NBA Draft 2014: Kansas Center Joel Embiid Declares
By James Patrick Quizon | April 10, 2014 2:38 PM EST
Projected to be a Top 1-3 pick in the NBA Draft 2014 is good enough to convince Joel Embiid that the time to enter the pro league is this year.
“I just want to thank God for giving me this opportunity to come to the (United States) and play ball,” Embiid said in a press conference on Wednesday.
“I want to thank the coaching staff, my teammates, the fans—everyone that’s helped me through my journey. After thinking a lot, I’ve decided to declare for the NBA Draft.”
Embiid, another one-and-done prospect, played for the Kansas. Jayhawks in the 2013-2014 NCAA season when he averaged 11.2 points, 8.1 rebounds and 2.6 blocked shots in 23.1 minutes.
The center showed flashes of brilliance the entire year including logging 8 double-doubles for the season. The 7-foot-1 Embiid has a 240 pound frame and 7-foot-5 wingspan and appears to be NBA-ready according to most scouts.
Embiid grew up playing volleyball and soccer in central-western Africa of Cameroon and has only played three years of organized basketball since being introduced to the sport.
He's currently projected to go No. 1 in the 2014 NBA Draft but nothing is set in stone with the likes of Jabari Parker, Andrew Wiggins, Dante Exum and Julius Randle all on the board.
Coming out of college early could be a good idea for the 20-year-old who has had histories with injuries. He missed games starting early March due to a stress fracture in his lower back.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Kate Middleton's Pregnancy Hearsays: Possible Evidence Revealed [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Selena Gomez Turns 22 Today, Celebrates Early without Justin Bieber: Top 12 Interesting Facts About the Singer [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- No Kevin Love to Cleveland, Andrew Wiggins to Stay with Cavaliers
- Jeremy Lin Only an ‘Expiring Contract’ in Los Angeles; Lakers Want Eric Bledsoe
- Jeremy Lin Demands More Playing Time From Lakers Next Season
- $300 Million at Stake for Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao Showdown
- Roger Federer is ‘The Greatest of All Time' - Novak Djokovic’s Coach Boris Becker
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- End of Times Indicators: Japan’s Mount Fuji in ‘Critical State’ to Erupt, Could Affect At Least 1.2M People
- Raining Discounts: $100 Price Cut on Moto X; LG G3 Available for $100 On-Contract; Sony Xperia Z2 on Release Date Gets $50 Price Cut (U.S.)