Stephanie Rice Rings the Retirement Bell
By Dhrubajyoti Biswas | April 9, 2014 3:12 PM EST
Former Olympic champion Stephanie Rice declared her retirement from swimming and vowed not "to make a comeback."
The 25-year-old Rice made this official statement through her Web site on Wednesday.
"I knew that I really had to take the time for myself to get to the point where I knew 100 per cent what I wanted to do ... And I never wanted to make a comeback, so the decision that I wanted to make was definitely final and coming to that point today and not continuing my swimming career is, it's sad ... Like I definitely feel I'm losing a part of myself but I'm really excited for what's to come," Rice mentioned in a video statement.
Rice was only 19 years old when she made a world record in the national trials 2008 for the Beijing Olympics.
Stephanie bagged three gold medals, winning the 200 and 400 meters titles, followed by the 4x200 meters freestyle relay.
Rice's relation with swimmer Eamon Sullivan also secured her position as a fixture in gossip magazines.
"Going to Beijing and competing and coming home with three golds and three world records was a complete shock and the best moment that I could have ever experienced," she said.
Stephanie suffered from a shoulder injury which led to a dismal performance in the London Olympics. Her failure equally affected the Australian team. She later had to undergo three shoulder surgeries.
"London was really tough ... There were so many things that went wrong for me in that preparation and it was like I was trying so hard to make everything so perfect and everything went wrong," Rice added.
Meanwhile, former athletes, friends and fans paid tribute to the legendary swimmer after announcing her retirement.
A tweet from Australian Olympic Committee stated, "Congratulations (on) an outstanding career! 1 of 7 Aussies to win 3 gold at 1 Games."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: F1 Driver's Father Says Son In A Desperate Situation
- Manny Pacquiao Chasing Floyd Mayweather Jr. Because Of Money But Says Undefeated American Is Afraid Of Filipino - Analysts
- Floyd Mayweather Trains Justin Bieber In The Boxing Ring
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: Driver's Mother Says People 'Shirking Responsibility' About The Accident
- Novak Djokovic Aims For World No. 1 Rank In 2015, Becker Says
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage