EDT (4:53 a.m. GMT or 10:23 a.m. IST) on April 15. The dramatic phase will end at 4:24 a.m. EDT (08:24 a.m. GMT or 01:55 p.m IST), and the eclipse will get over by 5:33 a.m. EDT (09:33 GMT or 03:00 p.m. IST).
The next week's eclipse will be the first among the four total lunar eclipses that will glow in the Earth's skies. Other eclipses will occur on 8 October 2014, 4 April and 28 September 2015.
The Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter, a $504 million mission was launched in June 2009 in order to record all details of the moon. The orbiter is of the size of a small car and has seven varied science instruments.
(Edited by Vanilla Sharma)
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- BlackBerry Classic (aka Q20) Keyboard Shortcuts Explained In A Quick Video
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia
- Amazon Black Friday 2014 Deals Start On Nov. 21, 2014 Including Limited-Time Lightning Deals And Deals Of The Day On Clothes, Toys, Jewelry, Watches, Bags, Accessories And Electronics
- Travel Alert: New Delta Air Lines Airbuses Could Be Seen In Australia Soon
- Walmart Canada Feeling The Heat As Grocery War Intensifies