Arvind Kejriwal Meets Man Who Slapped Him; ‘I Made a Huge Mistake by Attacking Him,’ Says Lali [VIDEO]
By Gopi Chandra Kharel | April 9, 2014 5:42 PM EST
Arvind Kejriwal, chief of the Aam Aadmi Party on Wednesday, met with the man who slapped him while he was campaigning in Delhi on Tuesday.
Arvind Kejriwal (C)
Kejriwal reportedly wanted to meet the attacker in order to know what made him so angry. Lali, who is reported to be an auto-rickshaw driver, attacked Kejriwal while he was campaigning in Sultanpuri in northwest Delhi for the national election.
On Wednesday morning, when Kejriwal met the man, the 38-year-old attacker said, "I apologize to Mr Kejriwal. I committed a huge mistake by attacking him," NDTV reported.
Following are some of the pictures posted by the News Agency ANI on Twitter:
I apologized to Kejriwal ji, I had made a huge mistake by attacking him -Lali,auto driver who attacked Kejriwal pic.twitter.com/MgBQDgr7ts
— ANI (@ANI_news) April 9, 2014
Arvind Kejriwal and Manish Sisodia meet Lali,who attacked him yesterday pic.twitter.com/XdksLD3LOm — ANI (@ANI_news) April 9, 2014
While it can't be said with certainty what Kejriwal's motive was behind meeting with the man who attacked him, many are saying that this borders on the violation of model code of conduct as Delhi goes to polls on Thursday. Political parties are not allowed to indulge in campaigning now, although it is not certain if this move by Kejriwal will be construed as campaigning.
The AAP leader was in an open jeep on Tuesday, when Lali reached up and put a garland around his neck, before striking him hard on his left cheek, leaving Kejriwal with a swollen eye. He was immediately pulled to the ground and beaten by AAP supporters. Lali was later taken to the hospital.
The attacker, reported to be a resident of Aman Vihar in Outer Delhi, has accused Kejriwal of not fulfilling promises made to the auto drivers.
"I do not understand why do some people resort to violence for becoming the Prime Minister. If you think by attacking us, we will keep quite than you are wrong. We will fight this battle till the last breath," Kejriwal said on Tuesday.
The AAP chief will also meet 19-year-old Abdul Wahid, a resident of Dehi's Jamia Nagar area who punched Kejriwal at a public rally on 4 April.
Just hours after being slapped by the auto rickshaw driver, Kejriwal released a video manifesto seeking votes from people.
Watch the video below:
(Edited by Vanilla Sharma)
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ISIS War to Last For 4 Years; US Military Shows Videos of Airstrikes Hitting Militant Base [VIDEO]
- Australia Joins Global Effort to Stop Russian Website From Illegally Streaming Web Cam Feeds
- Ebola Stock Companies Suspended From Trading For Unverifiable Claims
- Former Malaysian Envoy Denies Assault Charges in New Zealand, Elects Trial By Jury
- Baby Gammy Will Be Australian Citizen Soon
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- BlackBerry Classic (aka Q20) Keyboard Shortcuts Explained In A Quick Video
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia
- Amazon Black Friday 2014 Deals Start On Nov. 21, 2014 Including Limited-Time Lightning Deals And Deals Of The Day On Clothes, Toys, Jewelry, Watches, Bags, Accessories And Electronics
- Samsung Galaxy Note Edge Battery Life Test Shows Its Curved Display And Build Has Impacted Its Battery Performance