'Son of God' Hits Box Office; Audience Reacts, Diogo Morgado Named #HotJesus on Twitter
By Alyssa Ashley Lucas | April 10, 2014 3:12 PM EST
Is there any man out there other than the "Son of God" actor Diogo Morgado who gets so much criticism and yet gets called 'Hot Jesus' on social media? None so far.
The Holy Crown of Thorns is displayed during a ceremony at Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris on March 21, 2014.
Movies with biblical importance had been kicking off wild this Lenten season. "Son of God" reportedly made a box-office surprise when it hit $1.2 million during its movie premiere and now has $58 million in gross revenue. Other biblical movies that also made names are "Noah" starring Russel Crowe and the low-budget film "God's Not Dead."
Since the "Son of God" movie, starring the Portuguese actor Diogo Morgado, made its worldwide release on Feb. 28, 2014, critics had been all over the Web to make remarks, which just made the audience even more curious as to what the biblical movie is really all about.
The worldwide success of the 10-hour History Channel's "The Bible" series shown in 2013 where Morgado also played as Jesus Christ was what led up to the full-length movie "Son of God" by Mark Burnett and actress Roma Downey.
Fighting to emerge from all the biblical stories already made into film, "Son of God" opted to depict the entire life of Jesus Christ with social media's "Hot Jesus" in tow. There is no denying that Diogo Morgado has the looks to capture the worldwide audience. Recently the 34-year-old actor and model trended on Twitter with #HotJesus.
"I take the nickname (Hot Jesus) as a compliment obviously, but I'm waiting for the good stuff. And the good stuff for me is if someone just nabbed me on the shoulder and said, 'Look, you did a pretty good job,'" Morgado told USA Today.
Despite the popularity that Morgado is getting, though, the movie "Son of God" had not been very convincing to critics. It was rated 22% by critics and 77% by users through the Rotten Tomatoes Web site. Apparently, even if Morgado has it all figured out, the audience is not entirely cooperative.
"To watch Morgado entreat the costumed masses with talk of love and compassion is to witness a kind of anti-charisma, a bland earnestness," Steven Rea observed through his movie review for Philadelphia Inquirer.
Morgado might have been viewed to possess an "anti-charisma" but Nicolas Rapold from New York Times had a different view. Rapold stated on his movie review that "Mr. Morgado's Jesus is steadfast and has a generic charismatic glow." However, not much can be said with that as the reviewer added that Morgado has "little feeling of depth" and "seems like a visual supplement to his word."
But Morgado has it all under control. Morgado told inquirer.net that, obviously, he takes the comments regarding his looks as a "compliment."
". . . but I don't want that to take away from what we tried to achieve. The best story is the story that gets to the most people. If the message of Jesus was love, hope, and compassion, and I can bring that to more people by being a more appealing Jesus, I am happy with that," Morgado declared.
The Lenten season is just about the best time to breathe in, pray, repent and take a look back at how Jesus sacrificed himself to save humanity from sins. "Hot Jesus" or not, Diogo Morgado still knows the reason why he is portraying Jesus Christ.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 2 Major Spoilers, Air Date: Where To Watch Online, Live Stream ‘Strangers’
- ‘The X Factor Australia’ Grand Final Sing-Off: Marlisa Punzalan, Dean Ray and Brothers 3 [VIDEOS]
- 'Vampire Diaries' Season 6 Spoilers: Stefan Proposes To 'Elena Williams' In Promo Trailer For Episode 4 Titled 'Black Hole Sun' [WATCH VIDEO]
- ‘The Bachelor Australia’: Blake And Louise Tell The True Story
- ‘Days Of Our Lives’ (DOOL) Oct. 20-24 Spoilers: An ‘Unexpected Visitor’ Changes Everything For Sami Plus Updates On Salemites
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- iPhone 6 vs Nexus 6 vs Galaxy Note 4: Performance and User Interface Comparison
- Fappening: Message Board Posters Belittle Nude Photo Leakers As D-Listers Seeking Publicity
- Fappening: Lindsay Clubine, Wife Of Boston Red Sox Pitcher Clay Buchholz, & George Sampson Of Britain’s Got Talent, Are The Latest Victims Of Celebrity Nude Leaks
- U.S. Missile Shield In Europe Opens In Romania: Russia's Reservations Ignored
- Spain Offers To Train Iraqi Troops To Fight Back ISIS Militants: Kurdish Forces Making Gains In Kobani Against ISIS Surge