'Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel': It’s Real and It’s Coming—What You Need to Know
By Gel Galang | April 10, 2014 1:00 PM EST
The "Borderlands" franchise lives on—and even though some may have been disappointed by the previous announcement that "Borderlands 3" is far from being conceived, there's actually a good reason: "Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel" was the one heading next for consoles.
In a very tongue-in-cheek move, whether deliberate or just done right, Gearbox Software's previous statement on the lack of development for the follow-up to hit "Borderlands "2 proved right and wrong at the same time, as 2K announced its newest installment for the "Borderlands" franchise.
This became official after exclusive information was previously leaked, one that seemed ridiculous but also fitting in the "Borderlands" tradition, as the next setting is said to be in the moon.
The PlayStation Blog has already announced that it is coming to the PS3 (as well as the Xbox 360 and PC) and has gotten official details and information about the game through 2K.
Handsome Jack, the Moon and Cryo Weapons
"Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel" sees Handsome Jack returning with new playable characters and landing on Elpis, which is Pandora's moon. It's set between "Borderlands" and "Borderlands 2" and will allow gamers to play on as one of the four new characters together with Handsome Jack.
Being a Pre-Sequel, expect the characters to be in a state before their awesomeness in "Borderlands 2"—so Handsome Jack will be before his tyrannical self in "Borderlands 2." The four characters, mentioned in the previous leak, are Athena the Gladiator, Wilhelm the Enforcer, Nisha the Lawbringer and Claptrap the Fragtrap.
Aside from playing new characters, gamers will also be facing new enemies, including Scavengers and Lunatics as well as different gravity and lack of oxygen on the moon. This means fun moves on the surface of the moon, elemental damage and oxygen as a lootable resource.
As for weapons, it will continue the "Borderlands" tradition of blazing weapons with the added factor of lasers and "Ghostbuster-like" shooters. Cryo weapons will also be a go for "Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel," so players can freeze enemies and combine it with lasers for an all-new elemental effect.
Sadly, any character and saves from "Borderlands" or "Borderlands 2" cannot be carried over to "Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel," according to IGN. But still, it's worth waiting for and playing with gamers' last-gen consoles once more when the game releases on the fall this year.
Landing on Last-Gen Only: Here's Why
For those already playing on the next-gen consoles PS4 or Xbox One, it may be time to take a step back towards last-gen consoles or just stick with PC, as those will be the only platforms that the game will debut on.
Quoting a previous interview with Gearbox CEO Randy Pitchford, VG 24/7 reports that the decision to stick with last-gen and PC is the install base that already exists in them.
"I don't think I would have to stretch far to suggest there's probably a lot of demand for more Borderlands. That demand lives on the Xbox 360, PS3 and PC," said Pitchford in an interview quoted by VG 24/7. "We don't know to what extent it'll live on the next-gen. I imagine over time—maybe by the time we get to the third or fourth Christmas—there will be enough of an install base," he added.
This may also be the time when "Borderlands 3," the planned bigger kind of world for "Borderlands," would come to fruition, as Gearbox may then both be able to explore the powers of next-gen consoles and have the kind of install base they are looking for.
Read more gaming and tech news:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Matmo Leaves 32k Customers w/o Electricity in Taiwan, Weakens After Landing in China
Join the Conversation
- Windows 9 Release Date on October 2014, Not April 2015; Three Reasons to Upgrade from Windows XP and 7
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 vs 4.7-Inch iPhone 6
- Upcoming Games For Xbox One 2014
- Samsung Galaxy Note 3 vs. Sony Xperia C3: Features, Specs and Performance Compared
- Windows 9 Release: Reasons of Free Download for Windows 8 and Windows 7 Customers
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales