Cyclone Ita Update: Evacuations Underway, Could Further Strengthen to Category 5
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | April 10, 2014 12:07 PM EST
Evacuations have now started in far north Queensland after weather forecasters warned tropical Cyclone Ita has the potential to strengthen further to Category 5 system.
As of 10am on Thursday, Cyclone Ita's wind gusts have reached 220km/hr. And it has yet to hit land. Ita is still over the Coral Sea as a category three, yet it's already beating down the north Queensland coast at 14km/hr.
REUTERS/Australian Defence For
Locals look at a bridge that was destroyed as a result of severe flooding near the capital Honiara in the Solomon Islands in this handout picture released by the Australian Defence Force on April 9, 2014. At least 23 people were killed and tens of thousands left homeless in flash flooding in the Solomon Islands on Friday according to local media and aid agencies operating in the Pacific nation. REUTERS/Australian Defence Force/Handout via Reuters
The Joint Typhoon Warning Center (JTWC) said Ita is generating 25-foot/7.6 -metre high waves in the Coral Sea.
"It is expected to still make impact as a high category four system so it's getting up to the very top of the possible strengths," Peter Otto, Bureau of Meteorology forecaster, told ABC radio.
"It is, in fact, possible to even make impact as a category five."
Cyclone Ita is expected to make landfall between Lockhart River and Cape Flattery late on Friday.
Its current gale force winds of 100km/hr might stretch to 300km inland, Pradeep Singh, Weather Bureau forecaster, said, noting massive flooding to predicted affected areas.
"It's fairly intense, it'll take a while to lose the vortex,'' he said. "Because there will be no dry air or wind shear getting into the system, we expect it to hang around for a while.''
The AAP reported a watch has been declared for areas up to 200km inland, including Kalinga, Laura, Palmerville and Chillagoe. Fifty mine workers have already abandoned the Cape Flattery Silica Mine, north of Cooktown. Guests at Lizard Island resort have likewise been evacuated.
Wayne Coutts, regional director of Queensland's State Emergency Service, urged residents north of Cairns to move out of their homes as soon as possible and seek shelter somewhere further inland or on higher ground.
He also listed down the following precautions:
- Turn off all electricity, gas and water and unplug all appliances;
- Bring the family to the strongest part of the house and ensure emergency kit is close by;
- If the building you're sheltering in begins to break up, immediately seek shelter under a strong table or bench or under a heavy mattress;
- Stay inside until you have received official advice that the cyclone has passed
"Some people are not aware of the calm eye of the cyclone and mistakenly venture outside thinking the threat has passed.''
Energy Minister Mark McArdle advised people to prepare to face power outages for a month or longer.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Real Life ‘Frozen’: Snow Overwhelms The US, Kills 7; More To Come (Pictures)
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt in Sydney for ‘Unbroken’ Red Carpet Premiere [PHOTOS]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
- G20 Summit Awkward Moments: Putin Yawns, Mystery Bubbles Appear, F18 Drama Ensues
Join the Conversation
- Mars Unusual Feature: Alien Skull Buried In Martian Sand
- Seals In Antarctica Are Sexually Assaulting King Penguins
- Accidental Electrocution Makes 12-Year-Old Russian Boy ‘Magnetic’ Similar To X-Men Character
- Kid Discovers 100-million-year-old Marine Reptile Fossil
- Stephen Hawking's Facebook Posts Tell You How The Cosmologist Reacts To 'Theory Of Everything' And 'Interstellar'
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- Nexus 6 Release Date And Price Under AT&T, T-Mobile And Sprint Listed
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Cold War 2: Russia, China And North Korea’s Blacklisted Company Fortify Alliance -- Reports