Astronomers Spot ‘Celestial Diamond Ring’ Nebula
By Parismita Goswami | April 10, 2014 5:36 PM EST
Astronomers captured a rare image of a nebula on Wednesday 09 April 2014 that appears like an engagement ring. The image was captured using ESO's Very Large Telescope (VLT) that has an image of a star and nebula called A66 33 in the background, thus forming an illusion of a 'diamond ring'. The nebula A66 33 is located roughly 2500 light-years from Earth.
European Southern Observatory
Astronomers Spot ‘Celestial Diamond Ring’ Nebula (European Southern Observatory)
"This cosmic gem is unusually symmetric, appearing to be almost circular on the sky," according to European Southern Observatory (ESO), which revealed the image.
A perfectly round planetary nebula is rare as something disturbs the symmetry and it appears in irregular shapes. The image was taken as part of ESO's Cosmic Gems program, which captures visually appealing celestial objects for public awareness and educational purposes.
A planetary nebula is formed when a massive star is at its end stage and dies as white dwarf, after which it ejects most of its atmosphere into the space, explained ESO. The colorful glowing gas forms a symmetrical pattern like that of a circle. Abell 33 was one among the 86 planetary nebulae that was discovered in 1966 by George Abell.
"The strikingly bright star located along the rim of the nebula creates a beautiful illusion in its VLT image. This is just a chance alignment - the star, named HD 83535, lies in the foreground of the nebula, between Earth and Abell 33, in just the right place to make this view even more beautiful" said ESA.
The remnants of Abell 33's progenitor star are on its way to become a white dwarf.
(Edited by Vanilla Sharma)
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
Join the Conversation
- Ice Bucket Challenge Toddler Scarlett-Rose Davis Who Uses F-Word Apologises - Watch Original Video
- Papua New Guinea’s Mount Tavurvur Erupts, Qantas Reroutes Flights
- Tiny Beads Found In Shampoo And Exfoliants Are A Threat to the Sydney Harbour
- Underground Eruption of A Volcano Noticed As Powerful Earthquakes Rock Iceland
- New Nail Polish Changes Colour When Exposed to Date-Rape Drugs: Helps Women Safety
- Apple iWatch is iPhone 6 Accessory on Sept 19 Release Date: 6 Confirmed Specs & Features
- iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 4.7-Inch Model Scores 65.8% In Screen-To-Size Ratio; A Surprise Entry Scales Top Spot [List Attached]
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps
- Product Recall Alert: Hewlett-Packard Pulls Out 6M Power Cords from US, Canada Over Fire Hazard Concerns, Australia Also Affected
- ISIS Wants $6.6M and Release of Aafia Siddiqui in Exchange of Head of Female US Humanitarian Aid Worker, 1st American Fighting for Jihadis Dead
- Ukraine Ceasefire Looks Remote As Putin Talks Tough At Meeting With Poroshenko
- Windows 9 To Include Interactive Live Tiles and Notification Center in Metro 2.0