Parents Condemned for Sailing Mexico - NZ w/ Toddlers in Tow
By Athena Yenko | April 9, 2014 4:47 PM EST
Eric and Charlotte Kaufman from San Diego are now heavily criticised for bringing their toddlers - 1-year-old and 3-year-old - in a sailboat trip from Mexico to New Zealand.
The trip ended in a complicated rescue operation as the younger toddler became sick with salmonella and their boat encountered problems.
The complicated rescue operation was conducted by the California Air National Guard and U.S. Navy to bring the antibiotics for the toddler in time. California Air National Guardsmen parachuted from helicopters to lift the Kaufmans into inflatable boats.
The incident led for Mr and Mrs Kaufman to be subjected to heavy criticism, questioning their parenting style.
Netizens, who have read Mrs Kaufman's blog saying that the baby was unable to sleep during the trip and that they wash soiled diapers in the galley sink, suggested for proper agencies to take their children away from them.
Some critics said that the couple should pay the expenses incurred during the rescue.
Experienced sailors questioned their ability to conduct the trip.
"I have a rule in my mind that I would never bring a kid less than 2 years old. There's some real risks here, and you bring somebody else along and you're taking the risk for them, too. That's a serious question." Mr Rutherford said.
For James Gardner, a fisherman in California, the couple was being ridiculous.
"Teenagers, maybe, but kids of those ages - I think it was asinine. He put his family at risk. Any Joe can take a Coast Guard course and you are a captain - it is just above a cereal box certification," Mr Gardner told The New York Times.
Ashley Merryman, a co-author of a parenting book NurtureShock, said parents should contemplate on activities that toddlers are really ready for.
"I am very much anti-Bubble Wrap and think we should be giving our kids safe risks, but that doesn't mean exposing them to actual risks. It's not as if a 1-year-old is going to remember an experience, whether it's positive or negative. We all need to think about what they are really ready for," Ms Merryman said.
Even own family members were criticising Mr and Mrs Kaufman.
James Moriset, Mrs Kaufman's brother, said the idea was crazy to begin with.
"I saw this coming - I saw the potential for every bit of it. I don't understand what they were thinking to begin with. I'm sorry, I don't even like to take my kids in a car ride that would be too dangerous, and it's like taking them out into the big ocean?"
Mr and Mrs Kaufman en route wrote a statement to explain their side.
"When we departed on this journey more than a year ago, we were then and remain today confident that we prepared as well as any sailing crew could. The ocean is one of the greatest forces of nature, and it always has the potential to overcome those who live on or near it. We are proud of our choices and our preparation, and while we are disappointed that we lost our sailboat and our home, we remain grateful for those who came to our aid and those family and friends who continue to encourage and support us."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Malaysia Airlines Flights: MH17 Black Box Data Suggests Missile Attack; MH17 and MH370 Leads Malaysia Airlines to ‘Renaming and Rebranding’
- 5 Creepy (And Others--Amazing) Urban Legends From Australia
- Pm Abbott Goes Nuts over MH17 Mission
- Flying Still Safest Despite Air Crashes, Experts Reassure
- MH17 Downing Violates International Law – World Leaders
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- Killer Whales Gobble Japanese Whaling Crew
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal
- 5 Marketing Nuggets We Can All Learn From Lady Gaga