German Granddaughter Emotional on Presentation of 101-Old Message in a Bottle
By Ma Evelyn Castino Quilas | April 10, 2014 3:51 PM EST
Angela Erdmann, granddaughter of the German letter sender, could not hide her tears that trickled down her face when the 101-old message in a bottle was presented to her at the Hamburg museum in Germany.
"It's almost unbelievable," 62-year-old granddaughter said the very first time she grasped the intact bottle. She told DPA, the German news agency, "That was a very moving moment."
Known as the oldest note, the brown bottle was unexpectedly fished from Baltic Sea which is about 2 miles from Kiel lighthouse. Tree fishermen such as Konrad Fischer, Klaus Matthiesen and Thomas Buick retrieved it from their nets.
The record-breaking discovery, which looked like a discarded beer bottle at the first glance, is now being displayed at the museum until May 1. It contained a simple postcard with two German stamps inside dated May 17, 1913.
Cited in the message was a request that whoever would find the note would return it to her hometown. While the author's original plan maybe cost-cutting on fees for international postage, the note took more than a century to finally find its way home.
Based on the address in the note, researchers found it belonged to German baker's son named Richard Platz who was then 20. He scribbled the note and tossed it in the Baltic during a walk with a nature lover's group.
Edmann who now lives in Berlin never met her grandfather who died at the age of 56 in 1946. But the penmanship on the note strongly resembles the Platz' handwriting later in life therefore erasing any doubt on his authorship on the postcard.
The entire message will take some time for experts to decipher though since time and wetness have rendered much of the writings unreadable.
Even so, Edmann revealed to local newspapers the surprisingly find prompted her to learn from her Social democrat grandfather by pouring through the family scrapbook. She found the grandfather she never met was a voracious reader.
Two years ago, Guinness World Record listed a 97-year-old message in a bottle so Edmann's emotional reception of this recent discovery of his grandfather's note is fitting.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- 2014 Meteor Shower: Slooh To Have Live Broadcast Of Orionids Meteor Shower October 21 Peak, NASA Assures Ideal Observing Conditions
- Kate Middleton To Give Birth To A 'Cheerful' Baby, Duchess Not Carrying Twins---Report
- Woman Stuck In Chimney: Genoveva Nunez-Figueroa Arrested For Attempted Break-In After Rescue Team Pulls Stuck Woman Out Of Chimney
- 63-Year-Old Admits He Has Made Love To More Than 700 Cars But Now Remains Faithful To Just One Beetle
- Top Fake News Websites - Be Aware Or Beware
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar