Lok Sabha Elections 2014: Second Phase Polling Underway in North Eastern Region
By Rama Mohan | April 9, 2014 7:43 PM EST
Polling for the second phase of Lok Sabha election began on 9 April 2014 in four states of North Eastern Region of India. Polling was underway in six Lok Sabha constituencies in Arunachal Pradesh, Nagaland, Manipur and Meghalaya. The polling began at 7 am at full swing in the region. In the first phase of the election on 7 April, 85 percent polling in Tripura and 76 percent polling in Assam has been reported.
In Arunachal Pradesh, polls are being held simultaneously for two Lok Sabha and 49 out of 60 Assembly constituencies on Wednesday, where Arunachal Pradesh Governor Lt Gen (Retd) Nirbhay Sharma and Chief Minister Nabam Tuki exercised their franchise.
In Meghalaya, polling for two Lok Sabha seats began amid tight security at polling booths in the border areas of the North Eastern region. Congress, BJP, former Lok Sabha speaker PA Sangma-led National People's Party, some regional parties and independents are contesting the polls in the state.
The polling to single Lok Sabha constituency in Mizoram, which was scheduled to be held on Wednesday, 9 April 2014, has been postponed to 11 April.
In Manipur state, 40 percent of votes were polled by noon in the Outer Manipur Lok Sabha constituency. A total of 10 candidates of various parties are in the fray in the constituency and three independents are also contesting.
On 10 April 2014, polling will be held in Bihar, Chhattisgarh, Haryana, Jammu and Kashmir, Jharkhand, Kerala, Madhya Pradesh, Maharashtra, Odisha, Uttar Pradesh, Andaman and Nicobar, Chandigarh, Lakshadweep and Delhi.
Meanwhile, Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) Convenor Arvind Kejriwal, who was slapped by an auto rikshaw driver in Delhi's Sultanpuri area rally on Tuesday, visited the assaulter's house and said that he has forgiven him.
The assaulter Lali had first garlanded Kejriwal and then slapped him in his face at the election roadshow. Kejriwal had a swollen eye due to the slapping. Lali had accused Kejriwal of not fulfilling the promises he had made to auto rikshaw drivers when the latter was the Chief Minister of Delhi.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Celebrities Who Got Pregnant Using IVF: Busting the Myths About IVF
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Australia Asked National Media to Suppress Multi-National Corruption Case: WikiLeaks
- Opinion Poll in New Zealand Shows National Party Far Ahead in Popular Support
- U.S. ‘Defends’ Israel for ‘Disgraceful’ Attack on UN School in Gaza that Killed 15
- Gold in China: 127-Tonne Gold Reserves Tapped in Xinjiang
- NSW Braces for Severe Weather Condition
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff
- 2014 Ebola Outbreak: ‘Out of control… and Can Get Worse'; Asky Airline Stops Flying to Liberia, Sierra Leone; Liberia Closes Schools