‘Ghostbusters 3’ To Happen, Director Ivan Reitman Confirms
By Anne Lu | April 9, 2014 3:33 PM EST
“Ghostbusters 3” will happen, filmmaker Ivan Reitman vows. The producer and director of the first two “Ghostbusters” film has confirmed that a third is officially a go.
The first film was a critical and commercial success when it was released in 1984, prompting a sequel, which was released in 1989 to mixed reviews but box office success.
A third film has been rumoured for decades, but it appeared to be permanently halted after Harold Ramis’ death in February.
Ramis not only co-starred in the films as Dr Egon Spengler, he also co-wrote both films.
But Reitman said that hope isn’t completely lost yet. In fact, he was adamant that it’s going to happen.
“A lot of directors are throwing their hats in. We’re starting the meetings. We’re going to do it,” the 67-year-old director told People on Monday.
As for the cast, Reitman himself isn’t sure yet if Bill Murray, who starred as Peter Venkman in the films, will going to join them.
“There will be many people from the original cast. You’re really asking about Bill Murray, and I have no idea. All the other movies I made with Bill, he never told me he was doing it until... well, the longest was two weeks. ‘Meatballs,’ he told me he was doing it the day before.”
Murray also worked with Reitman in the 1981 comedy “Stripes.”
But how about Dan Aykroyd? People’s interview with Reitman doesn’t mention if the 61-year-old Academy Award nominee, who played Ray Stantz and co-wrote the films with Ramis, will still be a part of the second sequel. But for fans, his involvement is a given.
Ernie Hudson, who played Winston Zeddemore, will reprise his role.
“It’s about to happen,” the 68-year-old actor said. “Unfortunately, Harold is not with us anymore. But it’s going to happen. It’s going to be really, really good, which is why it’s taken so long.”
That’s not hard to believe. Children of the ‘80s and their children are already anticipating the film, and by faith, they know it would be really good.
“The fans have been amazing,” Hudson continued. “Without any studio support, they make their outfits and cars and Ectomobiles. I was in Brussels, and about 50 guys showed up with their Ghostbuster outfits on. In every state in the country, there are Ghostbuster chapters. It’s cool. It’s nice to be a part of.”
Ramis died on February 24 after succumbing to complications of vasculitis. He was 69.
“Harold brought a groundedness to everything he did,” Hudson remembered his co-star. “He was a smart guy, and I think that will be missing. There’s something about Harold that nobody can replace. [Ghostbusters 3] will be good, but it won’t be what it could have been.”
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Brad Pitt Still in Love with Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston, Staying with Angelina Jolie for Sake of Kids, Claims Brad's Psychic
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
- Transfer News: Manchester United's Possible Transfer Options For This Season
Join the Conversation
- ‘The Bold And The Beautiful’ Spoilers For Aug. 22, 2014: Liam’s Confession About Paris To Hope And Deacon’s Revelation To Brooke In ‘B&B’ [WATCH VIDEO]
- Kendall And Kylie Jenner Make Their Big Brother Proud
- Chuck Zito Apologises For Offensive Comment On Christy Mack Beating
- ‘True Blood’ Final Episode Thank You: Watch Sookie Ask Whether God Made Us All, Find Out Why 'True Blood' Is Ending [VIDEO]
- Kanye West's 2010 Album 'My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy' is Album of the Decade
- James Foley Beheading Video Has Play-Acting Portions – Video Experts Say
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- Upcoming Sony Xperia Z3 With Dual-SIM Support Gets Approved In China; Full Specifications Revealed; Amber-Coloured Xperia Z3 Tipped
- More Nexus 8/Nexus 9 Release Confirmed with More Leaks and Out of Stock Nexus 7 and 10
- James Foley: Release of Beheading Video by ISIS Meant to Attract More Recruits to Join the Cause – Intelligence
- 2015 Ford Mustang: Right-Hand Drive Pony Car To Be Available In Australia Next Year
- James Foley: ISIS Demanded Multimillion Ransom, US Refused To Pay---Reports