‘Ghostbusters 3’ To Happen, Director Ivan Reitman Confirms
By Anne Lu | April 9, 2014 3:33 PM EST
“Ghostbusters 3” will happen, filmmaker Ivan Reitman vows. The producer and director of the first two “Ghostbusters” film has confirmed that a third is officially a go.
The first film was a critical and commercial success when it was released in 1984, prompting a sequel, which was released in 1989 to mixed reviews but box office success.
A third film has been rumoured for decades, but it appeared to be permanently halted after Harold Ramis’ death in February.
Ramis not only co-starred in the films as Dr Egon Spengler, he also co-wrote both films.
But Reitman said that hope isn’t completely lost yet. In fact, he was adamant that it’s going to happen.
“A lot of directors are throwing their hats in. We’re starting the meetings. We’re going to do it,” the 67-year-old director told People on Monday.
As for the cast, Reitman himself isn’t sure yet if Bill Murray, who starred as Peter Venkman in the films, will going to join them.
“There will be many people from the original cast. You’re really asking about Bill Murray, and I have no idea. All the other movies I made with Bill, he never told me he was doing it until... well, the longest was two weeks. ‘Meatballs,’ he told me he was doing it the day before.”
Murray also worked with Reitman in the 1981 comedy “Stripes.”
But how about Dan Aykroyd? People’s interview with Reitman doesn’t mention if the 61-year-old Academy Award nominee, who played Ray Stantz and co-wrote the films with Ramis, will still be a part of the second sequel. But for fans, his involvement is a given.
Ernie Hudson, who played Winston Zeddemore, will reprise his role.
“It’s about to happen,” the 68-year-old actor said. “Unfortunately, Harold is not with us anymore. But it’s going to happen. It’s going to be really, really good, which is why it’s taken so long.”
That’s not hard to believe. Children of the ‘80s and their children are already anticipating the film, and by faith, they know it would be really good.
“The fans have been amazing,” Hudson continued. “Without any studio support, they make their outfits and cars and Ectomobiles. I was in Brussels, and about 50 guys showed up with their Ghostbuster outfits on. In every state in the country, there are Ghostbuster chapters. It’s cool. It’s nice to be a part of.”
Ramis died on February 24 after succumbing to complications of vasculitis. He was 69.
“Harold brought a groundedness to everything he did,” Hudson remembered his co-star. “He was a smart guy, and I think that will be missing. There’s something about Harold that nobody can replace. [Ghostbusters 3] will be good, but it won’t be what it could have been.”
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kendall Jenner Rocks Semi-Nude Balmain Lattice Dress At Paris Fashion Week [PHOTOS]
- Walking Is Superfood For Fitness; Celebrities Who Walk For Health
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
Join the Conversation
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5 Filming Spoilers: Beardless Rick Grimes Seems To Be On The Set
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 1, 2014: Hope Reveals Something To Wyatt And Katie Almost Loses A Loved One [WATCH VIDEO]
- 'The Bachelor Australia' Season 2 Preview: Someone Drops The L Bomb, Marriage Proposal In Season Finale
- ‘Orange is the New Black Story’ Season 3 Update: New Corrections Officer To Be Introduced, Likely To Take Pornstache's Position At Litchfield Penitentiary
- “American Horror Story” Season 4 Spoilers: Emma Roberts' Maggie And Evan Peters’ Jimmy Darling To Be In A Romantic Relationship
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- MH 370 Search In Ocean To Intensify With Hi Tech Ships Joining The Plane Hunt From October
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build
- Nexus 7 Tips and Tricks