‘The Leftovers’: Premiere Date and What to Expect [VIDEO]
By Anshu Shrivastava | April 9, 2014 10:24 PM EST
HBO's new series "The Leftovers" is said to be the must see creepy show of this summer. Starring Justin Theroux, Amy Brenneman and Liv Tyler, the pilot episode is scheduled to premiere on June 15, 2014. The first teaser of "The "Leftovers" focuses on the living after 2 per cent of the world's population disappear, mysteriously and abruptly, without a trace or explanation.
"The Leftovers" picks-up three years after a global "Rapture" like event causes the sudden disappearance of 140 million people across the world. It follows the people who have been left behind in a small New York suburb, struggling to come to terms with the unexplainable event.
"The Leftovers," an ensemble drama, is based on Tom Perrotta's book of the same name. Perrotta and Damon Lindelof, co-creator of "Lost" have written the pilot episode, which is directed by Peter Berg.
Talking about this new show, Lindelof, the show-runner, said to Entertainment Weekly that "The Leftovers" will be about "sudden and abrupt loss."
"The traditional way of telling this story is you're in immediate aftermath of this event. It's all that anyone can talk about. Dropping into these people's lives three years later and saying 'This is the moment in which they get back to their lives as they were or they decide that they can't get back to their lives as they were' ..." Lindelof said.
According to the show-runner, the "most pervasive feeling" is the "lack of understanding as to what just occurred."
"The Leftovers" follows Kevin Garvey [Theroux], a father of two and the chief of police in a small New York suburb, as he tries to maintain some semblance of normalcy when the notion no longer applies, according to HBO. Lindelof said that "The Leftovers" is an ensemble drama but "at the hub of all these characters is Kevin Garvey."
"There's that old, classic mythological construct of the sheriff of the town as the guy who's going to keep order in a world that is basically on the brink of chaos," Lindelof said, adding that's the "jumping-off point" for the character.
He also said that like everybody else in the small suburb, Garvey is also "kind of coming apart at the seams," but he cannot show it, as everyone expects him to solve a very large problem.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ian Somerhalder–Nina Dobrev Reunion Not Happening: 'The Vampire Diaries' (TVD) Star Is 'Falling In Love' With Nikki Reed—Report
- Ian Somerhalder Girlfriend: 'Twilight' Actress Nikki Reed Heads Back To Los Angeles Solo, Spotted Partying With Michelle Rodriguez At A Fashion Event
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Evictee Jason Rose Opens Up About His Family’s Acceptance of His Sexuality, Cat and Lawson’s Illicit Love Affair [VIDEO]
- 'Arrow' Season 3, Episode 3 Spoilers: Merlyn vs Queen; Thea Reborn; Felicity Smoak Gets New Boss [Watch Arrow 3x03 Promo Video]
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ Spoilers For Oct. 23: Find Out What Happens When Phyllis Meets Kelly
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’
- Android Lollipop 5.0 Confirmed for Nov 3 Rollout as Nexus 6 Global Release Date is Delayed – Reports