Michael Schumacher Coming Out of Coma? Showing More Positive Signs; Recovery May Take a Long Time, says Survivor
By Rachelle Corpuz | April 10, 2014 3:35 PM EST
It has been more than three months since racing legend Michael Schumacher has been put in a medically-induced coma. While it is normal for Schumacher's family members, friends, and even fans to feel restless at this point in time as they continue to wait for him to wake up, they must also understand that people don't usually wake up from a coma right away. Three months may already be a long time but what is important is that Schumacher is coming around gradually and perhaps on his way to regaining brain function. A new report say that Schumacher is showing more legit signs the he could be coming out of coma.
Red Bull Formula One driver Sebastian Vettel of Germany takes the ''Michael Schumacher turn'' as he drives his car during day four of Formula One's final pre-season test at Bahrain International Circuit (BIC) in Sakhir south of Manama, March 2, 2014
According to MSN Fox Sports referencing to the media reports made by Italian and German newspapers, Schumacher now responds to voices and even makes eye contact. Schumacher's close friend and former Formula One (F1) driver Jean Alesi had paid Schumacher a visit at the French Grenoble University Hospital and revealed that the seven-time racing champion are showing more encouraging signs. Alesi said in a report by Speed Week that Schumacher only responded to pain prior, like when he was being pinched for instance. However, those reactions to pain may be the body's way of responding in an unconscious manner so they could not really count on them. However, Alesi was delighted to notice positive signs from Schumacher during his last visit.
"During my last visit, I realized that something was beginning to change for the better," said Alesi. "I felt with the family some relief, a great joy about how things were developing," he added. Alesi noted that even though the road to recovery is a long time, they are glad that Schumacher is showing positive signs for them not to lose hope.
In a separate report by the Wall Street Journal, Schumacher's manager Sabine Kehm confirmed that the F1 champion is indeed "making progress." Kehm added that Schumacher is showing "moments of consciousness and awakening."
"We are on his side during his long and difficult fight, together with the team of the hospital in Grenoble, and we keep remaining confident," said Kehm.
Unfortunately, Schumacher might be showing more legit signs that he may be soon coming out of coma but it is still a little early to call them developments. University Hospital Heidelberg professor and deputy director of the Neurosurgical Clinic Oliver Sakowitz said it is as good sign that Schumacher is exhibiting the first signs of waking up but it is still a long way to go. "A real breakthrough would of course be if he made contact or reacts to something explicitly, but we haven't heard of this," said Dr. Sakowitz.
Coma survivor Barb Butler said that recovery will indeed take a long time, CBC.ca reported. Ms. Butler is a former Regina instructor who spent nearly a month in coma when she got into a car crash in 1993. "It's a gradual thing, you slowly come out of them," she said.
Ms. Butler couldn't really recall that exact details when she woke up from coma and said she only trusted on the information provided by her family and friends.
"I would begin my opening my eyes, but not focusing," said Ms. Butler.
The fact that Schumacher is now making eye contact is definitely a positive sign that he would soon wake up completely from coma, but then again it will take a long time before he can fully recover. As Ms. Butler put it, the recovery process involves learning everything again - from "eating, reading, walking, and even basic social skills."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Brad Pitt Still in Love with Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston, Staying with Angelina Jolie for Sake of Kids, Claims Brad's Psychic
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
- Transfer News: Manchester United's Possible Transfer Options For This Season
Join the Conversation
- Floyd Sr Already Endorsing Manny Pacquiao vs. Floyd Fight After Anticipated Victory Over Maidana
- Top 10 Highest Paid Tennis Players
- Dallas Cowboys Have Worst Linebackers in History, Tony Romo To Miss Games Again – Gerry Fraley
- Chelsea FC Transfer News: Mourinho's Free-Transfer Ploy On Khedira Working, After Latter Refused To Pen New Real Madrid Deal
- Spanish Super Cup Second Leg Preview
- James Foley Beheading Video Has Play-Acting Portions – Video Experts Say
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- Upcoming Sony Xperia Z3 With Dual-SIM Support Gets Approved In China; Full Specifications Revealed; Amber-Coloured Xperia Z3 Tipped
- More Nexus 8/Nexus 9 Release Confirmed with More Leaks and Out of Stock Nexus 7 and 10
- James Foley: Release of Beheading Video by ISIS Meant to Attract More Recruits to Join the Cause – Intelligence
- 2015 Ford Mustang: Right-Hand Drive Pony Car To Be Available In Australia Next Year
- James Foley: ISIS Demanded Multimillion Ransom, US Refused To Pay---Reports