Lok Sabha Elections 2014: Second Phase Polling Underway in North Eastern Region
By Rama Mohan | April 9, 2014 7:43 PM EST
Polling for the second phase of Lok Sabha election began on 9 April 2014 in four states of North Eastern Region of India. Polling was underway in six Lok Sabha constituencies in Arunachal Pradesh, Nagaland, Manipur and Meghalaya. The polling began at 7 am at full swing in the region. In the first phase of the election on 7 April, 85 percent polling in Tripura and 76 percent polling in Assam has been reported.
In Arunachal Pradesh, polls are being held simultaneously for two Lok Sabha and 49 out of 60 Assembly constituencies on Wednesday, where Arunachal Pradesh Governor Lt Gen (Retd) Nirbhay Sharma and Chief Minister Nabam Tuki exercised their franchise.
In Meghalaya, polling for two Lok Sabha seats began amid tight security at polling booths in the border areas of the North Eastern region. Congress, BJP, former Lok Sabha speaker PA Sangma-led National People's Party, some regional parties and independents are contesting the polls in the state.
The polling to single Lok Sabha constituency in Mizoram, which was scheduled to be held on Wednesday, 9 April 2014, has been postponed to 11 April.
In Manipur state, 40 percent of votes were polled by noon in the Outer Manipur Lok Sabha constituency. A total of 10 candidates of various parties are in the fray in the constituency and three independents are also contesting.
On 10 April 2014, polling will be held in Bihar, Chhattisgarh, Haryana, Jammu and Kashmir, Jharkhand, Kerala, Madhya Pradesh, Maharashtra, Odisha, Uttar Pradesh, Andaman and Nicobar, Chandigarh, Lakshadweep and Delhi.
Meanwhile, Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) Convenor Arvind Kejriwal, who was slapped by an auto rikshaw driver in Delhi's Sultanpuri area rally on Tuesday, visited the assaulter's house and said that he has forgiven him.
The assaulter Lali had first garlanded Kejriwal and then slapped him in his face at the election roadshow. Kejriwal had a swollen eye due to the slapping. Lali had accused Kejriwal of not fulfilling the promises he had made to auto rikshaw drivers when the latter was the Chief Minister of Delhi.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- New Zealand and China Decide to Boost Defence Ties
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Russian Govt Found Tinkering Wikipedia Crash Info
- Scientists Warn MERS Virus Could be Spread Airborne
- British PM Cameron Urges Tough Sanctions Against Russia
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales