Champions League Quarterfinal Second Leg: Bayern Munich vs Manchester United Highlights
By Deepak Vikraman | April 10, 2014 1:21 PM EST
Manchester United gave title holders Bayern Munich a real scare, before the Germans found their mojo yet again to pull off a come-from-behind 3-1 victory which saw them through to the semifinals of the Champions League 4-2 on aggregate.
Bayern were in real trouble of being dumped out by United when Patrice Evra scored for the away side in the 57th minute. However, Mario Mandzukic answered back immediately for Bayern, equalling the tie on the day and on aggregate, before Thomas Muller, in the 67th minute, and Arjen Robben, nine minutes later, put the game to bed.
"When you are a schoolboy you get told make sure when you score you don't concede straight away, we conceded too quickly," United manager David Moyes said. "It was always going to be a tough night and once we got the first goal we had to give ourselves five or ten minutes where we could stop them getting the ball but from the kick-off they went up the pitch and scored.
"I don't know whether it was a bit of concentration, thrilled we got the goal but we have got enough experience on the pitch where we should have done it - but they didn't do an awful lot wrong tonight, I thought the players played over so well and I was pleased with the performance and just a couple of small errors that cost us in the end.
"I never thought we were out the game, I always thought we were in with a chance and at 2-1 we needed just to get that goal to get back to 2-2, but that third goal killed us, and I thought that was a bit of bad luck."
Bayern manager Pep Guardiola, who was rather frustrated after the first leg result at Old Trafford, which finished 1-1, and would have been fearing the worst a few minutes into the second half, was a relieved man after seeing his side fight back with great effect against a determined United side.
"The game was very similar to the first leg in Manchester," Guardiola said after the win on Wednesday night. "Arjen and Franck [Ribery] were fantastic in the second half today. We tried to play in between the lines with Thomas constantly on the move.
"But it is never easy against an English team. They play solid and quick counterattacking football and offer very little space to play into. Evra scored a great goal for the opener, but we responded immediately. I am very, very proud of my team."
Watch the short highlights of the Bayern Munich vs Manchester United Champions League quarterfinal second leg match HERE.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Transfer News: Real Madrid Unveil Galactico James Rodriguez [PHOTOS]
- Roger Federer Regains Deadly Service Game - Andy Roddick
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Lionel Messi's Gunners Link a Ploy to Receive Improved Deal
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon