Derrick Gordon Becomes First Openly Gay Player in NCAA Division I Basketball
By James Patrick Quizon | April 10, 2014 4:57 AM EST
Jason Collins encouraged active basketball players to come out and reveal their sexuality. Derrick Gordon, a guard out of University of Massachusetts has followed the pro baller’s lead and revealed his in the websites Outsports.com and ESPN.com on Wednesday.
The revelation comes roughly a year after Collins openly admitted his sexuality and Gordon becomes the first-ever openly gay athlete in NCAA Division I basketball.
About a week earlier, Gordon told his teammates that he was gay at a team meeting. Some were surprised at first but eventually showed support.
"I have the most profound respect for Derrick and the decision he has made to come out publicly," said head coach Derek Kellogg via Twitter. "He is a model student, a terrific competitor, but most importantly, he is a wonderful human being. We know his decision weighed heavily on him for some time, but as a coaching staff, a team and a family, we stressed to him that we support him in every way possible."
"I've lived my life hiding behind somebody who I wasn't," Gordon told ESPN.com. "I wasn't really that close to anybody on this team because there was something I had to hide. So I distanced myself as soon as I got here, and nobody knew why I was doing that."
The 6-foot-3 sophomore guard averaged 9.4 points and 3.5 rebounds per game starting for UMass the past NCAA season.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Dota 2 Match Fixing Controversy: Arrow Gaming Disqualified From Summit 2 Tournament [VIDEO]
- Roger Federer Starts Practicing On Clay For The Davis Cup Final
- Manny Pacquiao Blasted For Arrogance, Playing Basketball Month Before Fight Against Chris Algieri
- Toni Nadal Says Roger Federer Is The Greatest Of All Time
- Ronda Rousey Rejects Idea of Fight Between A Man And A Woman In The UFC
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop