‘The Leftovers’: Premiere Date and What to Expect [VIDEO]
By Anshu Shrivastava | April 9, 2014 10:24 PM EST
HBO's new series "The Leftovers" is said to be the must see creepy show of this summer. Starring Justin Theroux, Amy Brenneman and Liv Tyler, the pilot episode is scheduled to premiere on June 15, 2014. The first teaser of "The "Leftovers" focuses on the living after 2 per cent of the world's population disappear, mysteriously and abruptly, without a trace or explanation.
"The Leftovers" picks-up three years after a global "Rapture" like event causes the sudden disappearance of 140 million people across the world. It follows the people who have been left behind in a small New York suburb, struggling to come to terms with the unexplainable event.
"The Leftovers," an ensemble drama, is based on Tom Perrotta's book of the same name. Perrotta and Damon Lindelof, co-creator of "Lost" have written the pilot episode, which is directed by Peter Berg.
Talking about this new show, Lindelof, the show-runner, said to Entertainment Weekly that "The Leftovers" will be about "sudden and abrupt loss."
"The traditional way of telling this story is you're in immediate aftermath of this event. It's all that anyone can talk about. Dropping into these people's lives three years later and saying 'This is the moment in which they get back to their lives as they were or they decide that they can't get back to their lives as they were' ..." Lindelof said.
According to the show-runner, the "most pervasive feeling" is the "lack of understanding as to what just occurred."
"The Leftovers" follows Kevin Garvey [Theroux], a father of two and the chief of police in a small New York suburb, as he tries to maintain some semblance of normalcy when the notion no longer applies, according to HBO. Lindelof said that "The Leftovers" is an ensemble drama but "at the hub of all these characters is Kevin Garvey."
"There's that old, classic mythological construct of the sheriff of the town as the guy who's going to keep order in a world that is basically on the brink of chaos," Lindelof said, adding that's the "jumping-off point" for the character.
He also said that like everybody else in the small suburb, Garvey is also "kind of coming apart at the seams," but he cannot show it, as everyone expects him to solve a very large problem.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 30, 2014: Eric Names Rick The New CEO Of Forrester Creations After Finding Out About Ridge And Caroline [WATCH VIDEO]
- 'The Originals' Season 2: Joseph Morgan Talks About Nina Dobrev's Crossover, Julie Plec Reveals Which TVD Character She Wants In Spinoff Series
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers From Nov. 3-7, 2014: Hunter Tylo Comes Back To 'B&B' As Dr. Taylor Hamilton Hayes While Changes Are Being Made At Forrester Creations
- This Is Why Japanese Princess Masako Attended First Palace Banquet After 11 Years
- Tom Cruise and Lindsay Lohan Not Likely Dating, Despite Reports
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Motorola Droid Turbo – S-Pen Is Note’s 4 USP But Droid Turbo Can Outshine With Larger Battery