Samsung Galaxy S3 and Galaxy S3 Mini Android 4.4.2 KitKat Still Missing; Galaxy S3 Software Update Support Expires
By Ryan Inoyori | April 10, 2014 2:53 PM EST
Samsung Galaxy S3 is eligible to receive an official Android 4.4.2 KitKat according to early reports. However, March already passed by and Samsung Arabia has no idea regarding future updates. Will Galaxy S3 and Galaxy S3 Mini receive another major firmware update?
Galaxy S3 Android KitKat
According to the official software support page of Samsung U.S., Galaxy S3 remains eligible to get Android 4.4 KitKat update and it will receive several enhancements from the new firmware such as new Location Menu, Enhanced Messaging function and upgraded Google Mobile Service apps.
However, the Web site did not mention any details regarding the official release date or expected rollout timeframe. Also, there is no information which Galaxy S3 variant is eligible to receive another major update after Android 4.3 Jelly Bean.
Early reports claim that Galaxy S3 I9300 is not eligible anymore to receive Android KitKat while I9305 remains eligible. It is due to the minimum memory required to run the latest firmware by Samsung. GT-I9300 features 1 GB of RAM which is lower than the 2 GB sported by GT-I9305.
Samsung Arabia updated the Android 4.4 KitKat status for Galaxy S3 at their official Facebook account. A message thread originated from a Facebook user who posted inquiry back in March 11th which included the confirmation of Android KitKat update. Unfortunately, new comments flooded the inquiry regarding the official Android KitKat update including questions for Galaxy S3 Mini.
According to new replies of Samsung Arabia, there is no plan yet of any Android KitKat release for both Galaxy S3 and Galaxy S3 Mini. Samsung Arabia received no information regarding future plans for the two smartphones regarding a major update and simply advises consumers to be patient for any new updates.
Galaxy S3's "futureproof" trait finally gets a limit as the device begins to expire from any software update support.
Galaxy S3 GT-I9300 was released in May 2012 and already expired in November 2013 while GT-I9305 with 2 GB of RAM was released in September 2012 and just got its support expiration last month.
Samsung may remove Galaxy S3 GT-I9300 from the Android KitKat upgrade plans for two good reasons - hardware weakness and expiration of software support. But they may keep Galaxy S3 GT-I9305 as part of the future upgrade plans if the firmware is already been scheduled for development.
Right now, the official support page of Samsung U.S. still list both Galaxy S3 and Galaxy S3 Mini as part of Android KitKat update and users should wait till the company official confirms ineligibility.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Matmo Leaves 32k Customers w/o Electricity in Taiwan, Weakens After Landing in China
Join the Conversation
- Windows 9 Release Date on October 2014, Not April 2015; Three Reasons to Upgrade from Windows XP and 7
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 vs 4.7-Inch iPhone 6
- Windows 9 Release: Reasons of Free Download for Windows 8 and Windows 7 Customers
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date and Specs Speculations: Smartphone May Be Released in October or November 2014! – Report
- Windows Phone 8.1: Australia, Canada, New Zealand, U.S. and UK Status; How to Download and Install
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- HTC One E8 (Plastic Variant of HTC One M8) with 5-Inch Display, Dual-SIM, 801 Processor and 2 GB RAM to Hit New Markets Soon
- iPhone 6 Release Date in September 26 with Price Details and More Killer Features
- Apple iPad Mini Air: Three Fresh Features on the Smart Tablet to Wait for
- 4.7-Inch iPhone 6 Release Date is Sept 26 after iOS 8 GM Public Debut on Sept 17 – Reports