'Grey's Anatomy' Star Katherine Heigl Gets Grumpy; Files $6M Lawsuit Against Duane Reade for Using Her Photo Online
By Alyssa Ashley Lucas | April 10, 2014 5:27 PM EST
Katherine Heigl gets grumpy, files $6 million lawsuit and lands on Page Six. The "Grey's Anatomy" star has even gotten the chance to "boast," according to reports.
Actress Katherine Heigl poses at the premiere of "New Year's Eve" in Hollywood, California in this December 5, 2011 file photo. Actress Katherine Heigl has filed a $6 million civil lawsuit against New York pharmacy Duane Reade for using her name and an unauthorized paparazzi photograph of her in its commercial advertising.
The 36-year-old actress reportedly slapped New York pharmacy Duane Reade with a $6 million dollar lawsuit after the said drugstore used a photo of Katherine Heigl coming out of the store without permission from the actress.
The lawsuit claimed that Duane Reade shared the image on Twitter with a caption that says, "Love a quick #DuaneReade run? Even @KatieHeigl can't resist shopping #NYC's favorite drugstore."
The online photo, which was also claimed to have been posted on Facebook, apparently, was "shamelessly used" that it sparked some grumpy nerves from the actress leading to the lawsuit filed on Wednesday, April 9, 2014 in New York federal court.
According to reports, the lawsuit is claiming that a paparazzo took a picture of the "Grey's Anatomy" star as she was coming out of the New York pharmacy Duane Reade in March, during which time the actress was reportedly in New York filming a new television series.
Heigl was captured carrying a Duane Reade shopping bag that was later on posted online by the pharmacy as a form of commercial advertisement.
"We expect Duane Reade to pay for its willful misuse of Katherine Heigl's name and likeness," Heigl's lawyer Peter Haviland told Reuters, whom later added that the money obtained from the court proceedings will go to a charity Heigl has been supporting for years.
The charity declared is Jason Debus Heigl Foundation that Heigl and her mother is said to have established in 2008 in honour of the actress' brother who died in a 1986 car accident. The charity is said to be centering on animal welfare.
Duane Reade is reportedly expressing silence about the said 15-page lawsuit, also containing, according to TMZ, a résumé as Katherine Heigl boasted about her career accomplishments.
"Plaintiff is a highly successful television and motion picture actress, producer and celebrity," the lawsuit, which also contains more of the actress' credits in the entertainment industry, stated.
The report says that Heigl claims the drug store is using her image, particularly to advertise a "hemorrhoid cream" and other drugstore products.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Indonesia Uses Russian-Built Fighter Jets In Chasing For Australian Plane
- Move Over, Jeremy Meeks; Brazil Has A Handsome Crook With 39 Murders On Record
- Islamic State: Aussie Terrorism Suspect Was In Same Video When Runaway Teenager Threatened PM Abbott
- Islamic State: From Beheading Men, IS Moves To Stoning Adulteress To Death
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop