Champions League Quarterfinals: Atletico Madrid vs Barcelona Highlights
By Deepak Vikraman | April 10, 2014 1:40 PM EST
Atletico Madrid stunned one of the favourites for the Champions League - Barcelona - as Diego Simeone's men's magical season showed no signs of abating.
Going into the second leg at a buzzing Vicente Calderon tied at 1-1, Atletico scored the only goal of the game, via Koke, in the fifth minute, with an opening 20-minute blitz completely catching the seasoned Barca off guard.
Atletico could have killed off the tie early in the first half, with the home side striking the woodwork a couple of times in a brilliant spell, as Barcelona failed to find any of their own attacking touch, with their talisman Lionel Messi having a rather forgettable game.
"There's a lot of joy at having got through a tie against great rivals who have a proud history," Simeone said after clinching his side's first semifinal in Europe's elite competition for 40 years. "Now we are calm because we know this isn't the end.
"The first 20 minutes were very good in terms of our attitude, intensity and play. Then Barca began to get into the game and had some opportunities, so things became trickier for us.
"My players don't need words to motivate them - they need security, decisiveness and the ability to try and get the best out of them all. I admire these players. I admire their dedication and the way they work together as a team."
Barcelona now face a real prospect of going through the season without a trophy, as Atletico, if they win their remaining games in the La Liga, can clinch the title, while a stiff test against rivals Real Madrid await in the Copa Del Rey final.
"Results happen for a reason," Barcelona manager Gerardo Martino said. "When Atletico were the better side, they scored their goal. We also had opportunities and just one goal from us would have changed the course of the game.
"At certain points, we couldn't do the things [we wanted] because of how our opponents played. Atletico kept a lot of players near their penalty area -- they did that very well and that made it hard for us to find any space."
Watch the short highlights of the Champions League quarterfinal second leg match between Atletico Madrid and Barcelona HERE.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Begins Training Sans Freddie Roach
- Rafael Nadal’s Coach Reveals The Spanish Athlete Will Be Back On Court Soon
- Boxing News 2014: Showtime VP Favours Pacquiao As Mayweather’s Next Ring Opponent; Money May Insists Fight Should Be Over Showtime PPV Only
- Three Reasons Why Brock Lesnar Must Fight The Undertaker At Night Of Champions And Not John Cena [VIDEO]
- Michael Schumacher Rehabilitation Update: F1 Champion In-Home Health Care And Services Consist Of 15 Medical Staff
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Canadian IS Jihadist Who Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers