Top 3 Aussie Players to Watch at the World Cup 2014
By Rachelle Corpuz | April 10, 2014 5:02 PM EST
Australia faces what could be the toughest opponents by far in the 2014 World Cup- the defending champion Spain and 2010 finalists Chile and Netherlands in Group B matches. The Australian national association football team would be representing the country in its fourth World Cup appearance, following its previous appearances in 1974, 2006 and 2010.
The official mascot of the FIFA 2014 World Cup, Fuleco the Armadillo, is seen on a float of Leandro de Itaquera samba school during the first night of the Special Group of the annual Carnival parade in Sao Paulo's Sambadrome February 28, 2014. REUTERS/Paulo Whitaker
Australia would first clash against Chile, followed by Netherlands and Spain on June 13, June, 18 and June 23, respectively. With only a couple months left before World Cup officially commences, let us find out how are the Australian athletes to watch out for in the 2014 World Cup.
Tim Cahill is known as Australia's all-time top scorer. He plays for the American Major League Soccer club, the New York Red Bulls, and the 2014 World Cup would be his third World Cup appearance. Cahill recently injured his hamstring during his team's match against Chivas USA on March 30, but current reports say that he is slowly making progress. More evaluations are expected to be carried out on Cahill. Nonetheless, the 34-year-old athlete isn't in a hurry to play for the season. Bulls head coach Mike Petke isn't also anticipating Cahill's comeback and said his health is more important than anything else.
"It's about his health and he has a long season ahead and a World Cup as well," said Petke. "It's not a situation that we're going to rush him back if he's no 100 percent, then something else could happen, it could be worse," Petke added.
Mile Jedinak is a defensive midfielder for the Australian national football team. He was a member of the 2010 FIFA World Cup Australian squad which makes the 2014 World Cup his second consecutive appearance. Jedinak is reportedly the frontrunner to captain the Socceroos in Brazil after he was chosen as the captain in the team's London match on March 5. Jedinak couldn't be more honoured for the opportunity.
"It's probably the hugest, biggest honour you could have as a footballer, captaining your country," Jedinak said.
Australian national association football team head coach Ange Postecoglou thinks Jedinak is one of the country's key athletes for the upcoming World Cup in Brazil because he is one of the few athletes to plays at the "highest level."
At 22, Tommy Oar is slowly making his name and moving up the football ranks, Fox News reported. Oar has joined A-League's Brisbane Roar in the 2008-2009 season, after which he was named the best young player in Australia the year after.
Playing for the World Cup is one of Oar's dreams. "It would be a fantastic experience," Oar said in an interview with Benefoot.net in February. "It's all down to the coach but hopefully I'll be there," he added.
Coach Postecoglou is hopeful that Australia would do great in the 2014 World Cup
Speaking to The Associated Press via Fox News, Postecoglou revealed that their spirits will remain positive even though most critics do not think that they stand a chance, let alone earn a point.
"It's a chance for us to measure ourselves," Postecoglou said. "From my point of view, we're going to be very positive," he added.
MORE SPORTS/ENTERTAINMENT NEWS:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Male Tennis Players To Watch [PHOTOS]
- What Happens When You Give Up Sex For 12 Months? – Dialogue With Peter Lynagh – Exclusive
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Female Tennis Athletes [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: Argentina vs. Philippines Preview, Starting Lineups
- Kate Upton And BF Justin Verlander Nude Photo Leaked; Verlander Instantly Became An Internet Meme Sensation
- Grigor Dimitrov Shares Fashion Tips With Maria Sharapova
- FIBA World Cup 2014: Puerto Rico vs. Greece Live Streaming, Betting Odds and Preview
- 2014 US Open Round of 16: Grigor Dimitrov vs. Gael Monfils Live Streaming and Preview
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones
- Russia Massacres Ukrainian Volunteer Battalions—Surviving Members Alleged