Victims of Convicted Paedophile Priest Ridsdale to Sue Catholic Church in Australia
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | April 9, 2014 3:05 PM EST
Victims of convicted paedophile priest Gerald Ridsdale are set to sue the Ballarat Catholic diocese in Australia.
On Tuesday, Judge Michael Rozenes sentenced Mr Ridsdale to an 8-year jail term with a minimum non-parole period of five years for the sexual abuse of 14 children during the 1960s, 70s and 80s. The 80-year-old former priest is expected to die in prison serving his jail term.
Victims of sex abuse by Catholic priest Finian Egan lived for years in the shadows PIC: Reuters
Vivian Waller, counsel of the 20 people whom Mr Ridsdale victimised, said she has been instructed to file a lawsuit against the Diocese of Ballarat on the note that Mr Ridsdale remained a priest even after it was already known he was a sexual predator because of the church's deliberate negligence and cover-ups.
"(We'll be) noting indeed that the Archdiocese of Melbourne knew since 1975 that Ridsdale was a sexual offender and failed to report these matters to the police or even to take Ridsdale out of circulation and contact with children," she said.
The class suit would be the acid test against Cardinal George Pell and his commitment to make the church more receptive of sexual abuse litigations.
"Victims are tiring of going to the church cap-in-hand asking for handout," Ms Waller said.
"I would call on the Catholic Church of Australia to adopt a unified approach and put out a statement so that victims know where they stand and just simply say we will no longer rely on the Ellis defence."
Notorious Mr Ridsdale abused 53 children in all as he enjoyed the protection of the Catholic church which just moved him from parish to parish throughout his career. His victims included parishioners' children, wards of the state, altar servers, twin brothers and a girl as young as four years old.
He got defrocked only in 1993.
"There is no doubt your conduct plummets to the depths of evil hypocrisy," Mr Rozenes said as he laid down the verdict on Mr Ridsdale. "Your conduct has given rise to disastrous, catastrophic and at times tragic results."
If the class suit against the Ballarat Catholic diocese succeeds, the church will have to pay out millions in compensation.
''I hope that the Archdiocese of Ballarat will abide by the indication of George Pell that the church won't employ certain defences to defeat sexual abuse claimants,'' Ms Waller said.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Male Tennis Players To Watch [PHOTOS]
- What Happens When You Give Up Sex For 12 Months? – Dialogue With Peter Lynagh – Exclusive
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Female Tennis Athletes [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Jennifer Lawrence Nude Photos and Fellatio Video Hacker Could Face 10 Years In Prison
- Scam: Jennifer Lawrence’s Nude Photos Solidarity Campaign Deceives Women Into Snapping Naked Selfies
- Islamic State: Mother of 2nd Beheading Victim Steven Sotloff Appealed To IS Last Week, Jihadist John Is Still The Knife Wielder
- Peru's Biggest Haul Yields 8.5 Tonnes Of Cocaine
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display