'Son of God' Hits Box Office; Audience Reacts, Diogo Morgado Named #HotJesus on Twitter
By Alyssa Ashley Lucas | April 10, 2014 3:12 PM EST
Is there any man out there other than the "Son of God" actor Diogo Morgado who gets so much criticism and yet gets called 'Hot Jesus' on social media? None so far.
The Holy Crown of Thorns is displayed during a ceremony at Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris on March 21, 2014.
Movies with biblical importance had been kicking off wild this Lenten season. "Son of God" reportedly made a box-office surprise when it hit $1.2 million during its movie premiere and now has $58 million in gross revenue. Other biblical movies that also made names are "Noah" starring Russel Crowe and the low-budget film "God's Not Dead."
Since the "Son of God" movie, starring the Portuguese actor Diogo Morgado, made its worldwide release on Feb. 28, 2014, critics had been all over the Web to make remarks, which just made the audience even more curious as to what the biblical movie is really all about.
The worldwide success of the 10-hour History Channel's "The Bible" series shown in 2013 where Morgado also played as Jesus Christ was what led up to the full-length movie "Son of God" by Mark Burnett and actress Roma Downey.
Fighting to emerge from all the biblical stories already made into film, "Son of God" opted to depict the entire life of Jesus Christ with social media's "Hot Jesus" in tow. There is no denying that Diogo Morgado has the looks to capture the worldwide audience. Recently the 34-year-old actor and model trended on Twitter with #HotJesus.
"I take the nickname (Hot Jesus) as a compliment obviously, but I'm waiting for the good stuff. And the good stuff for me is if someone just nabbed me on the shoulder and said, 'Look, you did a pretty good job,'" Morgado told USA Today.
Despite the popularity that Morgado is getting, though, the movie "Son of God" had not been very convincing to critics. It was rated 22% by critics and 77% by users through the Rotten Tomatoes Web site. Apparently, even if Morgado has it all figured out, the audience is not entirely cooperative.
"To watch Morgado entreat the costumed masses with talk of love and compassion is to witness a kind of anti-charisma, a bland earnestness," Steven Rea observed through his movie review for Philadelphia Inquirer.
Morgado might have been viewed to possess an "anti-charisma" but Nicolas Rapold from New York Times had a different view. Rapold stated on his movie review that "Mr. Morgado's Jesus is steadfast and has a generic charismatic glow." However, not much can be said with that as the reviewer added that Morgado has "little feeling of depth" and "seems like a visual supplement to his word."
But Morgado has it all under control. Morgado told inquirer.net that, obviously, he takes the comments regarding his looks as a "compliment."
". . . but I don't want that to take away from what we tried to achieve. The best story is the story that gets to the most people. If the message of Jesus was love, hope, and compassion, and I can bring that to more people by being a more appealing Jesus, I am happy with that," Morgado declared.
The Lenten season is just about the best time to breathe in, pray, repent and take a look back at how Jesus sacrificed himself to save humanity from sins. "Hot Jesus" or not, Diogo Morgado still knows the reason why he is portraying Jesus Christ.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- 'NCIS Los Angeles' Season 6 Recap: Episode 9 'Traitor' Aired On Nov. 24, 2014, The Hunt For The ‘NCIS LA’ Mole Is Over [WATCH VIDEOS]
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ (Y&R) Nov. 26 Spoilers: Victoria Finds Who The Father Of Her Child Is And Jack And Phyllis Rekindle Romance
- Kate Middleton Cries As She Listens To A Moving Tale Of A Mother Who Lost Her Infant Daughter
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season7, Episode 12 Spoilers: Thanksgiving Break, SAMCRO Returns In December [VIDEO]
- ‘Dancing With The Stars’ (DWTS) Season 19 (2014) Finale Recap: And The Winner Is…[Spoilers]
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- '$2,000 For Sex'—Pleads Unlucky-in-Love Guy On OKCupid
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]
- Lumia Update Will Come Soon Confirms Microsoft