‘Master of Sex’ Lizzy Caplan on Playing Virginia Johnson & Her Family’s Awkward Reactions
By Riza Ornos | April 10, 2014 5:23 PM EST
Known as one of TV's authentic show that ever depict sex, "Master of Sex" features sex researchers Bill Masters and Virginia Johnson in the time sex is a taboo. Now on its second season, Lizzy Caplan who plays Masters research partner Virginia Johnson speaks up about her most intriguing role yet and how her family reacts on her sex scenes.
Playing opposite "Twilight" star Michael Sheen as William Masters, Lizzy revealed her personal connection with the character and after playing Virgina Johnson for whole season she is now her personal hero. "She was 88. She's such a personal hero of mine now, obviously. I would've loved to have met her," says Caplan in an interview with Huffington Post.
"She's a very flawed character. She makes decisions over the course of the first season, and hopefully the seasons to come, that are going to piss a lot of people off, and piss a lot of women off," Caplan revealed when asked what she like most about her character. "And people are going to have very, very mixed feelings about her. I love that that exists. I'm looking forward to really upsetting people, or getting people to talk about why this is upsetting, why they're more capable of accepting certain behaviors from a man and not a woman."
Caplan was leaning towards comedic roles before she cast to star on Showtime's "Master of Sex." She was even sceptical about landing the part when she auditioned for Virginia Johnson's role. But after a three-hour audition the actress got the most-coveted role and will soon premiere its second season.
When asked about her family's reaction of her countless sex scenes Caplan says that it's her cross to bear. She admitted that it's insanely embarrassing when she learns that someone from her family has watched the show.
She even revealed that her Israeli uncle watches the show with a pillow over his face every time the scenes in question will come on screen. But her uncle respective her as an artist and respects the career that she's taking. "I respect you as an artist," says her uncle whenever he sees her.
"Masters of Sex" season 2 is scheduled to kick off in July.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ed Sheeran Disappoints Taylor Swift and Other A-List Celebrities, Scolded for Spilling Secrets - Reports
- Beyonce and Jay Z: HOV May Have a Sextape with Carmen Bryan, Report Suggests; Queen Bey ‘Beyond Furious’
- The Bachelorette Season 10 (2014) Finale, ATFR Spoilers: Find Out: Will Andi Dorfman Accept the Proposal and is She Still With the Winner
- Jim Parsons Quits The Big Bang Theory News Turns Out Hoax, but Actor ‘Not’ Sure about his Return in Season 8
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Reports: The Truth Behind the Duchess Miscarriage
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal
- Shocking Video of Pedigree Dog Culling in Bali Emerges [Video]