Pennsylvania High School Heinous Stabbing Showed Modern Heroism of Students, Alex Hribal, Suspect Comes From 'Nice Family'
By Annie Dee | April 10, 2014 1:49 PM EST
A mass stabbing incident that occurred inside Franklin Regional Senior High School in Murrysville, Pennsylvania on April 9, has shocked the community. At least 20 students were stabbed, around seven of whom sustained life-threatening injuries.
While the stabber was not immediately identified, it was later confirmed Alex Hribal, a 16-year-old sophomore, was the one who staged the heinous crime. Although a minor, he is currently charged as an adult for the gravity of his crime.
According to the CNN, the school is located 15 miles east of Downtown Pittsburgh. On Wednesday, April 9, news broke out that a male student went on a stabbing spree in the school, and attacked at least 20 teachers and students. Some of which garnered fatal wounds that required immediate attention. Four of them even have to be airlifted to a hospital for emergency surgery.
Hribal is now charged with 21 counts of aggravated assault, four counts of attempted suicide and one count of bringing weapon in a school property. The stab victims ranged from 15 to 60 years old. While their wounds all required immediate attention, the situation could have been worse without the help of other students.
Students as Modern Heroes
According to news reports, other students can be considered modern heroes for their heroic actions in helping the stab victims. Doctors who handled the emergency care of the victims said the first aid administered by the students, who applied pressure on the wounds to stop blood loss until help came improved the situation significantly. They added the situation could have been more serious without this.
One student's brave act also saved the day or at least prevented more students and teachers becoming fatally wounded.
Ian Griffith, the heroic student, told WPXI, "I was in the school, and I came down the stairs, and I saw the kid. Mr. (Sam) King was yelling at him, and I didn't know why. I saw him stab Sarge, the officer. We both jumped on top of him (suspect) and immobilized him."
With timely action, the school has been secured and the local police released students to their worried parents. Franklin Regional released an official update on their web site, which reads, "A critical incident has occurred at the high school. All elementary schools are cancelled, the middle school and high school students are secure. Additional information will be released as soon as possible. Please keep our campus clear of traffic."
Who is Alex Hribal?
According to Heavy.com, Hribal comes from a good family who is somewhat nerdy and shy.
"I don't know him really well, but he's always said 'hi'," neighbor Lori Renda, 47, who said he played with her own children. "The family is so nice. Very, very nice."
Nobody could have expected him to do this even though the local police has now pegged him as somehow who could be undergoing depression.
His social media accounts showed his adoration for bothering figures, such as Kurt Cobain and Hitler.
While these are not enough to say he has a violent streak, his actions already proved that you can never judge a book by its cover.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- Racist Note Stereotyping Asian Drivers Left on Parked Car in NSW Sparks Online Outrage
- Prince Harry Reunites With Cressida Bonas On ‘Sex Tape’ Date Amid Dating Camilla Thurlow Reports
- New Zealand Election Countdown: Final Campaign Week Marred With More Controversial 'Revelations'
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- Modern Forensic Science Reveals Evidence Of Brutal Killing Of King Richard III
- Google Release Roundup: New Nexus 6, Nexus 8, Android 5.0 L Launch and Killer Features
- Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia ZR Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide
- 'ISIL Has To Be Defeated, Plain And Simple, End Of Story,' Sen. John Kerry
- New Samsung Galaxy S5 Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Released, Verizon Guide and Installation