North Korea Capable of Destroying United States with Nuclear Electromagnetic Pulse Attack: Report
By Gopi Chandra Kharel | April 10, 2014 6:58 PM EST
A classified report from the US Department of Homeland Security for the Defense Department, which suggests that North Korea has the capacity to launch a Nuclear Electromagnetic Pulse Attack to destroy the whole of Unites States, has been leaked.
According to a classified report leaked recently, North Korea can destroy United States with Nuclear Electromagnetic Pulse Attack. (Photo: Reuters)
The report remains blocked from release to the American public, but a copy was obtained by Peter Vincent Pry, the executive director of the congressional advisory Task Force on National and Homeland Security, who revealed the details of the report to WND Politics news website.
The classified report finds that North Korea could use its Unha-3 space launch vehicle to deliver a nuclear warhead as a satellite over the South Pole, to attack the US from the southern direction.
Pry revealed the facts adding that the US has reasons to be cautious, as it has "no early warning radars or interceptors" to stop a missile from the south.
DHS is said to have conducted the study after the spring 2013 nuclear crisis with North Korea, in which the latter repeatedly threatened a "preemptive" nuclear strike on the US. The reclusive and controversial communist nation had gone to the extent of warning that it would reduce Washington and Seoul into a "Sea of fire".
The report from the DHS reveals that the Kim Jong-un regime had successfully practiced the EMP attack scenario three months before the crisis that saw a rise of an unprecedented level of tension in the Korean Peninsula, mostly marked by North Korea's ceaseless saber rattling and consistent war of words.
The revelations come after months of claim made by the Obama administration that North Korea did not yet have the capacity to attack the United States or its allies with a missile tipped with a nuclear warhead.
The DHS study now says, that in a scenario that North Korea indeed makes an attempt to deploy the Unha-3 space launch vehicle or the Taepodong-2 intercontinental ballistic missile, the Defense Department should be able to destroy the missile on its source before it is launched.
What is EMP?
An Electro-magnetic Pulse attack is a blast of electromagnetic energy that can disrupt - if not destroy -electronic devices within an affected area. The attack using such technologies could destroy America's defenses, leaving the US in a world of depraved technology similar to the world in 1800s, Fox News notes.
An EMP weapon has the ability to wipe out electronic devices including communications, navigation and sensor systems thereby crippling the country's ability to defend itself from a land invasion that would follow.
(Edited by Vanilla Sharma)
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
- Celebrities Who Got Pregnant Using IVF: Busting the Myths About IVF
Join the Conversation
- MH17: Separatist Soldier Holds Aussie Reporter at Gun Point
- Australia Asked National Media to Suppress Multi-National Corruption Case: WikiLeaks
- UK Asks NATO to Stand Up to Russia
- U.S. ‘Defends’ Israel for ‘Disgraceful’ Attack on UN School in Gaza that Killed 15
- MH17 Memorial: Australia Prepares for August 7 National Day of Mourning
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 6 Most Wanted Feature Upgrades for Next iPhone
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- HTC One M8 Windows Phone to Launch for Verizon; Release Date, Price, Five Fresh Features to Anticipate for New Smartphone
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff