FIFA World Cup 2014: A Guide to Brasilia
By Dhrubajyoti Biswas | April 10, 2014 5:16 PM EST
Brasilia is the federal capital of Brazil and is considered the seventh most populous city in the country. The new city serves as an administrative seat and was rebuilt as a planned city in 1960, offering some spectacular architectural works that an architect would boast of. The magnificence of the architecture was also recognised by UNESCO and got listed in the World Heritage Site.
The new design of the city was planned by two leading persona: Oscar Niemeyer and Lúcio Costa.
Unlike other cities of Brazil, Brasilia has a modernist outlook and the football fever is not so high compared to other cities.
The international airport of Brasilia connects to all other cities in the country, along with international flights connecting a couple of foreign destinations.
Brasilia also has a good connection of bus and taxi services as they connect to other cities of Brazil. The local transport also offers similar services, and it should be made clear to visitors not to walk in the street since the city is not designed for walking.
Brasilia also offers metro services, introduced for the interest of the public in 2001.
The city also offers good accommodation services of varying degree. The hotels are mainly concentrated near the lake of Pontao, having magnificent landscape or the hotel sectors in north and southern part of the city.
Estádio Nacional Mané Garrincha
It is a multi-purpose stadium used mainly to host soccer matches. The stadium was later renovated after FIFA confirmed to host matches for the upcoming World Cup. With lots of obstruction and tribulation that followed during construction, the stadium is now ready to catch some of the formidable actions in world soccer.
The stadium has seating capacity of 68,000, besides other necessary amenities to host the World Cup.
How to Reach
Brasilia is slated to host seven matches during the World Cup. It includes one quarterfinal and the match to fight for the third position.
The national stadium is located in the centre of the city, towards the western flank of Eixo Monumental.
One can reach the stadium via metro Central, which is around 2 km from the venue. Alternatively, it is also possible to catch a local bus running along Eixo Monumental.
Brasilia enjoys tropical savanna weather. There is strong variance in humidity as one may find a season absolutely dry, while the other season could be comparatively humid. The period of June and July is expected to be cooler with minimum temperature expected around 11 °C and the maximum can be expected around 26 °C.
The Ffollowing are the matches scheduled to be hosted in Brasilia: Switzerland vs. Ecuador (June 15), Colombia vs. Ivory Coast (June 19), Cameroon vs. Brazil (June 23) and Portugal vs. Ghana (June 26). In the second round of the match, the winner of group E will contend with the runner-up of group F, followed by the quarter-inal to decide the third winner of World Cup 2014.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Transfer News: Real Madrid Unveil Galactico James Rodriguez [PHOTOS]
- Roger Federer Regains Deadly Service Game - Andy Roddick
- Jeremy Lin Seeks Respect From Lakers Star Kobe Bryant
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Sony Xperia M2 vs. Moto G – Specifications, Features and Price Showdown