Lok Sabha Elections 2014: Will Modi Reunite with Wife Jashodaben?
By Rama Mohan | April 10, 2014 8:28 PM EST
"I don't think he will ever call me," was the answer from Narendra Modi's wife Jashodaben, in a recent interview reported in the media. But Jashodaben, who has been away from her husband for about 45 years, must have felt happy when Modi, on 9 April in his election affidavit, admitted to the world, for the first time, that she is his wife.
Modi, 63, on Wednesday filed his second nomination from Vadodara to contest the 16th Lok Sabha election. The prime ministerial nominee of Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) has been tipped by opinion polls and the media to become the next PM of India.
Modi, who contested the elections in 2001, 2002, 2007 and 2012, had given no clue about his wife till now as he left the spouse's column blank in the poll nomination papers.
But now Modi has revealed his wife's name and profession. Jashodaben, now 62, is a retired school teacher and lives a secluded life in Brahmanwada near Modi's home town Vadnagar in Gujarat. Modi has not revealed any other details like his wife's income or properties in the affidavit. As per the Representation of the People Act 1951, candidates should reveal property details of his/her spouses also.
As per media reports, Modi married Jashodaben when she was 17 years old. However, Modi, in pursuance to achieve his goals, left Jashodaben, advising her to continue studies further.
Modi's elder brother Sombhai Damodar Modi had recently stated that the BJP PM candidate was married off as a child but walked away from the married life. Modi sees the entire India as his family and responsibility, said Damodar.
The Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS), a nationalist group behind BJP, from where Modi graduated into politics, urges its pracharaks or volunteers to practice celibacy. This might be one of the main reasons for Modi leading a lonely life.
But now, after the big confession, it remains to be seen whether Modi and Jashodaben would reunite or not.
India's former PM Atal Bihari Vajpayee is the senior most bachelor politician India has seen as a clean politician and statesman. Congress party's Rahul Gandhi, Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa and West Bengal Chief Minister Mamatha Banerjee are also without spouses. While Vajpayee earned the admiration of the country for his service, there have been allegations of corruption against Jayalalithaa.
(Edited by Vishnuprasad S Pillai)
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- Twitter Photo Of British Medical Muslima Student Holding Severed Head
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Amner Hall Residence
- Australia's Imam Council Rebuffs Abbott Decision To Send Troops; Wants 'Islamic' Dropped From ISIS
- Spying Claims Muddle New Zealand Election as Dotcom Calls Key Gov't An 'American Slave'
- Germany to Send Soldiers to Iraq, Bans Displays of Support for ISIS
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8: Performance, CPU and Health
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date