Apple iPhone 6 Release Update: iPhone 6 and other iOS Devices to Feature New Siri, Apple Acquires Speech-Recognition Service Novauris
By Precious Silva | April 10, 2014 11:24 AM EST
Apple Inc. (AAPL) Chief Executive Officer Tim Cook went for another acquisition with Novauris Technologies. According to reports, the move was to enhance the company's voice prompt software Siri. There are no details as to how much did the acquisition cost but it appears the tech giant is moving towards bringing in more partners to strengthen its product line. What can people expect from this newly formed partnership?
The gold colored version of the new iPhone 5S is seen after Apple Inc's media event in Cupertino, California September 10, 2013.
Novauris Technologies have coordinated with other companies like Dragon Systems. Apple's move to acquire Novauris goes along with the company's strategy of putting smaller companies under its umbrella. In the process, the tech giant also swallows the technologies of these companies before including them in the company's future products.
The strategy is different from Google and Facebook's approach. Both companies have been investing billions of dollars on getting other companies to use their existing technologies. Tech Crunch reported the acquisition earlier. According to Kristin Huguet, spokeswoman for Apple: "Apple buys smaller technology companies from time to time, and we generally do not discuss our purpose or plans."
Novauris has been working on automatic speech recognition (ASR) technology allowing information access stored locally on servers or mobile devices. The technology will also reportedly feature a large-vocabulary. The company has already patented the system in the United States. It has also obtained license for major firms across the globe.
What separates Novauris from other companies is that the company has experience in both server and embedded space. It also operated with the core engine giving it competitive advantage. Novauris can be considered as an Asset for Apple especially for developing its Siri feature.
According to a report by Businessweek, the Cupertino-based company has made 15 acquisitions during its last fiscal year. This was a major leap from the five acquisitions it made the year before. Likewise, the company spent $525 million in acquisitions in the last quarter. This is twice what it invested in the previous year.
Other acquisitions made include Topsy Labs Inc. (a data-analystics firm), PrimeSense Ltd. (creator of motion-tracking chip technology and Broadmap (mapping software company). Apple introduced Siri back in 2011. It has since then trickled to other releases of the company.
The tech giant is set to release the iPhone 6 this September. Any changes Apple wants to do about Siri may materialize during the phone's release later this year.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- The Pirate Bay Founder Gottfrid Svartholm Clears That Fredrik Neij And Peter Sunde Are Not TPB Founders
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Out There To Save His Two Favourite Ladies In Mid-season Finale
- [In Pictures] Police Fire As Protest Turns Into ‘Riot’ After Grand Jury Decision on Ferguson Shooting
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
Join the Conversation
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Black Friday Sale 2014 Deals From Amazon On Smartphones, TVs, Headsets And More
- Andrew Robb Asks Obama Not to ‘Lecture’ Australia on Climate Change