'Grey's Anatomy' Star Katherine Heigl Gets Grumpy; Files $6M Lawsuit Against Duane Reade for Using Her Photo Online
By Alyssa Ashley Lucas | April 10, 2014 5:27 PM EST
Katherine Heigl gets grumpy, files $6 million lawsuit and lands on Page Six. The "Grey's Anatomy" star has even gotten the chance to "boast," according to reports.
Actress Katherine Heigl poses at the premiere of "New Year's Eve" in Hollywood, California in this December 5, 2011 file photo. Actress Katherine Heigl has filed a $6 million civil lawsuit against New York pharmacy Duane Reade for using her name and an unauthorized paparazzi photograph of her in its commercial advertising.
The 36-year-old actress reportedly slapped New York pharmacy Duane Reade with a $6 million dollar lawsuit after the said drugstore used a photo of Katherine Heigl coming out of the store without permission from the actress.
The lawsuit claimed that Duane Reade shared the image on Twitter with a caption that says, "Love a quick #DuaneReade run? Even @KatieHeigl can't resist shopping #NYC's favorite drugstore."
The online photo, which was also claimed to have been posted on Facebook, apparently, was "shamelessly used" that it sparked some grumpy nerves from the actress leading to the lawsuit filed on Wednesday, April 9, 2014 in New York federal court.
According to reports, the lawsuit is claiming that a paparazzo took a picture of the "Grey's Anatomy" star as she was coming out of the New York pharmacy Duane Reade in March, during which time the actress was reportedly in New York filming a new television series.
Heigl was captured carrying a Duane Reade shopping bag that was later on posted online by the pharmacy as a form of commercial advertisement.
"We expect Duane Reade to pay for its willful misuse of Katherine Heigl's name and likeness," Heigl's lawyer Peter Haviland told Reuters, whom later added that the money obtained from the court proceedings will go to a charity Heigl has been supporting for years.
The charity declared is Jason Debus Heigl Foundation that Heigl and her mother is said to have established in 2008 in honour of the actress' brother who died in a 1986 car accident. The charity is said to be centering on animal welfare.
Duane Reade is reportedly expressing silence about the said 15-page lawsuit, also containing, according to TMZ, a résumé as Katherine Heigl boasted about her career accomplishments.
"Plaintiff is a highly successful television and motion picture actress, producer and celebrity," the lawsuit, which also contains more of the actress' credits in the entertainment industry, stated.
The report says that Heigl claims the drug store is using her image, particularly to advertise a "hemorrhoid cream" and other drugstore products.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Photos from the Crash Site of Malaysia Airlines MH17 In Ukraine
- Selena Gomez Turns 22 Today, Celebrates Early without Justin Bieber: Top 12 Interesting Facts About the Singer [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June