'Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel': It’s Real and It’s Coming—What You Need to Know
By Gel Galang | April 10, 2014 1:00 PM EST
The "Borderlands" franchise lives on—and even though some may have been disappointed by the previous announcement that "Borderlands 3" is far from being conceived, there's actually a good reason: "Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel" was the one heading next for consoles.
In a very tongue-in-cheek move, whether deliberate or just done right, Gearbox Software's previous statement on the lack of development for the follow-up to hit "Borderlands "2 proved right and wrong at the same time, as 2K announced its newest installment for the "Borderlands" franchise.
This became official after exclusive information was previously leaked, one that seemed ridiculous but also fitting in the "Borderlands" tradition, as the next setting is said to be in the moon.
The PlayStation Blog has already announced that it is coming to the PS3 (as well as the Xbox 360 and PC) and has gotten official details and information about the game through 2K.
Handsome Jack, the Moon and Cryo Weapons
"Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel" sees Handsome Jack returning with new playable characters and landing on Elpis, which is Pandora's moon. It's set between "Borderlands" and "Borderlands 2" and will allow gamers to play on as one of the four new characters together with Handsome Jack.
Being a Pre-Sequel, expect the characters to be in a state before their awesomeness in "Borderlands 2"—so Handsome Jack will be before his tyrannical self in "Borderlands 2." The four characters, mentioned in the previous leak, are Athena the Gladiator, Wilhelm the Enforcer, Nisha the Lawbringer and Claptrap the Fragtrap.
Aside from playing new characters, gamers will also be facing new enemies, including Scavengers and Lunatics as well as different gravity and lack of oxygen on the moon. This means fun moves on the surface of the moon, elemental damage and oxygen as a lootable resource.
As for weapons, it will continue the "Borderlands" tradition of blazing weapons with the added factor of lasers and "Ghostbuster-like" shooters. Cryo weapons will also be a go for "Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel," so players can freeze enemies and combine it with lasers for an all-new elemental effect.
Sadly, any character and saves from "Borderlands" or "Borderlands 2" cannot be carried over to "Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel," according to IGN. But still, it's worth waiting for and playing with gamers' last-gen consoles once more when the game releases on the fall this year.
Landing on Last-Gen Only: Here's Why
For those already playing on the next-gen consoles PS4 or Xbox One, it may be time to take a step back towards last-gen consoles or just stick with PC, as those will be the only platforms that the game will debut on.
Quoting a previous interview with Gearbox CEO Randy Pitchford, VG 24/7 reports that the decision to stick with last-gen and PC is the install base that already exists in them.
"I don't think I would have to stretch far to suggest there's probably a lot of demand for more Borderlands. That demand lives on the Xbox 360, PS3 and PC," said Pitchford in an interview quoted by VG 24/7. "We don't know to what extent it'll live on the next-gen. I imagine over time—maybe by the time we get to the third or fourth Christmas—there will be enough of an install base," he added.
This may also be the time when "Borderlands 3," the planned bigger kind of world for "Borderlands," would come to fruition, as Gearbox may then both be able to explore the powers of next-gen consoles and have the kind of install base they are looking for.
Read more gaming and tech news:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Facebook To Charge Users Of $2.99 Monthly Fee On November 1; Best Free Alternatives For Facebook
- 'Dragon Age Inquisition' What Players Can Expect Before November 18 Release Date
- 'World Of Warcraft Warlords Of Draenor' Spoilers: 'WoD' In-Game Cinematics Revealed, Plus There's A Brewfest For The Horde And Alliance Players [WATCH VIDEOS]
- Microsoft Promises A Better ‘Minecraft,’ Game To Come to Windows Phone
- The Pirate Bay Operations: 21 Virtual Machines Are Used To Run The File-sharing Website
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- Microsoft Doubles OneDrive Space To 30GB Due To iOS 8 Update Issues
- U.S and Canada Fighter Jets Chase Out Russian Jets Near Alaska: Air Space Violation Not Confirmed
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?