‘Ghostbusters 3’ To Happen, Director Ivan Reitman Confirms
By Anne Lu | April 9, 2014 3:33 PM EST
“Ghostbusters 3” will happen, filmmaker Ivan Reitman vows. The producer and director of the first two “Ghostbusters” film has confirmed that a third is officially a go.
The first film was a critical and commercial success when it was released in 1984, prompting a sequel, which was released in 1989 to mixed reviews but box office success.
A third film has been rumoured for decades, but it appeared to be permanently halted after Harold Ramis’ death in February.
Ramis not only co-starred in the films as Dr Egon Spengler, he also co-wrote both films.
But Reitman said that hope isn’t completely lost yet. In fact, he was adamant that it’s going to happen.
“A lot of directors are throwing their hats in. We’re starting the meetings. We’re going to do it,” the 67-year-old director told People on Monday.
As for the cast, Reitman himself isn’t sure yet if Bill Murray, who starred as Peter Venkman in the films, will going to join them.
“There will be many people from the original cast. You’re really asking about Bill Murray, and I have no idea. All the other movies I made with Bill, he never told me he was doing it until... well, the longest was two weeks. ‘Meatballs,’ he told me he was doing it the day before.”
Murray also worked with Reitman in the 1981 comedy “Stripes.”
But how about Dan Aykroyd? People’s interview with Reitman doesn’t mention if the 61-year-old Academy Award nominee, who played Ray Stantz and co-wrote the films with Ramis, will still be a part of the second sequel. But for fans, his involvement is a given.
Ernie Hudson, who played Winston Zeddemore, will reprise his role.
“It’s about to happen,” the 68-year-old actor said. “Unfortunately, Harold is not with us anymore. But it’s going to happen. It’s going to be really, really good, which is why it’s taken so long.”
That’s not hard to believe. Children of the ‘80s and their children are already anticipating the film, and by faith, they know it would be really good.
“The fans have been amazing,” Hudson continued. “Without any studio support, they make their outfits and cars and Ectomobiles. I was in Brussels, and about 50 guys showed up with their Ghostbuster outfits on. In every state in the country, there are Ghostbuster chapters. It’s cool. It’s nice to be a part of.”
Ramis died on February 24 after succumbing to complications of vasculitis. He was 69.
“Harold brought a groundedness to everything he did,” Hudson remembered his co-star. “He was a smart guy, and I think that will be missing. There’s something about Harold that nobody can replace. [Ghostbusters 3] will be good, but it won’t be what it could have been.”
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Avengers 2: Capt.America Dances With Peggy Carter, First Love Returns
- Kim Kardashian and Kanye West Break-Up Furor Ceased: West Gets Turned on by Kim, Puts Rest to Marriage Trouble Reports
- Selena Gomez's Mystery Man Identified as Businessman Tommy Chiabra, Singer Flirts and Shares Same Towel with Him -- Reports
- NCIS Season 12 Spoilers: Fans Fear Cote de Pablo Not Coming Back, Tony DiNozzo Moving On from Ziva David
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Report: Duchess Expecting a Baby Girl, Prince William Wants 3 Kids [PHOTOS]
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- Sony Xperia M2 vs. Moto G – Specifications, Features and Price Showdown