Lok Sabha Elections 2014: Second Phase Polling Underway in North Eastern Region
By Rama Mohan | April 9, 2014 7:43 PM EST
Polling for the second phase of Lok Sabha election began on 9 April 2014 in four states of North Eastern Region of India. Polling was underway in six Lok Sabha constituencies in Arunachal Pradesh, Nagaland, Manipur and Meghalaya. The polling began at 7 am at full swing in the region. In the first phase of the election on 7 April, 85 percent polling in Tripura and 76 percent polling in Assam has been reported.
In Arunachal Pradesh, polls are being held simultaneously for two Lok Sabha and 49 out of 60 Assembly constituencies on Wednesday, where Arunachal Pradesh Governor Lt Gen (Retd) Nirbhay Sharma and Chief Minister Nabam Tuki exercised their franchise.
In Meghalaya, polling for two Lok Sabha seats began amid tight security at polling booths in the border areas of the North Eastern region. Congress, BJP, former Lok Sabha speaker PA Sangma-led National People's Party, some regional parties and independents are contesting the polls in the state.
The polling to single Lok Sabha constituency in Mizoram, which was scheduled to be held on Wednesday, 9 April 2014, has been postponed to 11 April.
In Manipur state, 40 percent of votes were polled by noon in the Outer Manipur Lok Sabha constituency. A total of 10 candidates of various parties are in the fray in the constituency and three independents are also contesting.
On 10 April 2014, polling will be held in Bihar, Chhattisgarh, Haryana, Jammu and Kashmir, Jharkhand, Kerala, Madhya Pradesh, Maharashtra, Odisha, Uttar Pradesh, Andaman and Nicobar, Chandigarh, Lakshadweep and Delhi.
Meanwhile, Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) Convenor Arvind Kejriwal, who was slapped by an auto rikshaw driver in Delhi's Sultanpuri area rally on Tuesday, visited the assaulter's house and said that he has forgiven him.
The assaulter Lali had first garlanded Kejriwal and then slapped him in his face at the election roadshow. Kejriwal had a swollen eye due to the slapping. Lali had accused Kejriwal of not fulfilling the promises he had made to auto rikshaw drivers when the latter was the Chief Minister of Delhi.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Teachers’ Strike in BC, Canada Stalls 1st Day of School; Labour Dispute Could Last Even After Labour Day
- Australia Races Against Potential Genocide In Iraq
- Ukraine Crisis: Putin Dangles Nuclear War Threat, US Senators Advise Sending Defensive Weapons
- ISIS Will Target the U.S. Power Grid, Former CIA Says; Could Tap Other Fellow Extremist Groups to Do the Job
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying