Joshua Clottey Sends Aussie Anthony Mundine to Retirement
By James Patrick Quizon | April 10, 2014 3:33 PM EST
Joshua Clottey dominated and destroyed Australian Anthony Mundine on Thursday and it could be the final fight for the Aussie, who was just completely outclassed at the Entertainment Centre in Newcastle, New South Wales, Australia
“The Man” did not want to accept the hard truth when interviewed post-fight.
“I don’t want to think about that now,” he said on questions about retirement. “I want to take some time off and relax. Who knows?”
However, his atrocious performance against Clottey could very well speak about what is inevitable for the 38-year-old.
Mundine went down five times total in the bout--- in the 3rd round, twice in the 6th round, 8th round and another one in the 10th round.
“I got caught early and didn’t recover the way I wanted to,” Mundine said. “My defence wasn’t tight enough but I finished the fight on my feet.”
The Australian did stand up in each knockdown and extended the fight to the distance. The scorecards reflected the domination of Clottey as the judges gave the unanimous decision victory, 116-108, 115-109 and 117-108 to the boxer out of Accra, Ghana who now resides in the U.S.A.
Clottey improved to 38 wins with just 4 losses in his career while Mundine dropped to 46-6-0. The Australian is also just 2-2 in his last four bouts.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Dota 2 Match Fixing Controversy: Arrow Gaming Disqualified From Summit 2 Tournament [VIDEO]
- Roger Federer Starts Practicing On Clay For The Davis Cup Final
- Toni Nadal Says Roger Federer Is The Greatest Of All Time
- Manchester United: Did Ed Woodward Really Uttered Expletives During The Red Devils' Draw Against West Brom?
- Chelsea FC: No 'Crying' For The Blues Amid Injury Woes Ahead Of Man Utd Clash, Says Mourinho
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Israel Loses A Friend in UN Security Council As New Zealand Replaces Australia