Air Canada North American Flights to Have Wi-Fi Access
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | April 10, 2014 3:10 PM EST
Air Canada travelers to North America can now enjoy Wi-Fi access starting May, the airline has announced recently.
At least 29 Air Canada aircraft will have email, internet and mobile device apps this year.
A tired Air Canada pilot mistakenly believed his jet was about to crash into another aircraft and forced a sudden dive of the plane, injuring several people on board, but the approaching aircraft turned out to be Venus.
Peter Fitzpatrick, Air Canada spokesman, said the company has yet to finalize prices for the wireless Internet offering but noted costs will be comparable to land mobile broadband services.
"It's mostly aimed at business traffic, because they're the heaviest users," Fitzpatrick added.
He noted Air Canada will "offer variations on pricing, such as single use for one flight or a package for a number of flights."
Air Canada is currently testing the wireless Internet service on two Airbus A319 planes. Apart from the 29 aircraft planned to be fitted this year, the rest of its Airbus, Embraer and Bombardier planes will also have the offering by 2015.
Air Canada hooked up with in-flight Wi-Fi provider Illinois-based company Gogo for the feature. It will test satellite connections with international flights in 2015. Gogo's service is compatible for tablets, laptops and smartphones.
"In today's connected world, our customers want to access e-mail, mobile device applications and the Internet wherever they are, both to increase their work productivity and expand their leisure options," Ben Smith, Air Canada executive vice-president and chief commercial officer, said in a statement.
The move to offer Wi-Fi is seen to boost Air Canada's revenues.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Washington Redskins 20, Dallas Cowboys 17 (OT) [PHOTOS]
- Emma Watson Gets 'Squished' In 'Colonia Dignidad' [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 6: Kansas City Royals 10, San Francisco Giants 0 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Entry Of Peshmerga Fighters From Iraq Boosts The Kobani Battle Against ISIS: Turkey Provides Transit
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- Woman Hanged In Iran Talks Abuse In Prison, Left Chilling Message To Family