Arvind Kejriwal Meets Man Who Slapped Him; ‘I Made a Huge Mistake by Attacking Him,’ Says Lali [VIDEO]
By Gopi Chandra Kharel | April 9, 2014 5:42 PM EST
Arvind Kejriwal, chief of the Aam Aadmi Party on Wednesday, met with the man who slapped him while he was campaigning in Delhi on Tuesday.
Arvind Kejriwal (C)
Kejriwal reportedly wanted to meet the attacker in order to know what made him so angry. Lali, who is reported to be an auto-rickshaw driver, attacked Kejriwal while he was campaigning in Sultanpuri in northwest Delhi for the national election.
On Wednesday morning, when Kejriwal met the man, the 38-year-old attacker said, "I apologize to Mr Kejriwal. I committed a huge mistake by attacking him," NDTV reported.
Following are some of the pictures posted by the News Agency ANI on Twitter:
I apologized to Kejriwal ji, I had made a huge mistake by attacking him -Lali,auto driver who attacked Kejriwal pic.twitter.com/MgBQDgr7ts
— ANI (@ANI_news) April 9, 2014
Arvind Kejriwal and Manish Sisodia meet Lali,who attacked him yesterday pic.twitter.com/XdksLD3LOm — ANI (@ANI_news) April 9, 2014
While it can't be said with certainty what Kejriwal's motive was behind meeting with the man who attacked him, many are saying that this borders on the violation of model code of conduct as Delhi goes to polls on Thursday. Political parties are not allowed to indulge in campaigning now, although it is not certain if this move by Kejriwal will be construed as campaigning.
The AAP leader was in an open jeep on Tuesday, when Lali reached up and put a garland around his neck, before striking him hard on his left cheek, leaving Kejriwal with a swollen eye. He was immediately pulled to the ground and beaten by AAP supporters. Lali was later taken to the hospital.
The attacker, reported to be a resident of Aman Vihar in Outer Delhi, has accused Kejriwal of not fulfilling promises made to the auto drivers.
"I do not understand why do some people resort to violence for becoming the Prime Minister. If you think by attacking us, we will keep quite than you are wrong. We will fight this battle till the last breath," Kejriwal said on Tuesday.
The AAP chief will also meet 19-year-old Abdul Wahid, a resident of Dehi's Jamia Nagar area who punched Kejriwal at a public rally on 4 April.
Just hours after being slapped by the auto rickshaw driver, Kejriwal released a video manifesto seeking votes from people.
Watch the video below:
(Edited by Vanilla Sharma)
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Prince George Birthday: Adorable New Pictures of George Touching a Butterfly on William's Hand Released [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Meeks Death Hoax: Handsome Felon's Fake Death after Release from Jail Goes Viral
- Happy Birthday Prince George: 5 Things to Know About Kate Middleton and Prince William’s Son
- Prince George’s Birthday Celebrations: Prince Charles and Duchess Camilla to Remain Absent from Grandson's First Birthday Party Plus Other Details- Report
- Tony Abbott Launches #BringThemHome Operation for MH17 Victims; Black Avatars Trending on Social Media
- Wildfires in Canada & U.S. ‘Still Active’
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- NVIDIA Shield Gaming Tablet with Tegra K1 SoC Reported to be Released on July 29
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time