Android 4.5 or 5.0 Lollypop OS Release in June: What to Expect
By Kristin Dian Mariano | April 9, 2014 3:03 PM EST
Google was rumoured to unveil the 4.5 or the 5.0 version of the Android operating system in June.
It has been a long tradition that Google unveils the next generation of Android OS at the annual Google I/O event. This year, the alleged mobile software will be introduced alongside Nexus 8 slate, Nexus 6 smartphone and will herald significant changes to the mobile OS.
Google has not announced the official dessert name yet but consumers can expect to hear it soon. Android dessert name should start with letter "L". Thus, the namesake Lollypop. Other rumoured names are Lemon Cheesecake and Laddu. However, more than the nickname, Android users were more concerned on the new features and improvements that the new mobile OS will bring.
Some of the features users should expect from the next-gen Android OS are: Additional support for processor and graphics chipset; support for 64-bit processors; enable usage of higher RAM chipset; expanded software drivers; better management of defragmentation; retain 512MB RAM support from Android KitKat; wider compatibility with mobile networks; improvements on the camera, video and audio experience; expanded gaming experience; better multitasking, performance and battery life; optimisation for smoother user experience; more usable apps and services; management on bloatware; re-enable microSD card writing support; and segmentation of firmware for older devices.
According to Android Geeks, a Google employee from Dublin revealed that the Android 4.5 or 5.0 will be announced with the rumoured Nexus 8 tablet at the Google's I/O Conference. Moreover, the event will focus on new services Google plans to bring on the market.
The report added that Nexus 8 will replace the current Nexus 7 line as there are lesser competitions in the 8-inch bracket. Furthermore, Nexus 6 is also expected to be launched this year running Android 4.5 as successor of the Nexus smartphone line.
Registration for the Google I/O conference event will begin from Apr. 8 to 10 while the event per se is set on June 25 and 26 in San Francisco, California.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- G20 Summit Awkward Moments: Putin Yawns, Mystery Bubbles Appear, F18 Drama Ensues
- Real Life ‘Frozen’: Snow Overwhelms The US, Kills 7; More To Come (Pictures)
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt in Sydney for ‘Unbroken’ Red Carpet Premiere [PHOTOS]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
Join the Conversation
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- Microsoft Band Wearable Gadget At $199 Is A Sell-Out
- 6 Big Reasons iPhone 6 Plus is Must-Have Black Friday, Christmas 2014 Buy
- NATO To Russia: 'Pull Back Your Troops'
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Nexus 6 Release Date And Price Under AT&T, T-Mobile And Sprint Listed
- Germany, Not U.S., Is The World’s Favorite Country; UK, Canada, Australia Maintain Top 10 Spots