Champions League Quarterfinal Second Leg: Bayern Munich vs Manchester United Highlights
By Deepak Vikraman | April 10, 2014 1:21 PM EST
Manchester United gave title holders Bayern Munich a real scare, before the Germans found their mojo yet again to pull off a come-from-behind 3-1 victory which saw them through to the semifinals of the Champions League 4-2 on aggregate.
Bayern were in real trouble of being dumped out by United when Patrice Evra scored for the away side in the 57th minute. However, Mario Mandzukic answered back immediately for Bayern, equalling the tie on the day and on aggregate, before Thomas Muller, in the 67th minute, and Arjen Robben, nine minutes later, put the game to bed.
"When you are a schoolboy you get told make sure when you score you don't concede straight away, we conceded too quickly," United manager David Moyes said. "It was always going to be a tough night and once we got the first goal we had to give ourselves five or ten minutes where we could stop them getting the ball but from the kick-off they went up the pitch and scored.
"I don't know whether it was a bit of concentration, thrilled we got the goal but we have got enough experience on the pitch where we should have done it - but they didn't do an awful lot wrong tonight, I thought the players played over so well and I was pleased with the performance and just a couple of small errors that cost us in the end.
"I never thought we were out the game, I always thought we were in with a chance and at 2-1 we needed just to get that goal to get back to 2-2, but that third goal killed us, and I thought that was a bit of bad luck."
Bayern manager Pep Guardiola, who was rather frustrated after the first leg result at Old Trafford, which finished 1-1, and would have been fearing the worst a few minutes into the second half, was a relieved man after seeing his side fight back with great effect against a determined United side.
"The game was very similar to the first leg in Manchester," Guardiola said after the win on Wednesday night. "Arjen and Franck [Ribery] were fantastic in the second half today. We tried to play in between the lines with Thomas constantly on the move.
"But it is never easy against an English team. They play solid and quick counterattacking football and offer very little space to play into. Evra scored a great goal for the opener, but we responded immediately. I am very, very proud of my team."
Watch the short highlights of the Bayern Munich vs Manchester United Champions League quarterfinal second leg match HERE.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ‘Floyd Rhymes With Avoid,’ Says Manny Pacquiao
- Manny Pacquiao Calls Out On Floyd Mayweather Jr. Again After Unbeaten Boxer Mocks Him With His KO Video
- NFL Thanksgiving Games: Chicago Vs. Detroit, Philadelphia Vs. Dallas, And Seattle Vs. San Francisco Live Streaming Info and Preview
- Phil Hughes No More: Australian Batsman Dies at 25
- 2014 NFL Thanksgiving Games Results: Detroit Lions, Philadelphia Eagles, Seattle Seahawks Notch All-Important Wins With Major Postseason Implications
- Revealed: Vladimir Putin Plotting To Invade Europe – Report
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- Bill Clinton At It Again, Caught By Camera In Jerusalem Peeking At Woman’s Breast