Champions League Quarterfinals: Atletico Madrid vs Barcelona Highlights
By Deepak Vikraman | April 10, 2014 1:40 PM EST
Atletico Madrid stunned one of the favourites for the Champions League - Barcelona - as Diego Simeone's men's magical season showed no signs of abating.
Going into the second leg at a buzzing Vicente Calderon tied at 1-1, Atletico scored the only goal of the game, via Koke, in the fifth minute, with an opening 20-minute blitz completely catching the seasoned Barca off guard.
Atletico could have killed off the tie early in the first half, with the home side striking the woodwork a couple of times in a brilliant spell, as Barcelona failed to find any of their own attacking touch, with their talisman Lionel Messi having a rather forgettable game.
"There's a lot of joy at having got through a tie against great rivals who have a proud history," Simeone said after clinching his side's first semifinal in Europe's elite competition for 40 years. "Now we are calm because we know this isn't the end.
"The first 20 minutes were very good in terms of our attitude, intensity and play. Then Barca began to get into the game and had some opportunities, so things became trickier for us.
"My players don't need words to motivate them - they need security, decisiveness and the ability to try and get the best out of them all. I admire these players. I admire their dedication and the way they work together as a team."
Barcelona now face a real prospect of going through the season without a trophy, as Atletico, if they win their remaining games in the La Liga, can clinch the title, while a stiff test against rivals Real Madrid await in the Copa Del Rey final.
"Results happen for a reason," Barcelona manager Gerardo Martino said. "When Atletico were the better side, they scored their goal. We also had opportunities and just one goal from us would have changed the course of the game.
"At certain points, we couldn't do the things [we wanted] because of how our opponents played. Atletico kept a lot of players near their penalty area -- they did that very well and that made it hard for us to find any space."
Watch the short highlights of the Champions League quarterfinal second leg match between Atletico Madrid and Barcelona HERE.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Manny Pacquiao Vs. Chris Algieri World Tour Kick Off Press Conference In Macau [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Floyd Mayweather Proves He Can Read, Releases An Audio Of Him Reading
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Group A Preview, Prediction, Roster, Schedule: Spain and Brazil To Clinch Top 2 Spots, France, Serbia, And Iran To Battle For Remaining Slots
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Team Preview: Puerto Rico Roster, Key Players And Schedule
- Kevin Love Tells Minnesota Timberwolves Owner Glen Taylor To Mind His Own Team
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Confirmed as Apple Sets Sept 9 iWatch, 2 iPhones Intro - Report
- iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 4.7-Inch Model Scores 65.8% In Screen-To-Size Ratio; A Surprise Entry Scales Top Spot [List Attached]
- Product Recall Alert: Hewlett-Packard Pulls Out 6M Power Cords from US, Canada Over Fire Hazard Concerns, Australia Also Affected
- ISIS Wants $6.6M and Release of Aafia Siddiqui in Exchange of Head of Female US Humanitarian Aid Worker, 1st American Fighting for Jihadis Dead
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps
- Ukraine Ceasefire Looks Remote As Putin Talks Tough At Meeting With Poroshenko
- Google Nexus 6 Release May Be the New Google Nexus X Smartphone as New Details Emerge