‘The Leftovers’: Premiere Date and What to Expect [VIDEO]
By Anshu Shrivastava | April 9, 2014 10:24 PM EST
HBO's new series "The Leftovers" is said to be the must see creepy show of this summer. Starring Justin Theroux, Amy Brenneman and Liv Tyler, the pilot episode is scheduled to premiere on June 15, 2014. The first teaser of "The "Leftovers" focuses on the living after 2 per cent of the world's population disappear, mysteriously and abruptly, without a trace or explanation.
"The Leftovers" picks-up three years after a global "Rapture" like event causes the sudden disappearance of 140 million people across the world. It follows the people who have been left behind in a small New York suburb, struggling to come to terms with the unexplainable event.
"The Leftovers," an ensemble drama, is based on Tom Perrotta's book of the same name. Perrotta and Damon Lindelof, co-creator of "Lost" have written the pilot episode, which is directed by Peter Berg.
Talking about this new show, Lindelof, the show-runner, said to Entertainment Weekly that "The Leftovers" will be about "sudden and abrupt loss."
"The traditional way of telling this story is you're in immediate aftermath of this event. It's all that anyone can talk about. Dropping into these people's lives three years later and saying 'This is the moment in which they get back to their lives as they were or they decide that they can't get back to their lives as they were' ..." Lindelof said.
According to the show-runner, the "most pervasive feeling" is the "lack of understanding as to what just occurred."
"The Leftovers" follows Kevin Garvey [Theroux], a father of two and the chief of police in a small New York suburb, as he tries to maintain some semblance of normalcy when the notion no longer applies, according to HBO. Lindelof said that "The Leftovers" is an ensemble drama but "at the hub of all these characters is Kevin Garvey."
"There's that old, classic mythological construct of the sheriff of the town as the guy who's going to keep order in a world that is basically on the brink of chaos," Lindelof said, adding that's the "jumping-off point" for the character.
He also said that like everybody else in the small suburb, Garvey is also "kind of coming apart at the seams," but he cannot show it, as everyone expects him to solve a very large problem.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- 'Fast & Furious 7': New Brian O' Connor And Dominic Toretto Scene Surfaces
- ‘General Hospital’ Spoilers From Nov. 24-28, 2014 Plus Additional Spoilers For Dec. 1, 2014: Thanksgiving In Port Charles
- Mariah Carey-Nick Cannon Divorce: Mariah Claims Infidelity, Nick's Affair With Amber Rose To Blame -- Report
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 7 Major Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Thoughtful in ‘Crossed’
- Taylor Swift And Harry Styles Spotted Together Enjoying A Concert; Songstress ‘Still Not Over’ 1D Singer—Reports
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- BlackBerry Classic (aka Q20) Keyboard Shortcuts Explained In A Quick Video
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia
- Amazon Black Friday 2014 Deals Start On Nov. 21, 2014 Including Limited-Time Lightning Deals And Deals Of The Day On Clothes, Toys, Jewelry, Watches, Bags, Accessories And Electronics
- Travel Alert: New Delta Air Lines Airbuses Could Be Seen In Australia Soon