Australia Week in China Commences; $A Rallies with Chinese Stock Hike
By Athena Yenko | April 9, 2014 4:54 PM EST
AWIC happens from April 8 through 11.
The event in Guangzhou features 10 major industry sectors in food and beverage, agribusiness, financial services, education services, mining and mining equipment, technology and services, built environment, tourism and health and senior living.
AWIC is a historic and unique opportunity for both small and medium businesses in Australia to invest in partnerships, collaborations and relationships with Chinese counterparts.
AWIC is also the largest Commonwealth-sponsored trade mission, bringing 680 businesses registered for the delegation.
"Australia Week in China is about expanding our trade and investment ties and helping Australian businesses of all sizes grow, expand and create more jobs. As Minister for Small Business, I am particularly committed to opening the door for small businesses to access opportunities to develop and grow their businesses in new markets and to provide more jobs locally. China is an attractive place offering delicious opportunities to grow our international small business export market which currently stands at $1.25 billion," Mr Billson said in a statement.
"I am proud to be part of Australia Week in China. This should leave absolutely no one in China in doubt that Australia is open for business," he added.
Meanwhile, the Australian dollar reached a six-month high, following a price hike in Chinese stocks.
The Australian dollar was trading at 93.17 U.S. cents at 1700 AEST on Tuesday up from 92.84 U.S. cents on Monday.
"It's surprising to see the Aussie bouncing back as sharply as it has. After yesterday's holiday China has come back in a very good mood. The Shanghai Composite is up, led by a rise in financial stocks, more specifically insurers, after new rules were brought in allowing mergers in that sector that was previously prohibited," Westpac senior currency strategist Sean Callow told The Sydney Morning Herald.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ukraine Crisis: Putin Dangles Nuclear War Threat, US Senators Advise Sending Defensive Weapons
- James Foley Is A Spy – Jihadi Recruiter Reveals
- Australia's Renewable Energy Industry Braces for Removal of Support
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- Australia Races Against Potential Genocide In Iraq
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Google Chrome 64-bit for Windows 8 and Window 7 with Mac Beta Available
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Google Can Kill Samsung with Android KitKat and Android One: Here's How