Samsung Galaxy S3 and Galaxy S3 Mini Android 4.4.2 KitKat Still Missing; Galaxy S3 Software Update Support Expires
By Ryan Inoyori | April 10, 2014 2:53 PM EST
Samsung Galaxy S3 is eligible to receive an official Android 4.4.2 KitKat according to early reports. However, March already passed by and Samsung Arabia has no idea regarding future updates. Will Galaxy S3 and Galaxy S3 Mini receive another major firmware update?
Galaxy S3 Android KitKat
According to the official software support page of Samsung U.S., Galaxy S3 remains eligible to get Android 4.4 KitKat update and it will receive several enhancements from the new firmware such as new Location Menu, Enhanced Messaging function and upgraded Google Mobile Service apps.
However, the Web site did not mention any details regarding the official release date or expected rollout timeframe. Also, there is no information which Galaxy S3 variant is eligible to receive another major update after Android 4.3 Jelly Bean.
Early reports claim that Galaxy S3 I9300 is not eligible anymore to receive Android KitKat while I9305 remains eligible. It is due to the minimum memory required to run the latest firmware by Samsung. GT-I9300 features 1 GB of RAM which is lower than the 2 GB sported by GT-I9305.
Samsung Arabia updated the Android 4.4 KitKat status for Galaxy S3 at their official Facebook account. A message thread originated from a Facebook user who posted inquiry back in March 11th which included the confirmation of Android KitKat update. Unfortunately, new comments flooded the inquiry regarding the official Android KitKat update including questions for Galaxy S3 Mini.
According to new replies of Samsung Arabia, there is no plan yet of any Android KitKat release for both Galaxy S3 and Galaxy S3 Mini. Samsung Arabia received no information regarding future plans for the two smartphones regarding a major update and simply advises consumers to be patient for any new updates.
Galaxy S3's "futureproof" trait finally gets a limit as the device begins to expire from any software update support.
Galaxy S3 GT-I9300 was released in May 2012 and already expired in November 2013 while GT-I9305 with 2 GB of RAM was released in September 2012 and just got its support expiration last month.
Samsung may remove Galaxy S3 GT-I9300 from the Android KitKat upgrade plans for two good reasons - hardware weakness and expiration of software support. But they may keep Galaxy S3 GT-I9305 as part of the future upgrade plans if the firmware is already been scheduled for development.
Right now, the official support page of Samsung U.S. still list both Galaxy S3 and Galaxy S3 Mini as part of Android KitKat update and users should wait till the company official confirms ineligibility.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Full List Of Winners, Miley Cyrus ‘Wrecking Ball’ Bags Video Of The Year [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton First Official Solo Trip: Details For Malta Tour Revealed [PHOTOS]
- Manny Pacquiao Vs. Chris Algieri World Tour Kick Off Press Conference In Macau [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
Join the Conversation
- ‘Dark Souls 2 Crown Of The Old Iron King’ DLC For PlayStation 3, XBox 360 And PC Released On Aug. 26, 2014 [WATCH VIDEO]
- Sony Xperia M2 vs. Nokia Lumia 1320 Specs And Price Comparison In Australia
- Update Samsung Galaxy Mega 6.3 I9205 To Official Android 4.4.2 KitKat XXUDNF2 Firmware
- ‘Super Smash Bros.’ Gets Massive Leak For Character Roster, Game Details And Sleep Mode
- Robin Williams to Be Honoured As A Character In 'World Of Warcraft: Warlords Of Draenor'
- Apple on iPhone 6 Release Date One Week After September 9 Despite Display Shortage Starting $800
- James Foley Video Had A Change Of Actor – Expert Points Out
- Canada Concerned About Russia’s Military Expansion in Arctic
- Nokia X2 vs. Nokia Lumia 530 - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Hundreds of Men Rape Teen for Three Years
- Nexus 6 Release Date Will Intro Android 5.0 aka Lemon Meringue Pie with Killer Specs & Features
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini vs. LG G3 S (aka LG G3 Beat, LG G3 Mini) – Specs, Features And Price Showdown