'Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel': It’s Real and It’s Coming—What You Need to Know
By Gel Galang | April 10, 2014 1:00 PM EST
The "Borderlands" franchise lives on—and even though some may have been disappointed by the previous announcement that "Borderlands 3" is far from being conceived, there's actually a good reason: "Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel" was the one heading next for consoles.
In a very tongue-in-cheek move, whether deliberate or just done right, Gearbox Software's previous statement on the lack of development for the follow-up to hit "Borderlands "2 proved right and wrong at the same time, as 2K announced its newest installment for the "Borderlands" franchise.
This became official after exclusive information was previously leaked, one that seemed ridiculous but also fitting in the "Borderlands" tradition, as the next setting is said to be in the moon.
The PlayStation Blog has already announced that it is coming to the PS3 (as well as the Xbox 360 and PC) and has gotten official details and information about the game through 2K.
Handsome Jack, the Moon and Cryo Weapons
"Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel" sees Handsome Jack returning with new playable characters and landing on Elpis, which is Pandora's moon. It's set between "Borderlands" and "Borderlands 2" and will allow gamers to play on as one of the four new characters together with Handsome Jack.
Being a Pre-Sequel, expect the characters to be in a state before their awesomeness in "Borderlands 2"—so Handsome Jack will be before his tyrannical self in "Borderlands 2." The four characters, mentioned in the previous leak, are Athena the Gladiator, Wilhelm the Enforcer, Nisha the Lawbringer and Claptrap the Fragtrap.
Aside from playing new characters, gamers will also be facing new enemies, including Scavengers and Lunatics as well as different gravity and lack of oxygen on the moon. This means fun moves on the surface of the moon, elemental damage and oxygen as a lootable resource.
As for weapons, it will continue the "Borderlands" tradition of blazing weapons with the added factor of lasers and "Ghostbuster-like" shooters. Cryo weapons will also be a go for "Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel," so players can freeze enemies and combine it with lasers for an all-new elemental effect.
Sadly, any character and saves from "Borderlands" or "Borderlands 2" cannot be carried over to "Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel," according to IGN. But still, it's worth waiting for and playing with gamers' last-gen consoles once more when the game releases on the fall this year.
Landing on Last-Gen Only: Here's Why
For those already playing on the next-gen consoles PS4 or Xbox One, it may be time to take a step back towards last-gen consoles or just stick with PC, as those will be the only platforms that the game will debut on.
Quoting a previous interview with Gearbox CEO Randy Pitchford, VG 24/7 reports that the decision to stick with last-gen and PC is the install base that already exists in them.
"I don't think I would have to stretch far to suggest there's probably a lot of demand for more Borderlands. That demand lives on the Xbox 360, PS3 and PC," said Pitchford in an interview quoted by VG 24/7. "We don't know to what extent it'll live on the next-gen. I imagine over time—maybe by the time we get to the third or fourth Christmas—there will be enough of an install base," he added.
This may also be the time when "Borderlands 3," the planned bigger kind of world for "Borderlands," would come to fruition, as Gearbox may then both be able to explore the powers of next-gen consoles and have the kind of install base they are looking for.
Read more gaming and tech news:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Xbox’s September Games with Gold Features Halo Reach As Halo 5: Guardians And Master Chief Collection Get Details
- ‘Minecraft Xbox One Edition’ Updates From Devs Plus More On Minecraft On The Xbox Platform
- ‘Assassin’s Creed Unity’ Delayed To November As ‘Rogue’ Gets More Story Details
- ‘GTA 5’ Online Updates Radio For PS4, Xbox One As Rockstar Brings Allies For New Sale
- Sony Xperia Z3 Five Things Unveiled: 2 Metres Water-Resistance, Sprint US, Specifications, LTE Certification, Sports Sensor
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen