FIFA World Cup 2014: A Guide to Brasilia
By Dhrubajyoti Biswas | April 10, 2014 5:16 PM EST
Brasilia is the federal capital of Brazil and is considered the seventh most populous city in the country. The new city serves as an administrative seat and was rebuilt as a planned city in 1960, offering some spectacular architectural works that an architect would boast of. The magnificence of the architecture was also recognised by UNESCO and got listed in the World Heritage Site.
The new design of the city was planned by two leading persona: Oscar Niemeyer and Lúcio Costa.
Unlike other cities of Brazil, Brasilia has a modernist outlook and the football fever is not so high compared to other cities.
The international airport of Brasilia connects to all other cities in the country, along with international flights connecting a couple of foreign destinations.
Brasilia also has a good connection of bus and taxi services as they connect to other cities of Brazil. The local transport also offers similar services, and it should be made clear to visitors not to walk in the street since the city is not designed for walking.
Brasilia also offers metro services, introduced for the interest of the public in 2001.
The city also offers good accommodation services of varying degree. The hotels are mainly concentrated near the lake of Pontao, having magnificent landscape or the hotel sectors in north and southern part of the city.
Estádio Nacional Mané Garrincha
It is a multi-purpose stadium used mainly to host soccer matches. The stadium was later renovated after FIFA confirmed to host matches for the upcoming World Cup. With lots of obstruction and tribulation that followed during construction, the stadium is now ready to catch some of the formidable actions in world soccer.
The stadium has seating capacity of 68,000, besides other necessary amenities to host the World Cup.
How to Reach
Brasilia is slated to host seven matches during the World Cup. It includes one quarterfinal and the match to fight for the third position.
The national stadium is located in the centre of the city, towards the western flank of Eixo Monumental.
One can reach the stadium via metro Central, which is around 2 km from the venue. Alternatively, it is also possible to catch a local bus running along Eixo Monumental.
Brasilia enjoys tropical savanna weather. There is strong variance in humidity as one may find a season absolutely dry, while the other season could be comparatively humid. The period of June and July is expected to be cooler with minimum temperature expected around 11 °C and the maximum can be expected around 26 °C.
The Ffollowing are the matches scheduled to be hosted in Brasilia: Switzerland vs. Ecuador (June 15), Colombia vs. Ivory Coast (June 19), Cameroon vs. Brazil (June 23) and Portugal vs. Ghana (June 26). In the second round of the match, the winner of group E will contend with the runner-up of group F, followed by the quarter-inal to decide the third winner of World Cup 2014.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Shockingly Sign Valencia Defender [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Roger Federer Brings Danger To Novak Djokovic, Rafael Nadal at US Open
- Rugby Sevens Semis & Finals Live Stream, Schedule & Results – Commonwealth Games 2014
- Serena Williams Makes History; Among Most Dominant World's No.1 in History
- A Beautiful Distraction: 5 Things You Need to Know About Sabina Altynbekova
- Boxing News 2014: 50 Cent Hits Mayweather Over Money Deal, Mocks Boxer in Instagram for Losing GF to Nelly
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Nexus 5 and Nexus 7 Android 5.0 L Material Design Coming with More Interface Changes
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- Samsung Galaxy S4 LTE-A Android 4.4.2 KitKat Update Rolls Out: When to Hit Your Region
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- Shocking Video of Pedigree Dog Culling in Bali Emerges [Video]