WhatsApp to Add 'Voice Calling' Feature to Android And iOS Shortly
By Pavithra Rathinavel | April 10, 2014 7:15 PM EST
Early reports cited WhatsApp, the ubiquitous mobile messaging service, purchased by Facebook for a whopping $19 billion, is currently developing features to add 'voice calling' to their smartphone application.
If the leaked insider information were to be believed, WP Central got a tip from an insider whose job is to translate messaging app content into several languages. For this particular case, the language is 'Hindi' and the new translation requests have been made for the following word set "Hang Up," "Incoming Calls" and "Outgoing Calls."
This translation service request is an indication that the voice calling feature could be a possibility very soon.
According to Design Trend, "Should voice calling be close to its unveiling, it would fall in line with the Q2 release previously mentioned by the app's CEO and founder Jan Koum, who added that they think they have the best voice product out there. We use the least amount of bandwidth and optimize the hell out of it."
Click here to check out the images from iPhone ITalia. According to the site, they were able to test the beta version of the app. Also here is the link to check out the translation request screenshot from WPCentral.
Based on this report, the voice calls can be made via both Wi-Fi and 3G connections. The images contain buttons to mute, message, speakers and to end the call.
Also, there is a camera button which should allow users to capture an image or video while messaging. The Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) calling can be engaged straight from the chat window.
The leaked report also confirmed WhatsApp will request users' permission to use the microphone to make calls.
With stiff completion from Skype, one of the popular and widely used messaging and voice calling services, it is only natural that Facebook would want to make their messaging apps have the capability to make voice calls. Also, Facebook added voice calling facility to its 'Facebook Messenger app' on Android recently, and WhatsApp is following suit to keep up with the trend.
The only feature missing from this popular messaging service is the voice calling facility and very soon users will be able to make voice calls in WhatsApp.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- '$2,000 For Sex'—Pleads Unlucky-in-Love Guy On OKCupid
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments