Injury Sidelines Port Adelaide Forward Chad Wingard
By Dhrubajyoti Biswas | April 9, 2014 4:52 PM EST
Port Adelaide's promising forward Chad Wingard will miss the upcoming match against Brisbane on Saturday, following his injury.
Chad suffered an injury in the ankle during the match against Kangaroos. He will now join his teammate Angus Monfries on the sideline in the upcoming match against Lions.
The current state of Wingard seems he will be off the field for at least three to four weeks due to a restrained hamstring. However, it has been confirmed by his coach Josh Carr that his treatment will not be done in haste
"At this stage it looks like he (Wingard) probably won't come up for this weekend, we'll go into the game definitely with a no-risk policy," Carr told to the reporters on Wednesday.
Meanwhile, the 27-year-old Monfries seems to be in a better state as the recent scan of hamstring revealed he is out of danger. Monfries suffered the injury while chasing a loose ball against the match with North Melbourne on Sunday.
"It definitely pulled up [well], I spoke to him the next day and he compared it to what he did early last year ... That was real positive - you saw the way he went down you would have thought that it could have been a lot worse than what it was ... We get a lot of confidence out of that," Carr further added.
Monfries told Carr after the match the injury was pretty similar to the one he suffered during the 2013 pre-season showdown against Adelaide.
Jay Schulz was also cleared to play after he hurt his leg on Sunday.
The 20-year-old forward was outstanding this season, having an average of 18 possessions, three tackles, seven marks and scoring goals in most of the matches.
Chad made his debut in AFL for Port Adelaide in 2012, against St Kilda and became one of the most valuable players in the squad. Chad was also awarded the John Cahill Medal and also the Showdown Medal for his fabulous performance in 2013.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Transfer News: Real Madrid Unveil Galactico James Rodriguez [PHOTOS]
- Roger Federer Regains Deadly Service Game - Andy Roddick
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Lionel Messi's Gunners Link a Ploy to Receive Improved Deal
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon