Stephanie Rice Rings the Retirement Bell
By Dhrubajyoti Biswas | April 9, 2014 3:12 PM EST
Former Olympic champion Stephanie Rice declared her retirement from swimming and vowed not "to make a comeback."
The 25-year-old Rice made this official statement through her Web site on Wednesday.
"I knew that I really had to take the time for myself to get to the point where I knew 100 per cent what I wanted to do ... And I never wanted to make a comeback, so the decision that I wanted to make was definitely final and coming to that point today and not continuing my swimming career is, it's sad ... Like I definitely feel I'm losing a part of myself but I'm really excited for what's to come," Rice mentioned in a video statement.
Rice was only 19 years old when she made a world record in the national trials 2008 for the Beijing Olympics.
Stephanie bagged three gold medals, winning the 200 and 400 meters titles, followed by the 4x200 meters freestyle relay.
Rice's relation with swimmer Eamon Sullivan also secured her position as a fixture in gossip magazines.
"Going to Beijing and competing and coming home with three golds and three world records was a complete shock and the best moment that I could have ever experienced," she said.
Stephanie suffered from a shoulder injury which led to a dismal performance in the London Olympics. Her failure equally affected the Australian team. She later had to undergo three shoulder surgeries.
"London was really tough ... There were so many things that went wrong for me in that preparation and it was like I was trying so hard to make everything so perfect and everything went wrong," Rice added.
Meanwhile, former athletes, friends and fans paid tribute to the legendary swimmer after announcing her retirement.
A tweet from Australian Olympic Committee stated, "Congratulations (on) an outstanding career! 1 of 7 Aussies to win 3 gold at 1 Games."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Celebrities Who Got Pregnant Using IVF: Busting the Myths About IVF
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Manchester United Transfer News: Arturo Vidal Leaving Juventus for the Red Devils Gaining Momentum
- Roger Federer Forced to Take Down Children's Play Area on his Property in Valbella
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Striker Disappointed with Cesc Fabregas Sale to Chelsea
- 5 Sports Stars Who are Also Into Other Sports
- Manchester United Transfer News: Wilfried Zaha Might Stay After Impressing Van Gaal Against Inter [VIDEO]
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff
- 2014 Ebola Outbreak: ‘Out of control… and Can Get Worse'; Asky Airline Stops Flying to Liberia, Sierra Leone; Liberia Closes Schools