‘Ghostbusters 3’ To Happen, Director Ivan Reitman Confirms
By Anne Lu | April 9, 2014 3:33 PM EST
“Ghostbusters 3” will happen, filmmaker Ivan Reitman vows. The producer and director of the first two “Ghostbusters” film has confirmed that a third is officially a go.
The first film was a critical and commercial success when it was released in 1984, prompting a sequel, which was released in 1989 to mixed reviews but box office success.
A third film has been rumoured for decades, but it appeared to be permanently halted after Harold Ramis’ death in February.
Ramis not only co-starred in the films as Dr Egon Spengler, he also co-wrote both films.
But Reitman said that hope isn’t completely lost yet. In fact, he was adamant that it’s going to happen.
“A lot of directors are throwing their hats in. We’re starting the meetings. We’re going to do it,” the 67-year-old director told People on Monday.
As for the cast, Reitman himself isn’t sure yet if Bill Murray, who starred as Peter Venkman in the films, will going to join them.
“There will be many people from the original cast. You’re really asking about Bill Murray, and I have no idea. All the other movies I made with Bill, he never told me he was doing it until... well, the longest was two weeks. ‘Meatballs,’ he told me he was doing it the day before.”
Murray also worked with Reitman in the 1981 comedy “Stripes.”
But how about Dan Aykroyd? People’s interview with Reitman doesn’t mention if the 61-year-old Academy Award nominee, who played Ray Stantz and co-wrote the films with Ramis, will still be a part of the second sequel. But for fans, his involvement is a given.
Ernie Hudson, who played Winston Zeddemore, will reprise his role.
“It’s about to happen,” the 68-year-old actor said. “Unfortunately, Harold is not with us anymore. But it’s going to happen. It’s going to be really, really good, which is why it’s taken so long.”
That’s not hard to believe. Children of the ‘80s and their children are already anticipating the film, and by faith, they know it would be really good.
“The fans have been amazing,” Hudson continued. “Without any studio support, they make their outfits and cars and Ectomobiles. I was in Brussels, and about 50 guys showed up with their Ghostbuster outfits on. In every state in the country, there are Ghostbuster chapters. It’s cool. It’s nice to be a part of.”
Ramis died on February 24 after succumbing to complications of vasculitis. He was 69.
“Harold brought a groundedness to everything he did,” Hudson remembered his co-star. “He was a smart guy, and I think that will be missing. There’s something about Harold that nobody can replace. [Ghostbusters 3] will be good, but it won’t be what it could have been.”
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- 'Star Wars 7': Luke Skywalker Exiled, Turns Into Powerful Wizard
- ‘Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice’: Leaked Videos Show Batmobile In Motion; Vehicle Reportedly 'Stolen'
- ‘Avengers: Age of Ultron’: Black Panther Powerful Than Ultron, Can Be New Iron Man
- ‘America's Got Talent’ (AGT) Season 9 (2014) Winner: Betting Odds And Judges Predict Who Could Win The Finals
- ‘Dancing With The Stars’ (DWTS) Season 19 (2014) Winner Predictions: Fellow Contestants And Betting Odds Predict Who Could Win Mirror Ball Trophy
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date