Ultimate Warrior Death: Five Things You Don’t Know About the Wrestling Legend
By Rachelle Corpuz | April 10, 2014 2:25 PM EST
The death of Ultimate Warrior came as a surprise to many wrestling fans. It came only a day after Ultimate Warrior, whose name in real life is James Brian Hellwig, was inducted into the World Wrestling Entertainment (WWE) and following his appearance at the Wrestlemania XXX after an 18-year break. WWE made an official announcement on its official Web site. However, the cause of Ultimate Warrior's death was not yet revealed.
As wrestling fans, fellow wrestlers, and family member continue to pay tribute to Ultimate Warrior, let us discover five things that most people don't know about one of the greatest entertainers in WWE.
1. First WWE Appearance
Ultimate Warrior made his WWE Debut in 1987 against Terry Gibbs. He won the fight. WWE was then called World Wrestling Federation (WWF). Ultimate Warrior's first fight footage has apparently been around since 2007. However, the quality of the video is poor. It was in October 2013 when WWE released a high-definition version of Ultimate Warrior's WWE debut.
2. Changing Last Name to "Warrior"
According to Wrestleview.com, Hellwig has indeed legally changed his last name to his WWE moniker. Hellwig's decision to change last name was his attempt to keep his Ultimate Warrior gimmick, the Web site further wrote. It was made official in 1991 when he stepped away from WWE.
Ultimate Warrior and WWE got caught up in a series of lawsuits claiming that both of them owned the rights to the name.
3. A Motivational Speaker
When Ultimate Warrior retired from WWE in 1999, he became a motivational speaker at one point. He had reportedly partnered with Daniel Pinheiro, a conservative spokesman, disapproving left-wing politics.
4. Warrior University
In 2012, Ultimate Warrior opened an online school he called "Warrior University." For a $20 subscription fee, a user will gain access to motivational videos as well as other inspirational videos to boost and build self-confidence.
5. A Blogger
Ultimate Warrior used to maintain a blog on his official Web site where he wrote about a variety of topics such as his wrestling career, politics, nationalism, and sexuality among many others. He called his blog "Warrior's Machete." He started blogging in 2007 and wrote until 2012.
For anyone who is either in their late 20s or early 40s, Ultimate Warrior was probably a big part of their growing up. The speech he made during Monday Night's Raw left his fans a very powerful message: "No WWE talent becomes a legend on their own. Every man's heart one day beats its final beat, his lungs breathe their final breath and if what that man did in his life makes the blood pulse through the body of others and makes them believe deeper in something larger than life, then his essence, his spirit will be immortalized."
"The spirit of Ultimate Warrior will run forever," were his final words.
Sadly, it turned out that it would be the last time that Ultimate Warrior would be able to address his fans. May his soul rest in peace.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related