Xbox One Kinect: Still an Accessory, Not a Necessity?
By Gel Galang | April 10, 2014 12:24 PM EST
The Xbox One exclusive "Kinect Sports Rivals" has just celebrated its release date recently, and it seems that Microsoft is very enthusiastic about the game.
Over at the Xbox Newswire, the staff has even enumerated the ways by which gamers can enjoy the new game via their Xbox One. There's the ability to create a customisable Champion in their likeness via digital scanning and rebuilding of their own face.
Gamers can also enjoy sabotaging other gamers' experience in "Kinect Sports Rivals"—that is, players can actually meddle with their game so they can stay ahead. There are also power-ups per sport, which players can earn for better abilities and establish themselves to be the "Kinect Sports Rivals" Champion. There's also a "Kinect Sports Rivals" Hub where players can keep track of where they are in the road to becoming the said Champion.
Sadly, not everyone sees the Xbox One's Kinect as the necessary tool to make Microsoft's next-gen console an even better experience. One of these people is Peter Molyneux.
Why the Kinect May Not Be Everyone's Favourite
In an interview with Forbes, he states that he can't find the use for the Kinect and could do away with it.
"It feels like an unnecessary add-on to me... My son and I sit there saying random things at it, and it doesn't work," he said in the interview. "They could cost-reduce it [by removing Kinect]. I'm sure they're going to release an Xbox One without Kinect. It would be unthinkable that they wouldn't," he added.
This has been the talk as far back as the unveiling of the Xbox One, especially since the price difference of $100 against the PS4 was still being highlighted back then. Of course, there have been price cuts with retailers and some territories, but the majority of the Xbox One's markets may still feel the burden of the "added expense."
Microsoft's Stance: It's Part of Xbox One
But at Microsoft headquarters, the report also states that Phil Spencer, new head of Xbox, claims that the idea of dropping Kinect is not urgent, since most Xbox fans are not clamoring for it. This may be related to how the shift in management has also put into focus games as the priority for the console.
Perhaps what this just goes to show is that the issue with the Kinect and the Xbox One will continue so long as the price difference is felt. Unless the Xbox One does a mandatory price cut, there will be people commenting on the Kinect being more of an accessory than a necessity.
Read more gaming and tech news:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- ‘Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire’ Confirmed With Demo, More Info Revealed
- Android L 5.0 Eligible And Ineligible Devices: Nexus Gadgets, Google Play Edition And Android One
- 'Dragon Age Inquisition': Three Classes Confirmed—Warrior, Mage And Rogue Abilities Exposed
- Know More About ‘Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire’ Team Aqua And Magma, Pokemon Bank and Global Link
- 'The Sims 4' Disappointing In-Game Factors And Pixelated Downloadable Pirated Copies
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- iPhone 6 Plus vs Xiaomi Mi4 – The iPhone Killer Certainly Can Battle Well With The New Apple Phablet
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MF 370: Indonesian Police Chief Claims He Knows What Happened To Missing Jet