Texas Family Catches 'Chupacabra'—Is it Real?
By Sachin Trivedi | April 10, 2014 2:22 PM EST
A Texas family raised a few eyebrows recently when they claimed to have captured a "Chupacabra." Many people are quick to dismiss it while others believe it to be the legendary creature that people have been hunting for a long time.
According to legend, a Chupacabra is an animal with habits like a vampire. The animal is supposed to suck blood of livestock such as goats and chicken. Many people have gone looking for the elusive creature in the past and failed.
The Texas family in Dewitt County reportedly found the creature eating corn on their property. The dark and hairless creature looks more like a large dog and is believed to be a baby Chupacabra. It is currently being fed corn and cat food.
The pictures and video of the animal have gone viral with many people taking a keen interest in the animal. Many believe that the legendary creature has finally been captured while others still remain skeptical.
One of the reasons why people may call the captured creature as the Chupacabra is its dark complexion and hairless skin, which some people find scary. However, an animal expert, biologist Brent Ortego of Texas Parks and Wildlife, believe that the creature was likely a dog, fox or coyote and may be suffering from a bad case of mange.
Another reason people are calling the creature the Chupacabra is they don't know what else to call it. Just like other legendary creatures, claims of spotting the animal are routine with both the believers and skeptics debating over it.
Perhaps the best way to determine what species the captured animal belongs to would be a DNA test. In the past, many of the animals that were believed to be the Chupacabra turned out to be coyotes or dogs with mange, reports NY Daily News.
The debate is raging on social media like Twitter. The identity of the captured creature, which some believe to be a hairless raccoon because of its paws, is still not certain. But people are interested to know what the creature is, even those who don't believe it to be the Chupacabra.
Has the Chupacabra finally been captured? Or will this find turn out to be another disappointment for people who strongly believe in the existence of the creature? The hunt for the mythical creature, however, continues.
More Articles to Read
'Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles'—Do Fans Hate the New Look? [Read]
Missing Plane MH370: Malaysian Prime Minister Speaks to Tony Abbot [Read]
'Game of Thrones' Season 4 Episode 1 Recap and Spoilers [Read]
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ISIS War to Last For 4 Years; US Military Shows Videos of Airstrikes Hitting Militant Base [VIDEO]
- Australia's Chance Of El Niño Rises To 70%; Heatwaves And Drought To Persist
- Australia Joins Global Effort to Stop Russian Website From Illegally Streaming Web Cam Feeds
- Ebola Stock Companies Suspended From Trading For Unverifiable Claims
- Former Malaysian Envoy Denies Assault Charges in New Zealand, Elects Trial By Jury
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- Cold War 2: Russia, China And North Korea’s Blacklisted Company Fortify Alliance -- Reports