Boxing News 2014: Roger Mayweather, Trainer & Uncle of Money May, Hopes the Pacquiao-Mayweather Fight Will Still Push Through
By Vittorio Hernandez | April 10, 2014 8:32 AM EST
Unbeaten American boxer Floyd Mayweather Jr may be dismissing eight-division titleholder Manny Pacquiao as a has-been fighter, but his own trainer and uncle thinks otherwise.
Boxing: Manny Pacquiao-Workout
Roger Mayweather said he hopes the dream match between Pacquiao and Money May would still push through to see what the Filipino champion is capable of doing to his nephew.
"I hope he does fight Floyd, that's what the people wanted to see ... People only wanted to see that, because they only wanted to see what Pacquiao could do to Floyd, if they ever fought," he told On the Ropes Boxing Radio.
He added that even if Pacquiao would lose in his April 12 rematch with another unbeaten American boxer, Timothy Bradley, the Filipino champ should still fight Mayweather before he hangs his boxing gloves.
The elder Mayweather said Pacquiao would also solve his tax problems with the Philippine government if he fights Money May, pointing out "It still would be a good fight and a good payday. He's still got a name."
However, Mayweather said he would not deal with Bob Arum of Top Rank, the promoter of Pacquiao, while Manny has stated he would not leave Arum's camp.
Bradley, in turn, is hopeful too that he would have a chance to face Mayweather and his name would replace Pacquiao's as the pound-for-pound king's opponent in the dream match that appears has dim chance of taking place.
"I want to fight the best and right now the best guy in the business is Mayweather," Bleacher Report quoted Bradley.
But what hinders the dream match between Pacquiao and Mayweather could also be a block in Bradley's version of dream watch because he has extended his contract with Arum to fight Pacquiao.
He admits that he can't go to Arum and demand to fight a particular boxer. "I'm not going to mess up my business doing a foolish move like that. But Floyd says over and over and over, 'I'm my own boss. I can do what I want to do.' If he's his own boss and if he wants the fight, he can make the fight happen. if he wanted to fight me, he could fight me, no problem," Bradley said.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Male Tennis Players To Watch [PHOTOS]
- What Happens When You Give Up Sex For 12 Months? – Dialogue With Peter Lynagh – Exclusive
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Female Tennis Athletes [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: Argentina vs. Philippines Preview, Starting Lineups
- Kate Upton And BF Justin Verlander Nude Photo Leaked; Verlander Instantly Became An Internet Meme Sensation
- Grigor Dimitrov Shares Fashion Tips With Maria Sharapova
- FIBA World Cup 2014: Puerto Rico vs. Greece Live Streaming, Betting Odds and Preview
- 2014 US Open Round of 16: Grigor Dimitrov vs. Gael Monfils Live Streaming and Preview
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones
- Leaker of Actresses Nude Photos Accepting PayPal Donations in Exchange For Posting Alleged Sex Video of Jennifer Lawrence, Has Naked Pictures of 100 Hollywood A-Listers
- ISIS Will Target the U.S. Power Grid, Former CIA Says; Could Tap Other Fellow Extremist Groups to Do the Job
- Jennifer Lawrence's Nude Photos Leaked on Find My iPhone, Apple 'Outraged' But Says Systems 'Not Breached'
- Russia Massacres Ukrainian Volunteer Battalions—Surviving Members Alleged