Internal Documents in Patent Lawsuit Reveal Samsung’s Top Priority Is to Beat Apple
By Vittorio Hernandez | April 10, 2014 8:41 AM EST
Court documents in the ongoing patent lawsuit between competitors Apple and Samsung would give a glimpse of how intense is their rivalry. From former business partners, the Cupertino-based tech giant and the Seoul-based electronics firm have become bitter business enemies trying to outdo each other in many ways.
A man walks out of Samsung Electronics' headquarters in Seoul January 6, 2014.
Techtimes reports that one of the Samsung internal documents opened at the trial provided details of the South Korean company's plans to unseat the company co-founded by the late Steve Jobs. The document explicitly stated that beating Apple is Samsung's number 1 priority.
To topple Apple, Samsung tracked rumours about the features of the next iPhone which it would add to its Galaxy line. Among those listed in a 2012 Samsung document were LTE, social networking, cloud integration and CE integration.
With such information, Samsung crafted marketing plans to counter the threat from Apple.
In turn, Apple also monitored Samsung's marketing and advertising materials based on an email by Apple Senior Vice President Phil Schiller that said he viewed Samsung's pre-Super Bowl advert and noted, "It's pretty good and I can't help but thinking 'these guys are feeling it, while we struggle to nail a compelling brief on iPhone.
Apple had also observed the improved hardware and ecosystem of Samsung phones.
Another document from Apple showed data on smartphone growth for devices with larger screens which have given rise to speculations that the upcoming iPhone 6 would sport 4.7- and 5.5-inch displays.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia
- Amazon Black Friday 2014 Deals Start On Nov. 21, 2014 Including Limited-Time Lightning Deals And Deals Of The Day On Clothes, Toys, Jewelry, Watches, Bags, Accessories And Electronics
- Travel Alert: New Delta Air Lines Airbuses Could Be Seen In Australia Soon
- Walmart Canada Feeling The Heat As Grocery War Intensifies
- Travel Alert: Frequent Flyer Tie-Up Between Virgin Australia, South African Airways Enhanced