'Maan Karate' Box Office Collection: Sivakarthikeyan Starrer Rocks Overseas Markets
By sangeetha seshagiri | April 9, 2014 7:29 PM EST
"Maan Karate", the first big summer release of 2014 (Tamil), has fared well in overseas markets like the US, the UK, Australia and Malaysia.
Maan Karate poster (Facebook/ Maan Karate)
The Sivakarthikeyan-Hansika starrer has minted pretty good collections in its opening weekend at the overseas box office. The film grossed $66,337 in its first weekend from the US, £34,336 from the UK, A$29,162 from Australia and MYR 334,187 from Malayasia.
"#MaanKarate [Tamil; opng wknd] USA Rs 39.87 lacs, UK Rs 34.19 lacs, Australia Rs 16.25 lacs, Malaysia [reported screens] Rs 61.42 lacs," film critic and trade analyst Taran Adarsh tweeted.
Despite getting mixed reviews, "Maan Karate" has opened well in India, as well as overseas markets. The film, which released on 4 April, took a huge opening in Tamil Nadu and reportedly grossed over ₹10 crore in its opening weekend in the state.
The fantasy romantic entertainer surpassed Sivakarthikeyan's "Varuthapadatha Valibar Sangam" opening weekend collections and has turned out to be the highest opener for the actor.
In Chennai, "Maan Karate" reportedly surpassed the opening weekend collections of Ajith's "Veeram" and Vijay's "Jilla". The film grossed ₹1.41 crore in its debut weekend in the city, which is higher than the collections of both "Veeram" (₹1.23 crore) and "Jilla" (₹1.32 crore), according to Behindwoods.
Ever since "Maan Karate went on floors, it carried a lot of buzz. The film's first look posters, trailer and songs generated a lot of hype and increased the expectations of fans. The response for the film's advance booking was fantastic, which helped the Siva starrer take a huge opening in its first weekend.
"Maan Karate" is expected to complete the first week with decent collections and sustain its momentum in the second week as well.
Directed by debutant Thirukumaran, "Maan Karate" has comedian Sathish, Vikram Krishna, Sayaji Shinde and writer Shaji in supporting roles. The film's story and screenplay were written by director AR Murugadoss and its music was composed by Anirudh.
(Edited by Vishnuprasad S Pillai)
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ (Y&R) Nov. 24 – 28 Plus Thanksgiving Special Spoilers: Someone Returns, Kelly Finds Out About Engagement And More [Videos]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5 Spoilers: Rick Grimes’ Group To Capture Cops In Episode 7 – ‘Crossed’
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 7 Spoilers, Air Date: Where To Watch Online, Live Stream ‘Crossed’
- 'Revenge' Season 4 Spoilers: Daniel, Emily In Twisted Friendship; David Clarke Mystery Growing (Review, Updates)
- ‘Days Of Our Lives’ (DOOL) Nov. 24 – 28 Spoilers: JJ Decides, Melanie Confronts Chad And Daniel And Nicole Reconcile
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation