Champions League Quarterfinal Second Leg: Bayern Munich vs Manchester United Highlights
By Deepak Vikraman | April 10, 2014 1:21 PM EST
Manchester United gave title holders Bayern Munich a real scare, before the Germans found their mojo yet again to pull off a come-from-behind 3-1 victory which saw them through to the semifinals of the Champions League 4-2 on aggregate.
Bayern were in real trouble of being dumped out by United when Patrice Evra scored for the away side in the 57th minute. However, Mario Mandzukic answered back immediately for Bayern, equalling the tie on the day and on aggregate, before Thomas Muller, in the 67th minute, and Arjen Robben, nine minutes later, put the game to bed.
"When you are a schoolboy you get told make sure when you score you don't concede straight away, we conceded too quickly," United manager David Moyes said. "It was always going to be a tough night and once we got the first goal we had to give ourselves five or ten minutes where we could stop them getting the ball but from the kick-off they went up the pitch and scored.
"I don't know whether it was a bit of concentration, thrilled we got the goal but we have got enough experience on the pitch where we should have done it - but they didn't do an awful lot wrong tonight, I thought the players played over so well and I was pleased with the performance and just a couple of small errors that cost us in the end.
"I never thought we were out the game, I always thought we were in with a chance and at 2-1 we needed just to get that goal to get back to 2-2, but that third goal killed us, and I thought that was a bit of bad luck."
Bayern manager Pep Guardiola, who was rather frustrated after the first leg result at Old Trafford, which finished 1-1, and would have been fearing the worst a few minutes into the second half, was a relieved man after seeing his side fight back with great effect against a determined United side.
"The game was very similar to the first leg in Manchester," Guardiola said after the win on Wednesday night. "Arjen and Franck [Ribery] were fantastic in the second half today. We tried to play in between the lines with Thomas constantly on the move.
"But it is never easy against an English team. They play solid and quick counterattacking football and offer very little space to play into. Evra scored a great goal for the opener, but we responded immediately. I am very, very proud of my team."
Watch the short highlights of the Bayern Munich vs Manchester United Champions League quarterfinal second leg match HERE.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
- Kate Middleton & Prince William Taking a Time Off in August Amidst Miscarriage & Adopting a Child Claims
- Kate Middleton & Prince William Vacation Plans: Visit Prince Charles & Camilla Parker-Bowles
Join the Conversation
- Roger Federer Tasks Engineers to Create the Perfect Tennis Racquet [VIDEO]
- LeBron James and Cleveland Cavaliers the Team to Beat in the East – Paul George
- Roger Federer Forced to Take Down Children's Play Area on his Property in Valbella
- Chelsea FC Transfer News: Renewed Hope for Blues, as Paul Pogba's Agent Revealed that 'Anything is Possible'
- UFC 183: Anderson Silva vs. Nick Diaz Receives Mixed Reactions on Twitter
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 6 Most Wanted Feature Upgrades for Next iPhone
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- HTC One M8 Windows Phone to Launch for Verizon; Release Date, Price, Five Fresh Features to Anticipate for New Smartphone
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff
- Galaxy Note 4 Release Date Ahead of iPhone 6 Sept 2014 Debut; Specced-Up but Remains Plastic-Wrapped – Reports
- LG G2 Android 4.4.4 KitKat Guide: When to Hit Your Region and How to Install