‘The Leftovers’: Premiere Date and What to Expect [VIDEO]
By Anshu Shrivastava | April 9, 2014 10:24 PM EST
HBO's new series "The Leftovers" is said to be the must see creepy show of this summer. Starring Justin Theroux, Amy Brenneman and Liv Tyler, the pilot episode is scheduled to premiere on June 15, 2014. The first teaser of "The "Leftovers" focuses on the living after 2 per cent of the world's population disappear, mysteriously and abruptly, without a trace or explanation.
"The Leftovers" picks-up three years after a global "Rapture" like event causes the sudden disappearance of 140 million people across the world. It follows the people who have been left behind in a small New York suburb, struggling to come to terms with the unexplainable event.
"The Leftovers," an ensemble drama, is based on Tom Perrotta's book of the same name. Perrotta and Damon Lindelof, co-creator of "Lost" have written the pilot episode, which is directed by Peter Berg.
Talking about this new show, Lindelof, the show-runner, said to Entertainment Weekly that "The Leftovers" will be about "sudden and abrupt loss."
"The traditional way of telling this story is you're in immediate aftermath of this event. It's all that anyone can talk about. Dropping into these people's lives three years later and saying 'This is the moment in which they get back to their lives as they were or they decide that they can't get back to their lives as they were' ..." Lindelof said.
According to the show-runner, the "most pervasive feeling" is the "lack of understanding as to what just occurred."
"The Leftovers" follows Kevin Garvey [Theroux], a father of two and the chief of police in a small New York suburb, as he tries to maintain some semblance of normalcy when the notion no longer applies, according to HBO. Lindelof said that "The Leftovers" is an ensemble drama but "at the hub of all these characters is Kevin Garvey."
"There's that old, classic mythological construct of the sheriff of the town as the guy who's going to keep order in a world that is basically on the brink of chaos," Lindelof said, adding that's the "jumping-off point" for the character.
He also said that like everybody else in the small suburb, Garvey is also "kind of coming apart at the seams," but he cannot show it, as everyone expects him to solve a very large problem.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- ‘America's Got Talent’ (AGT) Season 9 (2014) Winner: Betting Odds And Judges Predict Who Could Win The Finals
- ‘Dancing With The Stars’ (DWTS) Season 19 (2014) Winner Predictions: Fellow Contestants And Betting Odds Predict Who Could Win Mirror Ball Trophy
- ‘The Big Bang Theory’ Season 8 Spoilers: Nine Moments From Episode 1, The Locomotion Interruption
- Norman Reedus Instagrams ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5 Poster Featuring Rick Grimes With A Twist
- ‘Star Wars’ 7 Plot Leak: Chrome Stormtrooper Commander and Trooper May Guard The New Villain
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- iPhone 6 Plus vs Xiaomi Mi4 – The iPhone Killer Certainly Can Battle Well With The New Apple Phablet
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MF 370: Indonesian Police Chief Claims He Knows What Happened To Missing Jet
- HTC Desire 820 (Octa-Core) vs. Sony Xperia Z3 Compact – Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown