'Maan Karate' Box Office Collection: Sivakarthikeyan Starrer Rocks Overseas Markets
By sangeetha seshagiri | April 9, 2014 7:29 PM EST
"Maan Karate", the first big summer release of 2014 (Tamil), has fared well in overseas markets like the US, the UK, Australia and Malaysia.
Maan Karate poster (Facebook/ Maan Karate)
The Sivakarthikeyan-Hansika starrer has minted pretty good collections in its opening weekend at the overseas box office. The film grossed $66,337 in its first weekend from the US, £34,336 from the UK, A$29,162 from Australia and MYR 334,187 from Malayasia.
"#MaanKarate [Tamil; opng wknd] USA Rs 39.87 lacs, UK Rs 34.19 lacs, Australia Rs 16.25 lacs, Malaysia [reported screens] Rs 61.42 lacs," film critic and trade analyst Taran Adarsh tweeted.
Despite getting mixed reviews, "Maan Karate" has opened well in India, as well as overseas markets. The film, which released on 4 April, took a huge opening in Tamil Nadu and reportedly grossed over ₹10 crore in its opening weekend in the state.
The fantasy romantic entertainer surpassed Sivakarthikeyan's "Varuthapadatha Valibar Sangam" opening weekend collections and has turned out to be the highest opener for the actor.
In Chennai, "Maan Karate" reportedly surpassed the opening weekend collections of Ajith's "Veeram" and Vijay's "Jilla". The film grossed ₹1.41 crore in its debut weekend in the city, which is higher than the collections of both "Veeram" (₹1.23 crore) and "Jilla" (₹1.32 crore), according to Behindwoods.
Ever since "Maan Karate went on floors, it carried a lot of buzz. The film's first look posters, trailer and songs generated a lot of hype and increased the expectations of fans. The response for the film's advance booking was fantastic, which helped the Siva starrer take a huge opening in its first weekend.
"Maan Karate" is expected to complete the first week with decent collections and sustain its momentum in the second week as well.
Directed by debutant Thirukumaran, "Maan Karate" has comedian Sathish, Vikram Krishna, Sayaji Shinde and writer Shaji in supporting roles. The film's story and screenplay were written by director AR Murugadoss and its music was composed by Anirudh.
(Edited by Vishnuprasad S Pillai)
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Celebrities Who Were Victims of Rape: Psychological and Physical Effects of Rape
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Kanye West, Ben Affleck, Serena Williams Are Victims Of Migraines: Ways To Tackle It
- Men’s Tennis’ Grand Slam Winners Of 2014 – Wawrinka, Nadal, Djokovic, and Cilic
Join the Conversation
- Joan Rivers Left $150 Million Legacy To Her Only Child, Care For Her Four Pooches Included In Her Will
- 'Star Wars 7': Luke Skywalker Exiled, Turns Into Powerful Wizard
- Kendall Jenner Distances Self From The Kardashians, Prefers Kim Kardashian West To Be Absent In Her Modelling Shows
- Paul Walker's Daughter Paid Heart Touching Tribute To Her Father On His Birthday
- Miley Cyrus Naked Picture In Bathroom: 'Bangerz' Singer Shares The Racy Picture With Fans
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8: Performance, CPU and Health
- Google Android Lion vs Apple iOS 8: Why Make the Big Switch
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. OnePlus One – Can The Underdog Trump The Monster?
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date
- Australia's Imam Council Rebuffs Abbott Decision To Send Troops; Wants 'Islamic' Dropped From ISIS
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown