Mitch Kupchak Extends Stay as Los Angeles Lakers GM
By James Patrick Quizon | April 9, 2014 6:37 PM EST
Mitch Kupchak is staying in Hollywood to run the purple-and-gold. The Los Angeles Lakers general manager will stay with the Los Angeles Lakers after agreeing to a multiyear extension according to a report in ESPN.COM.
NBA: New York Knicks at Los Angeles Lakers
Kupchack actually still had one year left in the previous contract but both parties decided for the early extension. The terms of the new contract were not disclosed.
The 2013-2014 NBA season has been the most challenging so far for Kupchack, who has been with the franchise in different functions since 1986. He was named Lakers GM in 2000 and delivered four championships since.
The Lakers are currently at 25-52 for the season. The win-loss record is just one game ahead of the Utah Jazz (24-53) for worst in the Western Conference. This is also the worst Lakers team record-wise since 1958.
However, this could all be part of the Lakers (tanking) plans. Kupchack will have a high draft pick and cap space to work with as he continue rebuilding Los Angeles.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Tony Stewart Reveals Retirement Not In Options, Reflects On His Life After the Fatal Crash
- Sugar Ray Leonard Adds Fuel To Pacquiao-Mayweather Clamour
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Wants To Talk To Manny Pacquiao About Super Fight If Filipino Beats Chris Algieri
- WWE Update: Bray Wyatt’s Twitter Post Hints Upcoming Fight With Sting [VIDEO]
- Rafael Nadal Gives Li Na Flowers, A Teary Farewell At Beijing China Open
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- ISIS Supporters are Walking Among the Many in the United States – Report
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build
- 3 Signs Nexus 6, 8 Release Date Nears: Leaked Pics, KitKat Factory Image & Android L Details Emerge