FIFA World Cup 2014: A Guide to Brasilia
By Dhrubajyoti Biswas | April 10, 2014 5:16 PM EST
Brasilia is the federal capital of Brazil and is considered the seventh most populous city in the country. The new city serves as an administrative seat and was rebuilt as a planned city in 1960, offering some spectacular architectural works that an architect would boast of. The magnificence of the architecture was also recognised by UNESCO and got listed in the World Heritage Site.
The new design of the city was planned by two leading persona: Oscar Niemeyer and Lúcio Costa.
Unlike other cities of Brazil, Brasilia has a modernist outlook and the football fever is not so high compared to other cities.
The international airport of Brasilia connects to all other cities in the country, along with international flights connecting a couple of foreign destinations.
Brasilia also has a good connection of bus and taxi services as they connect to other cities of Brazil. The local transport also offers similar services, and it should be made clear to visitors not to walk in the street since the city is not designed for walking.
Brasilia also offers metro services, introduced for the interest of the public in 2001.
The city also offers good accommodation services of varying degree. The hotels are mainly concentrated near the lake of Pontao, having magnificent landscape or the hotel sectors in north and southern part of the city.
Estádio Nacional Mané Garrincha
It is a multi-purpose stadium used mainly to host soccer matches. The stadium was later renovated after FIFA confirmed to host matches for the upcoming World Cup. With lots of obstruction and tribulation that followed during construction, the stadium is now ready to catch some of the formidable actions in world soccer.
The stadium has seating capacity of 68,000, besides other necessary amenities to host the World Cup.
How to Reach
Brasilia is slated to host seven matches during the World Cup. It includes one quarterfinal and the match to fight for the third position.
The national stadium is located in the centre of the city, towards the western flank of Eixo Monumental.
One can reach the stadium via metro Central, which is around 2 km from the venue. Alternatively, it is also possible to catch a local bus running along Eixo Monumental.
Brasilia enjoys tropical savanna weather. There is strong variance in humidity as one may find a season absolutely dry, while the other season could be comparatively humid. The period of June and July is expected to be cooler with minimum temperature expected around 11 °C and the maximum can be expected around 26 °C.
The Ffollowing are the matches scheduled to be hosted in Brasilia: Switzerland vs. Ecuador (June 15), Colombia vs. Ivory Coast (June 19), Cameroon vs. Brazil (June 23) and Portugal vs. Ghana (June 26). In the second round of the match, the winner of group E will contend with the runner-up of group F, followed by the quarter-inal to decide the third winner of World Cup 2014.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: F1 Driver's Father Says Son In A Desperate Situation
- Manny Pacquiao Chasing Floyd Mayweather Jr. Because Of Money But Says Undefeated American Is Afraid Of Filipino - Analysts
- Floyd Mayweather Trains Justin Bieber In The Boxing Ring
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: Driver's Mother Says People 'Shirking Responsibility' About The Accident
- Novak Djokovic Aims For World No. 1 Rank In 2015, Becker Says
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu