Michael Schumacher Coming Out of Coma? Showing More Positive Signs; Recovery May Take a Long Time, says Survivor
By Rachelle Corpuz | April 10, 2014 3:35 PM EST
It has been more than three months since racing legend Michael Schumacher has been put in a medically-induced coma. While it is normal for Schumacher's family members, friends, and even fans to feel restless at this point in time as they continue to wait for him to wake up, they must also understand that people don't usually wake up from a coma right away. Three months may already be a long time but what is important is that Schumacher is coming around gradually and perhaps on his way to regaining brain function. A new report say that Schumacher is showing more legit signs the he could be coming out of coma.
Red Bull Formula One driver Sebastian Vettel of Germany takes the ''Michael Schumacher turn'' as he drives his car during day four of Formula One's final pre-season test at Bahrain International Circuit (BIC) in Sakhir south of Manama, March 2, 2014
According to MSN Fox Sports referencing to the media reports made by Italian and German newspapers, Schumacher now responds to voices and even makes eye contact. Schumacher's close friend and former Formula One (F1) driver Jean Alesi had paid Schumacher a visit at the French Grenoble University Hospital and revealed that the seven-time racing champion are showing more encouraging signs. Alesi said in a report by Speed Week that Schumacher only responded to pain prior, like when he was being pinched for instance. However, those reactions to pain may be the body's way of responding in an unconscious manner so they could not really count on them. However, Alesi was delighted to notice positive signs from Schumacher during his last visit.
"During my last visit, I realized that something was beginning to change for the better," said Alesi. "I felt with the family some relief, a great joy about how things were developing," he added. Alesi noted that even though the road to recovery is a long time, they are glad that Schumacher is showing positive signs for them not to lose hope.
In a separate report by the Wall Street Journal, Schumacher's manager Sabine Kehm confirmed that the F1 champion is indeed "making progress." Kehm added that Schumacher is showing "moments of consciousness and awakening."
"We are on his side during his long and difficult fight, together with the team of the hospital in Grenoble, and we keep remaining confident," said Kehm.
Unfortunately, Schumacher might be showing more legit signs that he may be soon coming out of coma but it is still a little early to call them developments. University Hospital Heidelberg professor and deputy director of the Neurosurgical Clinic Oliver Sakowitz said it is as good sign that Schumacher is exhibiting the first signs of waking up but it is still a long way to go. "A real breakthrough would of course be if he made contact or reacts to something explicitly, but we haven't heard of this," said Dr. Sakowitz.
Coma survivor Barb Butler said that recovery will indeed take a long time, CBC.ca reported. Ms. Butler is a former Regina instructor who spent nearly a month in coma when she got into a car crash in 1993. "It's a gradual thing, you slowly come out of them," she said.
Ms. Butler couldn't really recall that exact details when she woke up from coma and said she only trusted on the information provided by her family and friends.
"I would begin my opening my eyes, but not focusing," said Ms. Butler.
The fact that Schumacher is now making eye contact is definitely a positive sign that he would soon wake up completely from coma, but then again it will take a long time before he can fully recover. As Ms. Butler put it, the recovery process involves learning everything again - from "eating, reading, walking, and even basic social skills."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Group B: Greece vs. Philippines Live Streaming Info, Betting Odds and Preview
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: USA vs. Turkey Preview, Starting Lineups [VIDEO]
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Group Stage: Puerto Rico vs. Argentina Live Streaming Info and Preview
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: France vs. Serbia Preview, Starting Lineups [VIDEO]
- Manchester United Transfer News: Daley Blind Is 'Not Strong Enough' For The Premier League - Scholes
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Google Chrome 64-bit for Windows 8 and Window 7 with Mac Beta Available
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Google Can Kill Samsung with Android KitKat and Android One: Here's How