Samsung Galaxy S3 and Galaxy S3 Mini Android 4.4.2 KitKat Still Missing; Galaxy S3 Software Update Support Expires
By Ryan Inoyori | April 10, 2014 2:53 PM EST
Samsung Galaxy S3 is eligible to receive an official Android 4.4.2 KitKat according to early reports. However, March already passed by and Samsung Arabia has no idea regarding future updates. Will Galaxy S3 and Galaxy S3 Mini receive another major firmware update?
Galaxy S3 Android KitKat
According to the official software support page of Samsung U.S., Galaxy S3 remains eligible to get Android 4.4 KitKat update and it will receive several enhancements from the new firmware such as new Location Menu, Enhanced Messaging function and upgraded Google Mobile Service apps.
However, the Web site did not mention any details regarding the official release date or expected rollout timeframe. Also, there is no information which Galaxy S3 variant is eligible to receive another major update after Android 4.3 Jelly Bean.
Early reports claim that Galaxy S3 I9300 is not eligible anymore to receive Android KitKat while I9305 remains eligible. It is due to the minimum memory required to run the latest firmware by Samsung. GT-I9300 features 1 GB of RAM which is lower than the 2 GB sported by GT-I9305.
Samsung Arabia updated the Android 4.4 KitKat status for Galaxy S3 at their official Facebook account. A message thread originated from a Facebook user who posted inquiry back in March 11th which included the confirmation of Android KitKat update. Unfortunately, new comments flooded the inquiry regarding the official Android KitKat update including questions for Galaxy S3 Mini.
According to new replies of Samsung Arabia, there is no plan yet of any Android KitKat release for both Galaxy S3 and Galaxy S3 Mini. Samsung Arabia received no information regarding future plans for the two smartphones regarding a major update and simply advises consumers to be patient for any new updates.
Galaxy S3's "futureproof" trait finally gets a limit as the device begins to expire from any software update support.
Galaxy S3 GT-I9300 was released in May 2012 and already expired in November 2013 while GT-I9305 with 2 GB of RAM was released in September 2012 and just got its support expiration last month.
Samsung may remove Galaxy S3 GT-I9300 from the Android KitKat upgrade plans for two good reasons - hardware weakness and expiration of software support. But they may keep Galaxy S3 GT-I9305 as part of the future upgrade plans if the firmware is already been scheduled for development.
Right now, the official support page of Samsung U.S. still list both Galaxy S3 and Galaxy S3 Mini as part of Android KitKat update and users should wait till the company official confirms ineligibility.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- GTA V Online: Money-Glitch Ban Goes After Cheaters as a New Zombie DLC Leak is Spotted
- Android 4.4.3 and 4.4.4 KitKat Still Delayed for Samsung Galaxy S3, Galaxy Note 2, Galaxy S4 and Galaxy Note 3
- Sony Xperia Z2 Tablet 17.1.2.A.0.314 Firmware Update to Improve Touch Screen and Charging Speed
- Nokia Lumia 630 vs. Sony Xperia M Specs and Price Comparison in Australia
- HTC One Mini 2 vs. LG G2 Specs and Price Comparison in Australia
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8