Samsung News: 10.5-inch Tablet to Feature 2K Display, Gear 2’s Easy Fix Structure and Gear Fit Gets Updated
By Gel Galang | April 10, 2014 11:54 AM EST
Samsung's latest figures have been released, and it seems that the Korean company is experiencing its second straight drop in quarterly profits. A dip from 8.8 trillion won to 8.4 trillion won was reported by Bloomberg, which supposedly came with the stalled demands, lowered prices of Galaxy handsets and the ever-growing competition.
The report also states that compared to previous Samsung Galaxy devices, the Galaxy S5 has enjoyed weaker significance in the market, particularly because of the oversaturation and crowding in the industry.
However, it seems that one of Samsung's ways to deal with the situation is to continue to diversify its lineup of devices to hit a bigger segment of the overall market.
Mobile & Apps has reported on a new tablet with a large enough screen--larger by a bit compared to Samsung's current 10.1-inch tablet--that has 2K Super AMOLED display. This means a resolution of up to 2,560x1,600 pixels, and the newest model name to surface is SM-T800.
According to the report, some of the specs of the upcoming SM-T800 includes wi-fi only connectivity, the Android 4.4.2 Kitkat with new features, an unspecified quad-core Qualcomm Snapdragon processor, 2GB of RAM and the usual offers for the internal storage. There are cameras, an 8-megapixel rear and a 2-megapixel front camera, and a 7900 mAh battery.
There are other spotted variations, the SM-T801 and SM-T805, which is assumed to be other variants, for HSPA+ and LTE.
Indeed, this is a good improvement to Samsung's tablet, but, for the moment, Samsung has yet to announce if the devices are coming out.
Gear Fit gets a mode update
Samsung's smartwatch accessory, the Gear Fit, is getting a revamp on its UI orientation with a new software update.
Phone Arena reports that the Portrait mode will be introduced even before the Samsung Gear Fit goes on sale come April 11. Previously during demos for the Gear Fit, it was notable that the UI can only be viewed on sideways mode. But given that the wearable device is viewed vertically on the wrist, this will make viewing information hard and unnatural.
The immediate fix is appreciated, and the Portrait Mode will apparently be an available option can already be chosen once you get the device.
Samsung Gear 2: An easy fix
When it comes to repairing the Gear 2, those who are planning to buy can rest assured that, yes, it's really easy to do so. The Gear is 2 is the latest Samsung device to undergo a teardown with iFixit and had been ranked 8 out of 10 in terms of reparability.
CNet reports that you can remove almost all the parts, save the display, which has already been glued to the front of the Gear 2. Even the wristband and battery are removable and thus replaceable.
The other smartwatch that iFixit has managed to expose via teardowns is Pebble, which has shown that it is impossible to repair without compromising some functions and has an inaccessible battery for replacement.
Read more tech and gaming news:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Windows 9 Release Date on October 2014, Not April 2015; Three Reasons to Upgrade from Windows XP and 7
- Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire New Pokemons Spotted and More Gym Leaders Introduced
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 vs 4.7-Inch iPhone 6
- Upcoming Games For Xbox One 2014
- Samsung Galaxy Note 3 vs. Sony Xperia C3: Features, Specs and Performance Compared
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- Sony Xperia M2 vs. Moto G – Specifications, Features and Price Showdown