‘The Leftovers’: Premiere Date and What to Expect [VIDEO]
By Anshu Shrivastava | April 9, 2014 10:24 PM EST
HBO's new series "The Leftovers" is said to be the must see creepy show of this summer. Starring Justin Theroux, Amy Brenneman and Liv Tyler, the pilot episode is scheduled to premiere on June 15, 2014. The first teaser of "The "Leftovers" focuses on the living after 2 per cent of the world's population disappear, mysteriously and abruptly, without a trace or explanation.
"The Leftovers" picks-up three years after a global "Rapture" like event causes the sudden disappearance of 140 million people across the world. It follows the people who have been left behind in a small New York suburb, struggling to come to terms with the unexplainable event.
"The Leftovers," an ensemble drama, is based on Tom Perrotta's book of the same name. Perrotta and Damon Lindelof, co-creator of "Lost" have written the pilot episode, which is directed by Peter Berg.
Talking about this new show, Lindelof, the show-runner, said to Entertainment Weekly that "The Leftovers" will be about "sudden and abrupt loss."
"The traditional way of telling this story is you're in immediate aftermath of this event. It's all that anyone can talk about. Dropping into these people's lives three years later and saying 'This is the moment in which they get back to their lives as they were or they decide that they can't get back to their lives as they were' ..." Lindelof said.
According to the show-runner, the "most pervasive feeling" is the "lack of understanding as to what just occurred."
"The Leftovers" follows Kevin Garvey [Theroux], a father of two and the chief of police in a small New York suburb, as he tries to maintain some semblance of normalcy when the notion no longer applies, according to HBO. Lindelof said that "The Leftovers" is an ensemble drama but "at the hub of all these characters is Kevin Garvey."
"There's that old, classic mythological construct of the sheriff of the town as the guy who's going to keep order in a world that is basically on the brink of chaos," Lindelof said, adding that's the "jumping-off point" for the character.
He also said that like everybody else in the small suburb, Garvey is also "kind of coming apart at the seams," but he cannot show it, as everyone expects him to solve a very large problem.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Matmo Leaves 32k Customers w/o Electricity in Taiwan, Weakens After Landing in China
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Will Name Second Child Diana, Camilla Parker-Bowles Not Invited to Prince George’s Birthday - Reports
- Kanye West Abandons Kim Kardashian after 58 Days of Marriage – Reports
- Ian Somerhalder and Nina Dobrev Drama: Heartbroken The Vampire Diaries Actress Reacts to Nikki Reed Dating News—Report
- The Bachelorette Season 10 (2014) Finale, ATFR Spoilers: Things to Know About ‘Surprising, Explosive Ending’ of Andi Dorfman’s Season
- Selena Gomez's Mystery Man Identified as Businessman Tommy Chiabra, Singer Flirts and Shares Same Towel with Him -- Reports
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- HTC One E8 (Plastic Variant of HTC One M8) with 5-Inch Display, Dual-SIM, 801 Processor and 2 GB RAM to Hit New Markets Soon
- iPhone 6 Release Date in September 26 with Price Details and More Killer Features
- Apple iPad Mini Air: Three Fresh Features on the Smart Tablet to Wait for
- 4.7-Inch iPhone 6 Release Date is Sept 26 after iOS 8 GM Public Debut on Sept 17 – Reports